Kreigar

Underwater Combat - shooting underwater?

I'm thinking about picking up Arma 3 (I know, I've waited a long time), but I have some questions about underwater combat, particularly shooting underwater.

For starters, it's impossible to shoot normal bullets underwater.  They don't go more than 2 meters.  The bigger the gun, the shorter the distance because the bullets get ripped apart by the force.  The only way to shoot underwater is with special flechette-like rounds, and even those don't go very far.

Does Arma 3 respect this reality, or did the devs just say "screw it" and create a completely unrealistic gameplay element that has no basis in reality?  All the gameplay videos I see just show people shooting rifles underwater just like they were above water.  I'm just not a fan of engines that defy physics.

18 minutes ago, Kreigar said:

I'm thinking about picking up Arma 3 (I know, I've waited a long time), but I have some questions about underwater combat, particularly shooting underwater.

For starters, it's impossible to shoot normal bullets underwater.  They don't go more than 2 meters.  The bigger the gun, the shorter the distance because the bullets get ripped apart by the force.  The only way to shoot underwater is with special flechette-like rounds, and even those don't go very far.

Does Arma 3 respect this reality, or did the devs just say "screw it" and create a completely unrealistic gameplay element that has no basis in reality?  All the gameplay videos I see just show people shooting rifles underwater just like they were above water.  I'm just not a fan of engines that defy physics.

Currently (and most likely for the rest of A3s lifetime) there's only one rifle that can efficiently shoot underwater, it's a dual purpose rifle with magazines for submerged usage and above water usage.

Don't buy it solely for the underwater stuff though. A3 has way more to offer.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, Kreigar said:

Considering this game is quite a few years old, you can't expect it to be perfect... It was released in 2013, and actually created most likely a few years before that... Technology and capabilities back then don't match up to what we have today... Aside from the underwater aspect, this game is as realistic as it gets in reference to war games and offers a lot more than any other game does... As far as underwater battling I doubt you'll find anything anywhere near Arma 3 while also providing your underwater-battle type needs... Anyhow I hope you do invest into the game as it's very fun! I myself have invested over 1k hours into it and have only had it for about 4 months lol... That should give you an idea of how enjoyable it is overall... Hope this aids you in some type of way! :) 

1 hour ago, Kreigar said:

For starters, it's impossible to shoot normal bullets underwater.

As mentioned above, there is only one weapon in Arma 3 that can be used underwater - the SDAR (Special Dual-medium Assault Rifle). It is loosely based on the Keltec RFB (which does NOT shoot underwater.) The conceit is "supercavitating ammunition."

You'll find that underwater combat in A3 is largely unused.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kreigar said:

As Harzach said it's through the use of supercavitating rounds. If you are interested there is an article on them here http://www.defensereview.com/revolutionary-dsg-supercavitating-rifle-ammo-for-shooting-underwater-into-the-water-or-out-of-the-water-multi-environment-ammunition-mea-makes-its-debut-photos-and-video/

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 6:04 PM, Kreigar said:

Does Arma 3 respect this reality, or did the devs just say "screw it" 

***Yes, Arma 3 does respect this reality***

There is only one weapon that can fire underwater, and it can only fire under water with "DP" (Dual Purpose ?) mags loaded. Those mags work above and below water. I'm not sure how they fare compared to normal bullets above the water, but its a 20 round magazine as opposed to the 30 round magazines which you can't use underwater.

The range is very low under water too.

One thing I haven't tested is how far under the water the normal rounds remain lethal when fired into the water from above water.

Also, the SDAR cannot accept any scopes (I guess the scope would be crushed by the pressure or filled with water and have its optic qualities messed up?), so its generally a terrible weapon for above water combat

-not to mention that it is a 5.56 x 45mm weapon, and 5.56mm weapons are pretty bad in arma 3 against opponents wearing body armor, so 6.5mm and 7.62mm weapons are often preferred to 5.56

Underwater combat is still rather limited, as there is just 1 type of underwater vehicle (the SDV), with no weapons. So there's no vehicle vs vehicle combat under water (without mods), and there's no vehicle vs men combat underwater either.

Its simply a way to sneak around without being seen. You really need a contrived situation to actually get into a shooting match underwater.

I'm also rather disappointed in the fuel consumption & capacity of the SDVs... you can't really go so far with them- although IIRC, you can sling load them with the heavy lift helicopters to drop them just outside bay inlets and such

7 hours ago, Ex3B said:

One thing I haven't tested is how far under the water the normal rounds remain lethal when fired into the water from above water.

Rifle/Pistol projectiles get deleted on the water surface as far as I know, with the SDAR being the exception.

Cheers

Really, I had expected it to use something like the penetration mechanic, and to treat the water like a concrete wall... if you're swimming just 10 cm below the surface, you'd be immune to an HMG or APFSDS rounds (either tank main gun rounds, or APC autocannons)?

I guess indirect hit damage would be the only threat then (ie GMGs, GPR/MP/HE rounds) ?

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Kreigar said:

I'm thinking about picking up Arma 3 (I know, I've waited a long time), but I have some questions about underwater combat, particularly shooting underwater...

Does Arma 3 respect this reality...

I ran several pages of underwater tests with guns, mines etc here which might interest you-

Example screenshot-

AA3-frog5_zps20d0303f.jpg~original

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/165403-weapon-tests/?page=5

• Like 2