scotg

Creating Tutorials, Gauging Interest

I was thinking about starting some tutorials for making addons. There is always more to learn, but I have learned a great deal so far and may be able to help mod makers, especially artists, bridge some gaps in the process.

As some of you may know, I have an ongoing addon featuring vehicles and gear inspired by GI Joe. To demonstrate the development of these assets, I have created videos highlighting their current performance within the Arma 3 environments. I have also held a couple of live stream demonstrations. This is mainly for publicity, in hopes of making Arma 3 and GI Joe fans aware, and to get more fans excited about the project. It recently occurred to me that even if  people aren't fans of GI Joe or the mod, I can still use some of my models to instruct artists on some finer points to creating excellent real-time game assets.

If this sounds interesting and useful to you, let me know! With enough interest I could help other mod makers hone their craft, for Arma 3 or for general purposes.

Edited by scotg
More effective title, hopefully
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, scotg said:

If this sounds interesting and useful to you, let me know! With enough interest I could help other mod makers hone their craft, for Arma 3 or for general purposes.

Sounds like a great idea, videos on creating assets etc would be a really helpful for new addon makers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Sounds like a great idea, videos on creating assets etc would be a really helpful for new addon makers.

This is what I'm thinking :yeahthat:, but I also wanted to include some things that aren't explained very well elsewhere. I have some advanced techniques that add some polish and shine to mods, and I think it could bump mod'ers and their mods up to a new level.

This is all subject to how much of a need it would fill. It's not easy making those videos, so if I only get a handful of people who are serious enough about it then the effort would be too high for the outcome.

• Like 1

As long as the video series will also be kept updated if new better ways of doing things come up, or something was missing from them.

There has been quite a lot of newb trouble relating to terrain building in Arma that has been sourced to video tutorials that are made poorly and not updated/fixed.

People seem to look for video tutorials more often than written ones (not that theres many of those either) so it would be essential they are well made and kept updated. (not that I think its not your goal here, just wanted to voice my concern)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

As long as the video series will also be kept updated if new better ways of doing things come up, or something was missing from them.

There has been quite a lot of newb trouble relating to terrain building in Arma that has been sourced to video tutorials that are made poorly and not updated/fixed.

People seem to look for video tutorials more often than written ones (not that theres many of those either) so it would be essential they are well made and kept updated. (not that I think its not your goal here, just wanted to voice my concern)

It's a valid concern. I remember scouring for written and recorded tutorials (and occasionally still do); it's often frustrating. I can't say how up to date I can keep them just yet, since BIS are ever-changing as well, but I do make a point of trying to be thorough in all my endeavors. Also, I assume there are many techniques and procedures that I don't know about. Off the top of my head, here is a list of some of the things I could cover:

• Making textures (*.paa files) - _co, _ca, _smdi, _nohq, _as, _ti, and _dm; What they are, where they are used, and how to create and convert them (a mix of advanced and easy stuff).
  • Editing Materials (RVMATs) - basics, like how they serve as a texture container, but also some advanced set ups for a variety of surfaces.
  • Modeling and special materials and texturing for lights turning on and lighted dashboards.
  • Techniques for creating shadow maps (for _as and _co tex) on static AND animated/dynamic objects - how to make them still look plausible when motion is involved.
  • Modeling for animated parts, especially mechanical and flexible - helps addon vehicles and objects look less stiff and out of place.
  • Personal experience tips on how to create models in the first place so that they can be quickly re-rigged in the Object Builder and model.cfg.
  • Further explanation of instruments and gauges - how to make them and get them working.
  • Personal experience tips on creating assets based on real life.
  • Personal experience tips on creating fictional assets.
  • Making a set of color options for an asset and getting them to select one randomly when it's spawned.
  • How to make a tank's ground wheels of different sizes look good - a combination of modeling, model.cfg setup, and config.cpp setup.
  • How to make PiP and video feeds.
  • How to make tank tracks.
  • How to make tires and rims.
  • How to make glass and other alpha, plus the difference between _co alpha and _ca alpha, and when to use them. Also, more on how to set up different materials to utilize the same alpha file.

I'm sure there's more I have forgotten to list, but as I think of them I can update it. Keep in mind this is contingent on how serious people are to get them. Many of these techniques aren't even covered in outdated or hard to understand tutorials. That being said, I have a Patreon page already set up for videos and streaming of my current addon vehicles - assets that are works in progress. As of this writing, it's a brand new site, and I only have five followers at various levels. I would need at least twenty-five followers at the "Apprentice" tier to justify the effort. This would cover the cost of making it exclusive to those who are serious about upping their craft. This idea could fly or flop, but I'm prepared for either way.

