jacknorrisuk

pboProject Binarise crash every time with CUP objects

Hi guys,

I've been having this problem at least since January but wanted to eliminate all possible remedies before wasting anyone's time on the forums - safe to say I am now at a complete loss as to why this is happening and need your help!

In short - I cannot build my terrain into a PBO if there are CUP objects placed on it. Here's what happens:

- Prep terrain, WRP, shapes, layers etc. in the usual way, by the book.

- Run pboProject (now on v2.37)

- pboProject scan and copy/crunch proceeds as normal, but then crashes without fail about 30 seconds after <Bis Binarise...> with an 'Arma 3 has crashed' dialogue box, followed by a 'Packing failed' dialogue box

- Output/binlog reveals nothing, except that Binarise crashed

Here's everything I've tried/eliminated:

- Full re-extraction of all A3 and latest CUP PBOs fresh from Steam workshop to my P drive

- Checked extracted PBOs appear to be in correct directories

- The same thing happens if I use Addon Builder instead of pboProject. It says 'Build failed. Result code=-1073741819'

- Everything DOES work fine if I use ONLY vanilla+Tanoa objects on my terrain (ie. no CUP.), so that does at least narrow down the cause. Although I haven't tried eliminating certain objects within CUP as I wouldn't know where to start with that.

- UPDATE - Also works fine if I just remove 'ca' objects, but keep 'cup' and other folder objects on the terrain 

Are there some CUP objects which are known to cause problems since the January update? Any way I can at least identify any particular objects that are causing this problem? Would appreciate any ideas...

Thanks!

Edited by jacknorrisuk

How did you extract cup?

1 minute ago, RoF said:

How did you extract cup?

ExtractPbo (2.16)

yeah, but did you extract each pbo one by one. Or do it the correct way

extractpbo "path\to\cup" P:\

Have you cleared your temp folder? Have you been running arma3p after every arma patch?

1 minute ago, RoF said:

yeah, but did you extract each pbo one by one. Or do it the correct way

extractpbo "path\to\cup" P:\

Have you cleared your temp folder? Have you been running arma3p after every arma patch?

I did extract them one by one, as I couldn't get the command to work. Will this affect the file structure?

Yes, have been clearing temp folder and running arma3p.

It can do, depending how you do it.

Why couldn't you get the command working? Just do it as I wrote it

33 minutes ago, RoF said:

It can do, depending how you do it.

Why couldn't you get the command working? Just do it as I wrote it

The command runs, but it doesn't produce any files. I will try it again now.

3 minutes ago, jacknorrisuk said:

The command runs, but it doesn't produce any files. I will try it again now.

Looks like it may have been a Windows permission issue, extracting now.

I'm also extracting fresh files downloaded direct from the CUP website rather than Steam workshop, as I have read that some people have had problems with corrupt Steam files.

Okay, CUP seems to have extracted fine, but now Arma3P is refusing to work? sigh...

"The system cannot find the file specified. failed to create P:\a3.lst. the game is not actually installed"

Any ideas?

1. join the arma discord and terrain makers channel

2. make sure to launch the bat with admin permissions

3 hours ago, .kju said:

1. join the arma discord and terrain makers channel

2. make sure to launch the bat with admin permissions

Will get on the Discord as soon as I can, thanks. 

I have UAC disabled, so everything should have full permissions access 

Maybe you have to recreate your template libraries in TB. They are propably pointing to the old (wrong) locations of the cup objects.
By that time, perhaps try those: https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:terrain-builder-templatelibs

As they are pretty well sorted and include A3 and CUP objects.

And yes, Discord #terrain_makers will get you help faster then here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cosmo_D41 said:

Maybe you have to recreate your template libraries in TB. They are propably pointing to the old (wrong) locations of the cup objects.
By that time, perhaps try those: https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:terrain-builder-templatelibs

As they are pretty well sorted and include A3 and CUP objects.

And yes, Discord #terrain_makers will get you help faster then here.

Thanks man, I didn't know there was a good ready-to-go template library for TB. I have rebuilt it myself a few times in my troubleshooting, but it's always a pain in the ass so good to know.

Will be trying my latest to-do list when I'm back on my PC tomorrow, so will update then...

Like everyone else said, get on Discord and you get help alot quicker, instead of waiting around for hours for a reply on here

UPDATE: I have found the culprit. It was indeed a CUP object that was causing all of my misery; who knows why!

The object is bridge_stone_asf2_25 - Off the top of my head I can't remember what object that might be, but apparently I had placed a couple of them in X-cam. Getting rid of this one object from my TB project allowed me to rebuild as normal.

3 hours ago, jacknorrisuk said:

The object is bridge_stone_asf2_25 - Off the top of my head I can't remember what object that might be, but apparently I had placed a couple of them in X-cam. Getting rid of this one object from my TB project allowed me to rebuild as normal.

AFAIK that model is already broken in the A2 MLOD pack by BI. I thought it was fixed in the last TP update thou. Which CUP version do you use as base? If it is the newest, can you open a ticket in our tracker?