Sign in to follow this  
silentghoust

[Request] Counter-arty script

Greetings,

I been on a quest for a hopefully simple script where the enemy AI will use its knowledge of a arty position to launch it's own.  I know that the AI within a squad will magically locate any enemy arty fired at them in close proximity. I would like to exploit that behavior by simply having a script that will have any AI within a squad that is manning arty to automatically shell that position. 

An example would be an officer has several batteries in his squad, and when an enemy arty is spotted, the script fires off and orders the battery to fire on the target. Would it be a bit cheesy? Sure, but at least it would make players deploy arty a bit more liberally then simply spamming it tell victory. 

Hi Silentghoust, 

I wrote my own ai mortar script that uses an ai spotter to visually identify targets and call shots for an associated mortar battery. I think it could be modified with a little work to be used for counter artillery. I've been looking for a new scripting project lately and this sounds like it would be interesting and I've been meaning to make something like this for a while now.

If you're interested in collaborating with me on this, send me a PM.

Did you ever manage to create a script to do this? I have been looking for one.

Vcom AI 3.0 might be helpful.

This wouldn't be too hard to achieve. Just add a "Fired" event handler to any weapon you want to be hit with counter-battery fire, and have that EH force the artillery to fire on/near it's position. I'd write it up now because I like the idea, but honestly I'm just polishing off a project of my own then I promised myself I'd get started on a new DCS DLC I got 2 weeks ago but haven't even looked at yet..........

The more fancy you want to get with it (e.g. targeting an area around the middle of a group of artillery, or splitting up the counter-battery to fire on different targets) the more work it'll be to script it though, obviously.

• Like 1