POLPOX

Asian characters on FontToTga

Heya, I just want to create a font with Asian characters (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) in a free font by Google, NotoSans, with the tool, FontToTga.

I tried few times with GUI version but it created only some Latin characters. Any way to create them with Asian characters?

the notosans font is brilliant combining Japanese, Korean and Chinese glyphs all in one package. It already exists in arma3 as NotoSansCJK-Light, and contains 23 'codepages'.

clearly bis made that using the tool you mention, so it must be possible.

I have not made such a font so have no practical experience, but I'd suggest you first try your hand at a less ambitious character set to check if you understood the options and syntax.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikero said:

the notosans font is brilliant combining Japanese, Korean and Chinese glyphs all in one package. It already exists in arma3 as NotoSansCJK-Light, and contains 23 'codepages'.

clearly bis made that using the tool you mention, so it must be possible.

I have not made such a font so have no practical experience, but I'd suggest you first try your hand at a less ambitious character set to check if you understood the options and syntax.

Okay, nevermind, I guess I found the answer. Modify FontToTga.cfg to do the job. Thank you anyways.

I did not mention about but, I want to Medium, Bold variants of the font.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T128076

This is serious.

I congratulate you on a genuine achievement. I implicitly understood you wanted a different font appearance of some kind. My suggestion was simply to start with a small step.

BI's 'proper' use of Unicode, specifically utf8 in the engine has been a win<>win for everyone. Fyi: the tga (and ultimately paa) produced is a bitmapped, proportional font, rather than 'typographic/scaleable' represented by trueType or equivalents. This is much more efficient for a game engine at the penalty of having to 'make' various point sizes of the same characters.

Again, congratulations.