arma131

enableDebugConsole doesn't work

I've a mission which inexplicably starts to lag so badly that it becomes unplayable. This doesn't occur in the editor but it does happen in singleplayer and not immediately, in fact it usually takes more than 30-40 minutes and it never happens at the same point. So I've tried to debug it by enabling the console.

Unfortunately though enableDebugConsole=2 in my description.ext doesn't work. The console still won't show up in single player.

Has something changed in regard to this command? It used to work just fine.

Worked for me just now. Maybe try 1? You're sure you are in description.ext? Also remember you may need to back out of the scenario menu in order to "reload" the description.ext. 

I've tried enableDebugConsole= 1, 2 and 

enableDebugConsole[] =
{
	"UID"
};

in vanilla without any mods. Still no dice.  The test mission is just one unit with one waypoint. The mission folder contains just the mission.sqm and the description.ext.

I don't know what else to try.

In description.ext? Make sure it is saved as .ext and not .ext.txt or something.

I never use description.ext if I can find something in editor. That's the case for enabling console from attributes menu /general/ states. And no problem so far.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KC Grimes said:

Worked for me just now. Maybe try 1? You're sure you are in description.ext? Also remember you may need to back out of the scenario menu in order to "reload" the description.ext. 

Just a precision:

Since Eden, you don't need to quit the edited scenario to reload the description.ext.

Just return to the edited scenario in Eden. Make all changes you want from your scenario. Be aware that mission.sqm will be overwritten "on real time" by changes in editor (new units, new init fields...). But you can change what you want inside description.ext and all sqf.

Note: On the other hand, a "restart" mission will not reload all the init files, or events if i'm right. Never do that to test your scenario. Always back to edition then new preview.

I guess it is down to preference? Or is it better to do it via Eden attributes? If so, why... I don't use the Eden editor at all really, as you can see:

yHtuNo6.jpg

4 respawn markers at [0, 0] and playable units at [0, 0, 1000]. May seem a bit OTT to some haha. Tidy and perfect for me.

17 minutes ago, HazJ said:

I guess it is down to preference? Or is it better to do it via Eden attributes? If so, why... I don't use the Eden editor at all really, as you can see:

The Eden Editor settings are pretty user friendly and straightforward. I tried to kind of mix and match between it and description.ext, but that became very messy. Especially to make things easier for anyone else viewing the files, I try to stick to Eden as opposed to manual settings in init.sqf and description.ext. It seems like for now it is definitely user preference. 

• Like 1

Sod having to remember to fill in description.ext OR set Eden attributes every time you edit a mission or are testing some mission scripts. Then also remembering to unset it before releasing.

Just place it in a addon and be done with it, debug console always available whilst editing, you just need to remember to unload it if your going to play online of which the server should tell you you have a incompatible addon loaded, or even use a separate profile for editing/playing with a different set of addons, which is my personal preference.

class CfgPatches
{
	class LARs_DebugConsole
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 1.0;
		requiredAddons[] = {};
	};
};

enableDebugConsole = 2;

Or HERE if you dont want to make the addon yourself.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Larrow said:

Sod having to remember to fill in description.ext OR set Eden attributes every time you edit a mission or are testing some mission scripts. Then also remembering to unset it before releasing.

Just place it in a addon and be done with it, debug console always available whilst editing, you just need to remember to unload it if your going to play online of which the server should tell you you have a incompatible addon loaded, or even use a separate profile for editing/playing with a different set of addons, which is my personal preference.

class CfgPatches
{
	class LARs_DebugConsole
	{
		units[] = {};
		weapons[] = {};
		requiredVersion = 1.0;
		requiredAddons[] = {};
	};
};

enableDebugConsole = 2;

Or HERE if you dont want to make the addon yourself.

Thank you Larrow,

I just tried the addon and it finally works. Thanks again.

Nothing wrong with having more than one. :happy:

I am also unable to enable debug console in singleplayer at the moment, having tried both via description.ext and eden editor in vanilla.

Shows up just fine in multi-player, but even with a new, blank scenario with just a player unit - once exported to singleplayer I see no console

I didn't think it was possible to enable in SP, not by default or without a mod. I assumed this was intended behaviour. I don't mean in SP Editor either. I mean SP -> Scenarios.

2 hours ago, HazJ said:

I didn't think it was possible to enable in SP, not by default or without a mod. I assumed this was intended behaviour. I don't mean in SP Editor either. I mean SP -> Scenarios.

Hm, well that would certainly explain it.

I thought I'd seen it in SP before though...and I would have thought it would be sensible to at least have the option to use it, since that functionality is already there in SP when launched through the editor.

Perhaps using a mod is the way to go though. 

Edited by ataribaby
Posted to wrong section, sorry