Hi there

In 2013 I did an Independence class LCS that served merely as a demonstrator. The engine has still the old dreaded OFP 72 meter GEO LOD limit so it wasn't possible to use the LCS at it's best.

I have been doing some experiments and I think I can get ingame an Al Mubshir class HSSV. It is 72 meter long and I have reduce it slightly to keep under the 72 meters limit.

I have started with the modelling last week and I can show you a couple of screenshots soonTM.

Oman7.jpg

My idea will be to make it fully walkable, other features will depend on how I can manage to get things done.

It is not a big vessel. It can transport vehicles and has a ramp to disembark them in harbors and can operate with medium helicopters. It can also transport a HUGE quantity of troopers so I think it will be more interesting than just a missile boat. It can also deploy RHIBs, gunboats, zodiacs, etc... so it coulb be used as a base for landing ops or as a mothership.

Since 2013 my modelling skills have improved a lot so now I can get much mor work faster. It won't be RKSL quality but I think it will be good enough to be used....

BTW, I will release it untagged so anyone can edit and modify it as he/she wishes...

STATUS 20/01/2019

Resolution LOD: 65% 

GEO LOD 90% (Ship is 100% walkable and character interaction with the ship is almost perfect)

PHYSX LOD 90%

Shadow LOD 90% (some glitched on the bow area)

Roadway LOD 100% (Ship is 100% walkable and character interaction with the ship is almost perfect).

- Optimized number of polygons in the railings.

- Added a 30 mm Millenium Turret.

- Animated boat docking system in the starbord boat bay (90% done. Still have to model and animate a few details but the system works).

- Animated boat docking system in the port boat bay (90% done. Still have to model and animate a few details but the system works. Now you can load a gunboat or two RHIBs or SDVs or a combination or both).

- Added vehicle in vehicle cargo capabilities.

- Animated stern cargo ramp (cargo bay is fully enterable by land vehicles).

TO DO

- Complete modelling and animating all interior doors.

- Finish modelling the bridge and cargo space.

- Add a UAV control dialog that can be used from one ship turret (this will be added if I can understand how the damned Dialogs and scripts work)

- add a way for getting fallen characters back on the ship if the fall into the water.

- Add pathway LOD (documentation isn't clear on this).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good luck!!!!

Good luck :) I think other mods have shown that larger ships are most useful as static objects with the current capabilities of the engine (CUP LHD, FFAA B.A.M, etc.) so I am very much looking forward to it 

Well....

The idea I have is to make a ship that, at least, can be walk-able in it's entire GEO LOD. Even if the man class doesn't move along the ship (let's hope it get's solved in the enfusion engine.....) this model can be useful as a mothership of sort or as a mobile base for landing ops.

The engine already allows moving class carx, class tankx and class shipx without resorting to attachto or cargo system.

I would say I'm right now at around 30% of modelling (I have finished the basic hull shape and mission bay) and I'm adding the superstructure now. I'm fairly bad at texturing and adding materials but I hope it ends up something acceptable

• Like 1

Modellibg is progressing steadily.

I have finished the basic shape of the hull and mission bay and I'm modeling right now the Main deck and upper deck plus the bridge.

After that I will start adding details. I will post a couple object editor screenshots during this weekend.

BTW...

The Austal homepage has the deckplans of almost all ships. Very useful resource for modelling. I have found a couple more pages with the complete deckplans of ships

• Like 4

Maybe in Arma 4 if they solve the 72 meter max GEO LOD limit. And the problem that class Man doesn't move along with vehicles....

Anyway... I'm about to finish the HSSV hull and I'm starting to add small details and features. I'm null at texturing and materials so don't expect a HQ result.

I have also started with the GEO LOD and I hope I'll be able to get it ingame in two or three weeks. I will try to post some pictures soon....

• Like 3

Modelling is peogressing steadily and I have finished the hull and bridge and 90% of the interior. I'm starting with the small details and bridge instruments. 

I want to add a compass, clocks, and a couple more instruments. I have started with them too.

I'm very bad at texturing so don't expect a high quality finished product. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, mankyle said:

I'm very bad at texturing so don't expect a high quality finished product. 

Some texture is better than no texture. Keep it up.

Some texture is better than no texture. Keep it up.