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, scotg said:

That being said, I have a Patreon page already set up for videos and streaming of my current addon vehicles - assets that are works in progress. As of this writing, it's a brand new site, and I only have five followers at various levels. I would need at least twenty-five followers at the "Apprentice" tier to justify the effort. This would cover the cost of making it exclusive to those who are serious about upping their craft. This idea could fly or flop, but I'm prepared for either way.

good luck with that, with the ImadeDis mentality, it is unlikely to justify that effort

ed2.png

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, PuFu said:

good luck with that, with the ImadeDis mentality, it is unlikely to justify that effort

22 hours ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

lmao

LOL :hehe:
Maybe I am being misunderstood. I'm not offering my models and textures for dissection; I'm offering to show viewers certain techniques I use to create them. I'm okay with people making their own, unique models and textures from watching the videos, and that would be the expectation. Furthermore, the videos would not be a start-to-finish coverage of any one of my projects; rather, they would show various examples of how people can make more than basic mod assets. I would be a fool to think that people wouldn't try to copy what I do, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm.

Perhaps, you're right about it not being worth the effort, but there is definitely a need for edification in this community. AmmAyeRite?

All I understand from this is that you want $500 to make tutorial videos. AmmAyeRite? I may be wrong but good luck lol

14 hours ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

All I understand from this is that you want $500 to make tutorial videos. AmmAyeRite? I may be wrong but good luck lol

Yeah, that's about right, but... oh I see. We have ourselves a passive-aggressive naysayer who's too passive to actually say nay.

I get it, though. It's a good chunk of money. I actually doubted making tutorial videos would be worth my time, and started having second thoughts about doing any of this. Then I decided to set up the payout the way it is, in hopes of actually dissuading people who talk game but have no follow through. That's why it would be for the serious and multiple people. I suppose I could do it for less, but as an instructor I've noticed people stay dedicated when they actually invest in themselves. The more people would sign up, the less pricey that subsequent videos could *possibly* become, because, hey, I'm not tryin'na make big bank here.

I'm just putting feelers out at this point, anyway; no need for mockery. If I did not propose the videos, then I would not know the level of interest.

In case anyone is wondering how good my own creations are - you know, as a kind of yardstick of what I can actually do - then you can get a look at them here:
Works In Progress - judge for yourselves (but please don't bother with leaving cynical remarks).

1 hour ago, scotg said:

Yeah, that's about right

Glad I understand :)

1 hour ago, scotg said:

We have ourselves a passive-aggressive naysayer who's too passive to actually say nay.

You sound very offended, relax lmao

1 hour ago, scotg said:

I actually doubted making tutorial videos would be worth my time, and started having second thoughts about doing any of this.

In your original post you seem like you wanted to do this purely for helping others and never mentioned anything about needing $500 to start making the videos. Which if that was true, I don't see why you would be doubting if it was worth your time? But then you mentioned that there would be a paywall and that makes me think that you planned on not making the videos for free the whole time. That's why you doubted if it was worth your time because you probably knew you weren't going to get the money you're asking for. This is all just my speculations. But if I am right then I think you should have made it clear in your original post that the tutorials would not be for free, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But like I said dude, good luck. I'll leave you be :)

1 hour ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

You sound very offended, relax lmao

I don't find trolls offensive; I find them irritating. There's a difference. ;)
I was relaxed, but now it's hard to be at peace knowing my biggest fan is leaving...

1 hour ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

But like I said dude, good luck. I'll leave you be :)

:)

To clarify for others, I don't see anywhere in my original post that implies doing any tutorials for free, and I think if it were such an easy task, then more tutorial videos would have been done for free already. I empathize with you if you felt misled, but as clever as I can be with words sometimes, I can't even see any accidental trickery regarding free videos. (Reading it back a few times, the only misleading part might be where I talk about using my mod assets to help people learn, but as I clarified in a previous post, I'm only saying that they would be useful in a video and that I'm not offering models for dissection.)

