I've been around long enough to see where this is going......:smile_o:

Always polemics....:down:

I'm only trying to enrich the game

to give the possibility to have more fun....:shrug:

this is my source:

http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-23150.html

I heavy modified that source model to adapt it at ArmA engine...

Now please Can We focus on the big work that I still have to do?

(I dedicated already 30 hours of my life for this project)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah fair point max, just pointing out there are alot of ripped models from that game. After doing abit of digging myself with a predator model I discovered 20th century fox do and will threaten lawsuits.

I'm not saying stop your work, I'm not saying your doing a bad thing, I'm saying you might wanna be a bit careful with what you replicate. 

Enhance the game, engine, whatever your reason maybe? But don't be surprised if you receive some sort of finger wagging and frowning.

Adding the source link (of the model) to your OP may have stemmed the flow of naysayers. 

Best of luck going forward.

• Like 1

I love all of Max's works.

There were Aliens, Predators and Colonial Marines mods since OpFor so things can be worked out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EO said:

Adding the source link (of the model) to your OP may have stemmed the flow of naysayers. 

Best of luck going forward.

True, but that has to have come from somewhere. 

That's where the problem would be. If it's ripped from a game like my predator model was, that's where the IP has been compromised. 

I'd like to see both aliens and predators in Arma 3, it was a good mod for A2, so why not. It's the source of the models you need to be careful of.

Im totally not against enrichment of the game.

What I was after with my question was exactly that you don't waste your time in case you have a model that is ripped from a game and you get DMCAd at some point by the maker (or worse).

With most of the sites like that you can almost never know if a model made after some popular IP is self made of ripped from a game, especially if the model is free and there is no author listed at all.

So if it is a rip you could get into trouble with it is all Im saying.

edit:

I actually found the model on another site named as Aliens vs. Predator xenomorph. Do with this info what you will.

Sincerly I don't know what I want to do......

one thing is sure:

If We going to looking for the models of 90% of mods on line

We'll find a lot of surprise....

Especially on Steam, where there is not control....

I had to ask many times to remove my Mods, put on steam without my permission.

But If We think also this:

9 hours ago, Valken said:

There were Aliens, Predators and Colonial Marines mods since OpFor so things can be worked out.

maybe We should consider the possibility to finish this project....

That's an option. There's also the predator mod for A2, that could be ported. But it's getting the permission.

Don't mistake me max, I have loved this franchise for 30 odd years, I'd love to see it in Arma. It's just finding the correct legit way about it I think ya need to look at.

By the looks of it, you fell in the same trap I did. 

It is indeed the way stuff is published and how you give it to the community.

Starting to see you are actually learning this. ;)

I was mislead into using a model myself, which in the end seemed ripped from a game. Had to restart the project.

Everyone here wants to enhance the game here. Who ever tries to make money from it should do it in a legit way (Like myself)

Monetising mods is not one of those ways. 

Keep on it! And I know for a fact Spookygnu has some interesting stuff for you. 

Max, I think the clue is in the price tbh. Anything free that is replicated is gunna be ripped content. 

I got ripped of by some russian, he sold me his predator on cgtrader. It was cheap but it was only when HG pointed out it the same he did to you. So we looked deeper.

If you see a model with little to no description of the mesh and the associated materials/textures, that's one clue. But the other one will be the rest pose. It's rare for someone to go to the trouble of creating a model set up for animation and unwrapping, and just give that away. Especially if the standard is decent.

That static mesh from Cgtrader looks like it would be a major pain to get into a game setting.

I've decided to try with the new 3d free model from Cgtrader........

If I'm not able to reach the same standard as the previous model I'll abandon this project....

I don't have money to buy a 3d model, this is my passion not my work......

• Sad 1

@maxjoiner try to get in touch with @Rawner135 : I remember he began working on a 3D model from scratch. If he is still active, he might help you?

7 hours ago, maxjoiner said:

I've decided to try with the new 3d free model from Cgtrader........

If I'm not able to reach the same standard as the previous model I'll abandon this project....

I don't have money to buy a 3d model, this is my passion not my work......

I would not use a free model, as most are usually ripped/stolen from other sources. And releasing such content as an addon would be in violation of our forum rules.

3 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

I would not use a free model, as most are usually ripped/stolen from other sources. And releasing such content as an addon would be in violation of our forum rules.

Thanks for the info, but this model is free and It's not ripped is original:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/animals/other/xenomorph-69bf59cf93587ca5a8b19bfea8e1e255

It's inconceivable to think that a modder must use his economic resource to improve a game at payment,

with all the legal material that internet offers for free...(my personal opinion)

However, considerating the pressure in this forum every once That I post a new project, 

I prefer to continue this discussion on my Xeno project in this forum:

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=40050

Who wants to give me a suggestions or advices is invited to do it on that forum...

Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, maxjoiner said:

However, considerating the pressure in this forum every once That I post a new project

Seriously? Everyone here is helping you creating a legal mod, one that wouldn't risk a DMCA and could be used by the broader community, unlike your Fallout 3 zombies (I notice you were clever enough to not post them here or on the WS)...

But if you want to take the short road and have ripped content available on Armaholic only, that's your call...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, maxjoiner said:

Thanks for the info, but this model is free and It's not ripped is original:

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/animals/other/xenomorph-69bf59cf93587ca5a8b19bfea8e1e255

Well i was only saying what is the norm for free models, this maybe an exception.

It's inconceivable to think that a modder must use his economic resource to improve a game at payment,

with all the legal material that internet offers for free...(my personal opinion)

If you want a reliable and legal model then it maybe required. Especially if your not prepared to create your own model from scratch like most addon makers.

However, considerating the pressure in this forum every once That I post a new project, 

I prefer to continue this discussion on my Xeno project in this forum:

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=40050

Who wants to give me a suggestions or advices is invited to do it on that forum...

Thanks to all

Everyone who has posted in this thread has been given you advice and what is best practice. None of it has been hostile towards you.

• Like 1

No-one  expects you to spend money Max. I don't think that even came up. A lot of sites besides this one don't allow ripped content. It's not a new development.

• Like 2

Wow, congratulations Max! I've been thinking about making a horror 'alien' mission but there are no alien mods around, this project looks interesting!

Have a nice evening mate.