macanich

Way to treat newcomers! Gj! (sarcasm)

So. I have Arma 3 for quite some time now, but never felt it's the right time to start it. Especially while using RX460 gpu..
Although, decided to give it another shot today.

Joined one of the official servers. Group was quite toxic and non-helpful, but who cares.. I'm new, gotta deal with it. 
Was just waiting for mission to start so I can get experience going.. 

Was waiting there for approximately 1 hour, surrounded by toxic behaviour, teamkills and most idiotic conversations ever. 
It's cool, I'm new, if this is the way how guys relax around here, who cares - let them be. 

Finally mission was starting and I wasn't invited in squad. Lost 1 hour of life just to get kicked when it was about to get going. 
Thanks, Johnny, my squad leader or whatever you were. Good job! 

Great game, great community. Congrats ;)

Welcome to Bis forums!

Sorry to hear about what you had dealt with, i dont play on public servers myself, have my own server i rent for fun and with friends,

but i think you just joined a server that just happen to have some people on it that are who they are.

You cant blame a whole community which is global on an hours worth of how some people may have treated you, or behaved

considering it was an official server as you said that you could have been kicked for many reasons. 

I'm not trying to defend anyone here and feel bad that a newcomer had to deal with stupid behavior, but there are other servers, people, groups, units,

clans out there, all im saying is dont let one bad experience define how you proceed.

If you need help with anything with the game, we have alot of dedicated members quite a number of them i call family at this point because i see them so often here

that you can count on them to help out where needed. Again sorry to hear about a new guy with your experience.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was just a bit off with that post. Made an account here just to take off some steam after that game. I didn't do anything that would deserve me a kick, probably the reason of all saltiness was waiting so long for a game that never happened. I've been a part of few old gaming communities and would never treat a newbie like that.

Appreciate your comment man, at this very moment playing Arma 3 with guys that accepted me as a newcomer and it's cool. 
Ingame fps is the only thing that gives me hard time atm :D 

Take care.

• Like 2

For what it's worth as far as my opinion goes,....

Firstly,

I suggest that new players start with Sp scenarios,..or open the Editor and place 2 or 3 enemy and chase them around a factory.

pros = relaxed learning environment

= observe how AI act and re-act

= there are hundreds of short simple missions (they're referred to as scenarios in the game) for getting a sense of satisfaction.

= you can experiment with mods without having to suddenly fill up your HD with server required mods

cons = no one to ask to get answers for the simplest of questions. i.e: what key do I use to go to the bathroom?

= Unless you hate playing games alone, you may get bored easily.

Secondly

Try to find someone who enjoys playing coop missions. Once again, there are dozens of awesome missions to play. I think this is the best way to learn. I'll follow this thread so if you want to know about SP or COOP missions, just ask.

Your experience is similar to what you'd expect jumping into any public game server, not just Arma3.

• Like 1

We all make generalisations from time to time. As Gunter said, the irritating little toads you encountered are representative of themselves, not a whole community.

I've never played random games online with people i don't know. That doesn't always mean joining a clan, or knowing people on a personal level though. Many of them I'd have interacted with here on various levels. I think it's the anonymity that breeds that kind of idiotic behaviour.

It may seem like that's a hassle, just to have a quick game. But in the long run, it's worth it to avoid the monkeys and have an enjoyable experience once in a while.

• Like 2

On 13.5.2018 at 4:20 PM, macanich said:

Was waiting there for approximately 1 hour, 

[...]
Finally mission was starting and I wasn't invited in squad. Lost 1 hour of life just to get kicked when it was about to get going. 

Just so we are on the same page here: As far as I know there is nothing like being "invited" in the lobby (may be the case for some modded scenarios but not official ones). Also in most cases you don't have to wait to join something except for some Coop missions without respawn. In all other scenarios you can just click a slot and join the session (or spawn in spectator). Also, does on official servers someone can kick people or is only #vote kick possible?

So I suspectthat either of these were the case:

1. You waited in the lobby while you could have just joined the running session.
  2. You joined but it was some mission without respawn.
  3. You joined a server where all slots were already occupied. You were kicked because the mission at restart was full (and maybe albeit you joined an official server, you encountered a closed group playing there).
  4. Maybe you were kicked because you were idling in the lobby (see point 1 and 3).
  5. They really were some childish people not wanting you to play with them. They are not representative for this community.

I don't want to defend the people on that particular server, just wanted to say there are other possible reasons you had to wait/got kicked than just stupid and toxic people. We can't be sure without knowning which gamemode/mission you tried to join. The missions/maps in arma work a bit different than in regular first person shooter games.

I remember playing Arma 3 for for the first time, I was surprised to say at least with the group. Time to time I couldn't understand jokes and like inner stuff and the general point of making this whole show over newbies. Couldn't deal with it for the first attempts to play, totally spoiled game experience.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:44 AM, jodiegraham said:

I remember playing Arma 3 for for the first time, I was surprised to say at least with the group. Time to time I couldn't understand jokes and like inner stuff and the general point of making this whole show over newbies. Couldn't deal with it for the first attempts to play, totally spoiled game experience.

When I am on a server I mute the whole bunch many times talking about nothing to do with the mission and other crap..so you are MUTED Kiddies..

On 5/13/2018 at 10:20 AM, macanich said:

---  ---

First and foremost welcome to the Arma community! As Gunter stated you did join a public lobby, this means that generally anyone who owns this game that is in within acceptable connection standards can join. You can always ask questions here and always find help at the same time, your reply times to certain questions can range from 1 minute to ~1 day or so depending on what your question entales. Asking questions in a public server in Arma or practically any public lobby in any game is bound to get you unfortunate results and toxicity because unfortunately that's how some people are. I ask multiple questions probably every day in this community on these forums and everyone here has been exceptionally helpful and don't act like children. If you still do have any questions I believe there's a newcomer thread around here somewhere that's pinned. Any other questions that are relatively complicated, try a quick google search and see if there's a forum post surrounding that particular topic because chances are, there's someone that's already asked the exact or similar question you have. Anyhow enjoy the forums, and try to veer away from the public lobbies until you can comfortably accept the way some grown people are and how they act. Wish you luck and hope to see you around on the forums :-) Enjoy!