Hi Guys,

when I attach an helicopter on top of another vehicle the engine is getting stuch. Even if I select engine OFF the engine is not stopping and rotar keeps turning although action menu shows Engine ON which means actually engine is off...

Any idea why attach to is breaking the engine of a helicopter?

this is about collision. My problem is engine is getting stuck to its initial state. So if you attach the helicopter to another vehicle you cannot turn on or off its engine anymore properly. What I mean with "Properly" is, game engine states the engine is off (when I check via script isengineon) but the rotors are keep rotating without an end. Or in opposite case, game engine says engine is on but rotors are never coming to full speed

In my experience, the thing being attached TO has no problems, but the thing being attached almost always has some funky weirdness. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

• Like 1

Once its attached can you set its fuel to 0, causing it to turn its own engine off?

If this is eyecandy for a scene and players not on board, you can create an identical vehicle with engine off and replace it.  After scene is over, put the original one back.

• Like 1

Or use simple object. But you'll have to delete and re-create normal vehicle using createVehicle for it to have simulation and work, etc...

It is not scene or something so.  It is a heli which needs to land and user can turn off engine as I can't control his mind. If he stops the engine, then engine needs to properly turn off. 

Will a GetOut/GetOutMan EH which forces engine off be okay? Or will the pilot/crew stay in it? You can also do a height condition with a trigger and force engine off that way.

5 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

It is not scene or something so.  It is a heli which needs to land and user can turn off engine as I can't control his mind. If he stops the engine, then engine needs to properly turn off. 

So you are landing on a ship object that has no real surface for player to land on?  If that is the case, you may be able to place a landable surface on it.  I created a landing pad once on the front of the trawler by placing 10 pallets there.   A series of long plank objects could work too.  If you are lucky you can place them just below the surface of the ship object so they are not visible, but still landable/walkable.  Worth a try.

15 hours ago, Harzach said:

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

This is one of those situations where it's best to share your full intent, rather than an abstraction.

• Like 3

Yep, good question!

You don't have to attach your helo in anyway.

Deck landing (player) on a sailing frigate is possible but you need to counter the physx damage (like in video here).

For AI landing, depending on what your deck is made of (existing surface or not), you need to place an invisible helipad at the right altitude, then add in waypoint completion:

this spawn {vehicle _this land "land"; waitUntil {_this distance yourEmptyHelipad < 3} ; vehicle _this engineOn false}

The landing Arma engine is probably expecting a contact prior to cut off the engine on landing. So you just have to help it by the engineOn command. Then, if there is no contact at all (just the empty helipad), the helo will fall in autorotation procedure to the hard ground.

• Like 1

How do you counter that? I can remove damage but heli will sink into that surface after some seconds

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

So you are landing on a ship object that has no real surface for player to land on?  If that is the case, you may be able to place a landable surface on it.  I created a landing pad once on the front of the trawler by placing 10 pallets there.   A series of long plank objects could work too.  If you are lucky you can place them just below the surface of the ship object so they are not visible, but still landable/walkable.  Worth a try.

Sounds a solution.. you placed them via attaching I suspect is that so?

12 minutes ago, Devastator_cm said:

Sounds a solution.. you placed them via attaching I suspect is that so?

Yes sir.  I attached the pallets to the trawler object.  Even when attached they retain their walkability/landability.  I've used pallets and planks to create platforms in the air that AI can stand on many times., so I think its workable.  Good luck matey!

• Thanks 1

What mod? I'm rather sure you don't need all the wooden deck you added. The boat should suffice by its own.

I've had to disable the simulation of boats when trying to land on them otherwise the pitching and rolling destroys the helicopter.

2 hours ago, Devastator_cm said:

no success.... :((((((((

That's too bad.  I just tried it too, inlcuding placing a helipad at same position as platform.  AI can stand on these platforms, but helicopter falls thru it when you turn the engine off.  Another thing to try would be to run a tight loop testing for EngineOff.  When EngineOff attach to ship.  When Engine turned back on and there is enough up-thrust (how do you test for that??? lol), then detach.

Good luck.

51 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

I've had to disable the simulation of boats when trying to land on them otherwise the pitching and rolling destroys the helicopter.

As I wrote above, you can avoid that and even land on a sailing frigate.

I think the problem here comes from the helicopter model. Some modded vehicles have weird bounding box. CUP Harrier for example is always wiggling on its landing gear... Same for some modded planes/helos. And the landing decks have also their own problem. Same problem on USS Freedom deck (I don't know if it's corrected).

Which exact Frigate has than landing ability without any scripting behind? Can you give me the mod name and tell me if you are 100% sure there is no scripting involved? :/

Just now, Devastator_cm said:

Which exact Frigate has than landing ability without any scripting behind? Can you give me the mod name and tell me if you are 100% sure there is no scripting involved? :/

None! I wrote you can avoid disabling simulation, not skipping any script.

Seems like a building object would work.  Attach this Reservior Tower to the ship so the roof of the tower is level with the deck.  You can land and turn off engine.  It worked for me.  Problem is tower is so tall it will stick out below bottom of ship.  But you could hideObject it and only unhide it when a helicopter is attempting to land.  Or you might be able to find a smaller building with a flat roof that will work that won't stick out of bottom of ship.

20180612154710_1.jpg