I'm here getting a feel for any interest there may be for better tutorials and simply wanted to propose the idea. I did a little number crunching after the initial post and then realized it might not be so easy. IT'S GOING TO COST SOMEBODY SOMETHING, so it only makes sense to pass it on to the ones who would benefit from the information. $500 is low, like ridiculously low, especially when being spread out among 25 people. Honestly, I would like it to be $5 for 100 people or $1 for 500 people, but I didn't think I could get that many supporters. Don't be afraid of a little capitalism; everyone is just trying to make ends meet. Looking back on my experiences, if any one person or group made a comprehensive, understandable, and effective series of tutorials for modifying this game, I'd have gladly paid them for the efforts because it would have saved me time and headaches.

The good thing about having subscribers, in my mind, is that I would build a rapport with them. I'm imagining they would tell me something like, "Hey, I watched such and such video, by another mod maker, on making SMDI textures, but it seems to miss out on something. Help!" At which point, I could simply explain the missing steps, or I could even create a better video if the problem was large enough.

For future reference, it's not necessary for anyone to come into this thread and say things like, "good luck, lol." We all know it's mocking when otherwise well wishes are topped off with laughter. If people don't like the idea I'm proposing, then they are kindly invited to close their pie holes, or go elsewhere if they wish. :)

9 hours ago, scotg said:

LOL :hehe:
Maybe I am being misunderstood. I'm not offering my models and textures for dissection; I'm offering to show viewers certain techniques I use to create them. I'm okay with people making their own, unique models and textures from watching the videos, and that would be the expectation. Furthermore, the videos would not be a start-to-finish coverage of any one of my projects; rather, they would show various examples of how people can make more than basic mod assets. I would be a fool to think that people wouldn't try to copy what I do, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm.

Perhaps, you're right about it not being worth the effort, but there is definitely a need for edification in this community. AmmAyeRite?

No, i understand it quite well - you created a thread to see if there is interest in having people pay for some tutorials you make. And i said it is unlikely because people who do stuff already know their way around, or they have other people to ask directly specific questions, and most of the other ones are less interested in doing, because of ImadeDIS mentality.

also, making proper tutorials take the same amount of time as actually making content, if not more

9 hours ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

I see no problems with getting money for knowledge, or content of any sort - time is money. Will it happen in a community that got used to receiving EVERYTHING for free? unlikely

• Thanks 1

Most folks on Patreon seem to be making less than 200 dollars a month on a regular basis. Often, less. And there's many professional artists counted among them. People with years of experience and education.

It seems to be the same rationale as with youtube. The people making decent money are good marketers. Regardless of the content. They usually have videos that are accessible to all, with extras and more focussed videos for those who want to shell out some cash. That gives potential patrons something to make a decision with at least.

You're already in a niche market. It may be premature to expect money at this early stage. And I only noticed this thread by accident. I doubt many people are even aware of what you're doing outside of your mod.

And like Pufu said. You're dealing with communities that have an unusually emotional response to someone who wants to make money out of a hobby. So you'll have to accept that exists, and deal with it sensibly. There's no point in losing it with the first person that expresses a negative opinion. Because there's likely to be many more. If you don't agree, then state your reasons and leave it at that. I wouldn't advise engaging in to and fro arguments. In much the same way you wouldn't do it at a "regular" job.

But I do wish you luck with your endeavour.:smile_o:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If you do want to go the route of making cash from your passions I would suggest the following;

Throw a broader net. Don’t necessarily focus on Arma but making mods for games in general. This will give a wider audience.

Maybe look to YouTube to start. This is will allow you to build a following and also earn money from ads. As mentioned by a few people, you shouldn’t expect a lot of revenue as it’s hard to earn in an environment where everything is given away. Standing up for Arma players, this mentality isn’t unique to BIs title, more the Internet in general. Look at newspapers for example.

Finally, if you do want to make money online, you’re going to have to learn to turn the other cheek. I’m not saying whether anyone has trolled this thread or not, ppl sometimes take a strongly-put opinion as a troll. Regardless, you as a service provider, and that’s what ‘Ive made this video, help me earn money from it’ essentially is, you’re going to have to give everyone room for their opinion and not react. Even if someone does troll, you can’t afford to alienate possible customers, whether directly or through any bad impressions created by getting in an online pissing match.

Good luck with however you decide to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't look into this threat due to the lame / empty title, but holy cow - a highly relevant topic.

Let's divide this into a feedback on the emotional and factual level.

On an emotional level, it becomes apparent that many talented content creators made bad experiences with putting their work and knowledge out there. This is a general issue of creating stuff for free: There will always be some idiots that try to benefit in a rather... unethical way from it. Unortunately, this often times leads to some kind of patriarchial patronizing/discrediting of those who try to do it anyway. I noticed that on mysef aswell.

