damotr

"Damotr's" Total Convertion Mod - doubts and permissions

Okay, first of all - I put my nick in quotes on purpose. I do not claim any rights to models, textures nor scripts (only about 50% scripts are purely mine, and that's rough estimation)

This "overhaul mod" was born as I was just changing looks of my OFP/CWA to be more "eye-friendly". Then added some scripts, changed some aspetcs of the game etc. etc. It was not supposed to became mod - it was just hobby, I never intended to rip others addons to create mine, but long story short: after very long time as it became more and more complex I start wondering if showing it off wouldn't be a good idea.

Here starts problem: I'm currenty trying to contact all addonmakers and moders whose work - or part of the work - I used and obtain their permissions. But - many of them are long gone from forum, not responding to e-mails etc.

I want to create full list of this persons as well as "credits-like" animation to present names/nicknames with their work.

Would it be fair, and possible?

Also: as I don't claim this mod to be "mine" and don't want o put my nickname in any more visable place then credits list - would it be okay to use modified logo? To be honest... I just think bar with subtite (Flashpoint style) is nicer.

Side note: I modified (or still modifying as it's not yet ready) all elements like GUI, overview images, missions and campaigns to be coherent.

Here is a little trailer, just to show idea of this whole thing:

If the releasing this mod would be treated as a violation of the rules ... well ... then of course I will not release it.

• Like 3

Have you looked if the original addons/mods have permissions mentioned in their readme and/or license agreement files?

• Like 2

There are basically three types of addons:

- "do whatever you want and mind credits"

- "contact me if you want to use it"

and

- "no readme included"

last one is tricky, I've managed to write down some authors nicks before ofp.gamepark removed all addons.

No readme means the strongest type of restriction: playing only, no editing (except for personal use).

The middle one is the trickiest imo. It does imply that editing is an option, but having to contact the author might mean that they meant to impose restrictions ... or that they wanted to help by sharing knowledge or source files ...

• Like 2

I'm fully aware of that - and it's the reason of starting this topic.

On the other hand: many of addons I used are no longer easy to find, and I though that maybe bringing them back to life and glory to their creator would be enough as a justification.

I will write to you one thing ... I was going through exactly the same and although I got most of the approvals, it's not 100%, that's why the PR MOD thread was closed.

I have been working on the modification for over 3 years and regret that almost no one can see / play it.

If it will be closed - I may still play it and use it as LAN party game. That was original intention.

Many of features that i discovered still aren't popular. Yes, i am using some ten years old models (authors are not available) to show some features and i am awared of publicating here.

Posting addon/mod other content without permission:

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community. People work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. You must get permission to alter someone else's work, to mirror their work or to use it in any way other than for personal use. Without permission please do not edit, mirror, add to your mod pack or edit and share around your private squad.

Unfortunately we cannot control what people do outside of these forums. However, on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission, and we receive a complaint, the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved. Participation in this behavior comes with the risk of being 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so here comes questions: as I'm really don't want to use this without permissions (but the problem is contacting this people) would it be okay - only in case I'm unable to reach someone with any possible means of communication, and all other persons grant me their permissions - to post final mod here? I assume that if there is no possibility of contacting someone via forum/mail/website  it's very unlikeley that they will complain about this thread. As it may seem like bending the rules - my hones intention is to give everyone credits and thank for their work that let OFP shine.

You can wait for a mod to give you an answer. But I can tell you what it's going to be. If you've edited someone else's stuff without their consent, well intended or not, even with credit, you won't be allowed to post it on these boards.

I know not everyone has the skill or time to create the assets and configure them. But it's the only way to avoid problems here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, damotr said:

Okay, so here comes questions: as I'm really don't want to use this without permissions (but the problem is contacting this people) would it be okay - only in case I'm unable to reach someone with any possible means of communication, and all other persons grant me their permissions - to post final mod here? I assume that if there is no possibility of contacting someone via forum/mail/website  it's very unlikeley that they will complain about this thread. As it may seem like bending the rules - my hones intention is to give everyone credits and thank for their work that let OFP shine.

The answer is :  Absolutely not! 

Without the previous authors' explicit consent, you can do nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Understood. Well... then it's time to do miracles and find this guys :P

In the future, that should always be your first step.

It not only saves violating someone else's IP rights, but also accidentally incorporating a stolen mod or just plain wasting your own time. 

As I said earlier: all of this was intended as mod only for my personal use and to have fun. If relasing it will be impossible then  it's okay with me. I don't want to violate any rules and that's why I decided to ask - taking into account circumstances that the creators are often unreachable.

Yes, and all this thread was to make sure it's possible or not. "Personal use" was just to explain why I started modding, and why it's not waste of time for me :)

So out of curiosity, how many addons you talking about? Everything? Or just a few?

BD Grenade Pack

FML_beretta471 by MIG (Luis Pinho)

ORCS Russian Weapons Pack

ORCS Russian RPG Launchers

CoC_Mines

SJB Weapon Pack

JAM3

LSR Weapons pack

Police

LSR Delta Rangers, Pilots & Seals

PSY_SOV: Psykke

Libyan Army soldiers: Ironsight

HYK Modern U.S. Forces Infantry: Models and Textures by Hyakushiki

COMBAT! Modern U.S. APC Crew Pack

OPFOR (and Islands) by Ballistic Addon Studios 

ORCS Russian Infantry in KZM suits

FML Civilians

MIG Animals:

Semper Fidelis Addons (CH53, LAV-X, HMMWV Packs)

COMBAT! HEMMT, HUMMWV Pack

RHS (Tanks, GAZ66, Mi24 Packs)
WW3 (BMPs)

M1A2 SEP Pack

INQ M60
M-109 ADATS by DKM-Mod

5t Truck Pack by Mp

Specnaz mod URALs

USMC BELL/TEXTRON UH-1N

Dustoff

Ah-1W - Super Cobra by Vit

Mi2

SA-13 (DKMM)

ZSU234

UAZ

GAZ13

BMRD-2

A-26

U.S.S. Ashland LSD 48

FFG Oliver Hazard Perry and FFG Krivak IV by Gnat

Vietnam PBR by Farside

Zodiac by Fox2

A-10A Thunderbolt II by Diesel

AV-8B (from WW4 Extended)

SU-24,AN-72 Coaler,Mig29 by Footmunch

Sterrable Parachute by Vosku

Combat Diver addon

USMC Symbols by Phaeden

Warsaw Pact Army Symbols And Markers by Robin

PCW JUNGLE TRAP Made by MiG upon a script by Aeon

RKSL Camo nets

OWP ZIL, MI8, MI26 and Pilots

Fishing boats

NK Hole

WW2 Objects

KLA powerlines

KLA construction

AGS Industrial

AGS Port

NAM Pack Objects

CAT Afghanistan

DMA Libya

FFUR

FDF

CSLA

WGL 4

WGL 5

WGL 5.1

TONAL Redux

Mapfact many addons

SLX

Chernobyl Pack
ORCS Russian Federation Static Machineguns

M46 Fieldgun by DKM-Mod

Pack Mortar by Ksatryia

But in many cases is just part of model, one or two scripts etc.
Eg. From whole FDF I used only model of UAV to transform it into RQ-2.

Not only are some of these mods ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED to use (as the authors have explicitly stated that permission will never be granted), but some of the authors will automatically seek legal action against anyone that attempts to use them. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That's makes it clear - mod wont be released. Topic may be closed.