Which are the optimal video settings for my rig?

Hi all,

I would like to know which are the best video settings for me!

I have tried many guides, but none of them have helped me to improve the FPS and smoothness of the game!

My laptop's specs are:

i7-6700 HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz up to 3.50 GHz

16 GB DDR4 RAM

Nvidia GTX 960 M 4 GB GDDR5 GPU

the game installed on a SSD

Please tell me for each video setting,setting by setting!

I get 60 FPS when I am alone on a map (while creating a mission via the EdenEditor),but if I add AI,and there is a battle the FPS decrease to 35 FPS!

And also please tell me how to make the AI spawn only when I am in a close range!

Thanks to all in advance!

Best regards!

I can't tell you how to configure your rig but I'll tell you this:
(FYI: I'm running arma from a laptop, average FPS: between 20 & 25)

• I've tried editing all the launch params in many different ways, leaving them to default works best for me.  
  • Playing with all graphic settings on normal increased my FPS (compared to when I was running everything on low)
  • I limit my FPS at 25.  I got 30-35 when I didn't do this but I also got drops down to 5 FPS, now that I've capped my frames that doesn't happen quite as often anymore.
  • View distance is the biggest contributor in lower FPS for me.  On foot I'll have it set at 2k, if I put it at 4k I'll get 5-10 fps less.

On 16-4-2018 at 10:09 PM, orllak32 said:

And also please tell me how to make the AI spawn only when I am in a close range!

You start by learning SQF, then depending on what mission you're playing (and some legal stuff like licenses) you can't do anything or you edit the source code of that mission.

If you're interested in which specs my laptop has:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5 5200U @ 2.20GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940M (4GB dedicated VRAM)
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

Monitor: 15-inch generic laptop monitor with 1366px X 768px @60Hz

Harddrive: 1TB HDD

Also don't complain about 35 FPS, some people dream about having that much FPS.

1 hour ago, stanhope said:

I can't tell you how to configure your rig but I'll tell you this:
(FYI: I'm running arma from a laptop, average FPS: between 20 & 25)

• I've tried editing all the launch params in many different ways, leaving them to default works best for me.  
  • Playing with all graphic settings on normal increased my FPS (compared to when I was running everything on low)
  • I limit my FPS at 25.  I got 30-35 when I didn't do this but I also got drops down to 5 FPS, now that I've capped my frames that doesn't happen quite as often anymore.
  • View distance is the biggest contributor in lower FPS for me.  On foot I'll have it set at 2k, if I put it at 4k I'll get 5-10 fps less.

You start by learning SQF, then depending on what mission you're playing (and some legal stuff like licenses) you can't do anything or you edit the source code of that mission.

If you're interested in which specs my laptop has:

Hide contents

CPU: Intel Core i5 5200U @ 2.20GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 940M (4GB dedicated VRAM)
RAM: 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

Monitor: 15-inch generic laptop monitor with 1366px X 768px @60Hz

Harddrive: 1TB HDD

Also don't complain about 35 FPS, some people dream about having that much FPS.

Dear stanhope,thank you for replying!

Cheers!

OP.... running vanilla or modded?

There many answers to your question. How many AI? Any vehicles?

Basically everyone is limited to a certain amount of AI depending on harware.The cpu will handle AI and once in combat,demand sky rockets..

I would advise if you have alot of AI,try to spread the combat out a little. 10 groups of 8 vs 10 groups of 8 for example will run alot smoother if they are not all engaging together.

Clean up script: find one and have it to loop every minute to clean up dead bodies/vehicles.

In a town? this will further decrease FPS as AI are pathing from cover to cover.

If your in the middle of the action the sound sources will affect framerate too(not fact,my own testing)

instead of smaller group sizes and more groups,try larger group sizes and less groups.

Keep in mind modded units like RHS or modded weapons will drop your FPS with textures alone,so if using certain modded assets,perhaps lower textures.

smoke particles from many nades will dropFPS(Your gpu seems good tho)

im on a I74790 with a gtx 650ti boost and my combines arms mission stays above 50FPS WITH combat as i playtested and implemented above tips.My scenario has 200 infantry and 10 armour pieces,2 jets and 2 Attack choppers plus mortars.

If you want more indepth help,give me more details.

for AI spawning within your range,use the dynamic simulation on a group from its icon,turn it on for groups you want affected.The under envoirment setting,set at what distance from Player OR enemy units that those groups should simulate/spawn. Very useful and easy.