On a factual level:

500 bucks is a lot of money, sure, but I see no problem in asking for it. Also, noone said that the 500 bucks have to be paid by a single person.

If 10 people contributed, they'd all get (probably) high-quality knowledge that they can benefit from in the long run. That doesn't sound like a bad deal for me when looking at how much coaching sessions or other tutorials cost.

Let's hope community knowledge will not be stuck behind a paywall someday. Most of people trying to monetize their work have been benefiting from free knowledge and advises of senior members.

• Like 7

Thanks, @laxemann, and some very good advice from the previous three members, @PuFu, @Macser, and @Rich_R. Thank you, gentlemen, for all your insights and kind advice; it is very much appreciated! It is often hard to tell whether someone is having fun or making fun, but I generally have a naive outlook and want to give everybody the benefit of the doubt. When I feel like that is being abused, I can get a little snarky. My bad, everyone.

I started the Patreon after receiving a few requests for it from my followers on youtube, deviantart, etc. I don't want to charge them for the mod, so it's all about the rewards. If the mod stops or takes on a new direction, then at least I will have provided some entertainment for them.

I agree with throwing a broader net. I guess my idea was that there are plenty of other broad nets out there, and very few Arma 3 specific videos that instill confidence in the artists and cyber-protegees that are viewing.

10 hours ago, scotg said:

I started the Patreon after receiving a few requests for it from my followers on youtube, deviantart, etc.

Like you have done, put your work out there make it possible for others to donate, subscribe, and or pay you if they wish to do so, but dont chase the money.

The key is to do what you love, its that thing that gets you up in the morning, and drives you, sure the money will help you may feel "rewarded"

it may help you purchase some needed tools or even help pay some bills all those things are a plus.

Just remember that its about the journey, not the end of the means, if you lose sight of the means, then the end becomes unfulfilling, and loses purpose.

As for Utube, if you want attention, then Utube has a certain Algorithm you need to learn and follow, it really depends, but consistent videos to gain attention

is important if you are going to be creating videos there, its like anything if you make yourself present then people will see you, if you only post a video once every 2-3 months,

well.. depending on the content and the level of interest from those whom may see the video it can go from none, to alot of views, and the addition of subscribers.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

The key is to do what you love, its that thing that gets you up in the morning, and drives you...

Then, it might not be making tutorials. Just like harvesting and building the knowledge in the first place, making tutorials would take me away from the hands-on work of making my models. I don't even like to edit the scripts, but that is a necessity at this point. All of this discussion about donations is driven by a single goal: I want to produce my mod at a faster rate. I am hoping that some kind of income will incline inventive individuals interested in immediate involvement. Pardon the alliteration.

You have a good point about not chasing the money, though. Before this thread I didn't want that to be the driving force, and I still don't. I just don't see how it can be done, on my part, without monetary support.

@ProfTournesol Great input! Respectfully, there is no such thing as free knowledge, but this is probably more of a philosophical statement.

Hey guys, in light of the awesome discussion here, I want to try something. I am making live asset test streams free to watch, but by invite only. These streams are not tutorials, but are instead a way to give a working progress report of models that I am developing. Live chat and interaction is encouraged, and I will be attempting to answer questions. If you want to participate, then PM me before 3:00 PM US Pacific Time, tomorrow, Sunday, May 20. Afterwards, be looking for a response with the link to the stream. Any PMs received after that may not be seen, as I will be prepping for the demo.

While you are possibly already turning away from the tutorial making Id like to share few thoughts to the conversation I felt problematic when money gets involved as I did not previously understand it either and did not consider the idea very deeply.

I see another potential problem in Patreoning and paywall regarding to what I said before and I would consider the following as it would be a commercial product/service that you would be offering.

-Who would validate your procedures you put into your tutorials?  (going back to my example of lot of time spent in Arma Discord debugging issues caused by bad tutorials)

-If you make mistakes would you fix them? 

-Would there be compensation for patreons if such were to happen

-Would you compensate those pointing out these mistakes

My point being money makes everything a lot more complicated and selling something brings responsibilities.

Like accepting donations would possibly be far simpler although definitely more unsure source of compensation, but then again it might turn in some profit too without the immediate responsibilities of  selling a product.

Its also 5AM and I got to head to bed. In any case, whatever you decide to do, good luck! Arma could definitely use more good tutorials.

• Like 1