pognivet

How to allow a player to see chat without him having ItemRadio

I'm making a mission set in WW2 where not every individual person has a radio. Despite this, I would like an AI to say a few useful phrases in vehiclechat while everyone is in an airplane just before doing a parajump. Unfortunately, nobody can see any of the messages because nobody has a radio. Is there any way to allow players to see chat without them having to have ItemRadio in their inventory? Is there a way to create a custom chat channel that can be seen without them having to have a radio? I want to have sort of a localchat for AI that are near the player to say phrases that people across the map can't hear, and I don't mean audio phrases but text phrases since I have no means to do convincing voice acting for a mission. Thanks.

Is there any way to do it in a chatlog sort of way similar to how the radio works? Some people read faster than others, but conversations need to proceed rather quickly for the sake of the mission. Some people will forget things they've just been told and need to refer back to it like you can by pressing Page Up and Page Down with the radio log. Is there any simple way to implement this or, if not, is there some pre-written script suite you know of that does this job?

I'm trying to develop a storyline with characters for my mission while stile having it based around total combat in order to get the player more immersed. The only problem is there will be a certain part like you're in a prison totally stripped of anything but a prisoner uniform and maybe a cell mate will say like "If you ever get out of here go to al-Shabab, near the Mosque. Talk to my brother Sadiq Abdullah, tell him I sent you and he will work out a plan." yet of course nobody will remember all that info later. I could add it into a player's diary as an entry, but that's kind of weird to me and there's other situations other than the one I just described where it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

I'll try out dynamic text and see what I'm able to come up with it.

You could use CreateDiaryRecord as a log to record the relevant info accessible from the players map screen.

Edit: after rereading this info was posted above. Shows I really skipped a large section. Oops. Sorry.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:35 AM, HazJ said:

You can hide the whole chat display.

EDIT: Misread. You can use another form of messaging. systemChat for example.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/systemChat

So systemchat can be seen by anyone in the entire game no matter what type of equipment they have? I'll try it out and see how it works.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to create certain radio channels that operate the same as the normal ones do, but for which you can set the condition needed to be fulfilled in order to communicate on that channel. I don't know if this is possible in Arma 3 scripting and if it is I don't know where to even start on making it work. I'm almost a hundred percent confident that there's some sort of module like this for VBS.

In a mission I'm making right now I'm making a large scale Soviet attack on a German line. As the Soviet convoy with all its tankriders rolls down the road I want to have a NKVD guy standing on the back of a truck on the side of the road yelling generic shit. Things like "Comrade Stalin says not one step back!" and "Traitors and cowards will be shot!" and "Remember your motherland as you go forward!". I could use say3D on him and then try to either rip a scene out of a movie/game like Enemy At The Gates and use that or record myself on microphone doing a bad Russian accent for a few minutes, but I don't think either one of these will pay off in terms of immersion compared to just some text on the edge of the screen.