I have started adding a couple textures, and It doesn't look as bad as I thought…. i have to change a couple areas so they look better but it is more a matter of patience than skill…. Surfaces are so big than I'm using tiled textures for the hull and horizontal surfaces. it's easy to spot they are tiled but when I add more details I hope it will be less obvious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mankyle said:

it's easy to spot they are tiled

I've had this issue when adding large scratches to tiles textures. Very easy to see the same scratch over and over again. Perhaps scaling your UV's so the tiled textures aren't so obvious from island to island. Would be nice to see your modelling progress too!!

I've had this issue when adding large scratches to tiles textures. Very easy to see the same scratch over and over again. Perhaps scaling your UV's so the tiled textures aren't so obvious from island to island. Would be nice to see your modelling progress too!!

Yes... Well. I got anxious and I got the ship ingame. No materials and almost no textures. The GEO LOD and the Road LOD work and the ship is completely walkable. I still have to tinker with the mass in the GEO LOD but helicopters can land, men can move along the whole ship (all 72 meters of it) and Fire Geometry LOD works too....

I thought there would be more problems to get it ingame…. I still have to add a LOOOOOT of details such as more lamps, little boxes and more thingies but it works3258BBC8F9EE554E56EB46FF8089D2DF5AD4016F

img845312D81CC783BA24CB47B7DF00252B23222EEF3C3A10014B1DC3E8C9D3CEDAF0DF2D4345635208B4492A1027B35DBD8B511C6D702E959D59F4C641

EDIT: I have updated the first post to reflect the status of the project so it gets easier to follow it.

• Like 8

A couple more Screenshots....

It can transport a HUGE quantity of vehicles. And, with PHYSx, it is not necessary to use Vehicle in Vehicle. I-m going to reduce the number of lamps. I want the mission bay to be completely illuminated by adding lights. The ship will also have position lights.

Im going to arm it with two gun turrets. I haven't started them yet. step by step

BC42650E2FE970E758A248C38FA2AEFF6C381505

737330A50A32E2B5E7DEE5E2B48AB9EB9D8157D51CC912B2D7FDDC480EAEDA81D3AA8E81CEBAFA08

Once the stern ramp has been lowered characters and vehicles can get inside of the ship. I will probably use Vehicle in Vehicle for rolling vehicles but I-m not sure yet.

For RHIBs and gunboats I will probably use attachto and an script system. 

And this is the place where sitting places for more than a hundred soldiers will be

7DA4B08122D20CA112CA68EF8B7BD38A8AFA9DCB

Textures are obviously, WIP

• Like 4

G'day Mankyle,

She sure is looking good. Can't wait for the finished vessel.

Do you think you will ever revisit the LCS?

Keep up the great work.

1 hour ago, wansec_6 said:

G'day Mankyle,

She sure is looking good. Can't wait for the finished vessel.

Do you think you will ever revisit the LCS?

Keep up the great work.

I'm reengineering props from BIS  Carrier and I will reuse the carrier textures. In one or two weeks the ship will have a lot more details.

And regarding the LCS... No. I don't think I will revisit it.

Thanks for the reply Mankyle.

Looking forward to the further development.

1 hour ago, wansec_6 said:

Thanks for the reply Mankyle.

Looking forward to the further development.

Step by step, Wansec_6...

I have just discovered that if I lengthen 1 more meter the stern ramp, I go over the 72 meter GEO/Roas LOD limit and I start having problems. I will have to change the design of the ramp.

I'm modelling also boat cradles for the boat bays. I'm going to try to script things so I can load 2 Submarines/zodiacs/RHIBs or one gunboat.

I have started also the boat bay sliding doors. I will post more pictures during this next week.

• Like 1

Looks good bud. If you need any groups to test it in multiplayer scenarios I know a very dedicated group that will be happy to test it in a few missions immediately even as a WIP item. :f:

Maybe in a couple of weeks Nichols. I take your word. I want to add as many details as I can before releasing it.

Been following this closely, it's already looking pretty mental, it's a shame there's not more mods like this being made. I stand by the fact that naval based actions is still way too neglected for a game like Arma!

• Like 1

BIS is going to add another ship in the middle of July update (Version 1.84). It's going to be called Liberty and will be able to deploy assets, and will have SAM and CIWS turrets plus an artillery turret.

What I would give to be able to walk and move on moving ships....

• Like 1

Two question for the coding gurus...

- Is there a way to do a shotgun like weapon in arma??

Something that creates a cloud of projectiles?? In arma 2 Op Arrowhead there was a Saiga shotgun, I think...

I would to do something similar to the AHEAD ammunition that the Rheinmetall Skyguard turret uses.

- and second... is there a tutorial for puting sensors in a vehicle (dummy proof if it is possible)

Thanks mates