Violt

Modpack on Steam Workshop

Hey guys, 

I have a Mil-Sim group. 

But i want to use the steamworkshop to publish my modpack on that has mods like RHS and all. 

But are you allowed to do that? 

As in is that considered "Stealing another person's addons"

Hi, Good questions,

you can create mod packs, and could just set the visibility to friends only, however there are drawbacks to this.

If a mod that is on armaholic is not on steam workshop, i suggest not uploading it, read the licenses if there is one, always follow, and obey the requests

of mod authors, if they dont want their work on steam workshop then best you follow suite.

Another option is to create collections, where you have all the mods you want to use for your group/unit in one place, you can create as many as collections as you want, or need.

Thing with modpacks is if one of those mods gets updated then you will have to then reupload that mod that was updated.

With collections all the mods you are using will get updated on their own when they are updated, so nothing for you to do, you can link your collections on your website, or wherever you get together,

and if there happens to be a mod you dont like or dont use in the collections you can easily remove it, vs a mod pack which you'll have to remove the said file from the pack and reupload.

Ideally a collection imo is best, nothing for you to worry about in terms of license, permissions, and you can put a logo and custom name on the collections as well.

53 minutes ago, Violt said:

As in is that considered "Stealing another person's addons"

The only time you would be "stealing" another person's addon is if:

1. you reuploaded it to the general public and said it was yours.
  2. or uploaded it, posted it and put in the description that you give credits to the author, at the same time stating that you are making it available.
  3. The other side to this would be taking someone's work altering it in some way, uploading it and saying you give credits but made said changes.

These 3 will get your upload reported and removed, and well it wont sit good with the rest of the community,

you might also get a mark on your steam account which idk if there is such a thing.

The thing is to be on the safe side, which is the following:

1. Find out if what mods you have are already on steamwork shop, if their not and its on armaholic, best ask for permission from the author,

and see if the author has a thread for the addon or mod, this way you can pm him and explain what your trying to do.

2. Review any license and or permissions that the author has stipulated if any, if there is no such license or anything said,

then imo you should contact the author.

==============

Now i know this seems a bit much for a mod pack, and its only for your group, none the less uploading a mod without permission

be it public or not when the mod isn't especially on the workshop imo is a no no, others may say it should be ok and as i stated set the visibility to friends only.

Imo overall a collections is your best bet, safest and easiest to maintain.

Lastly a thread like this is best posted in the General section, addon and mod discussions is about mods that are WIP.  Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Uploading content to the Steam Workshop that you do not have explicit rights to (I.E you are not the author/owner/IP rights holder) would be in violation of the Steam subscriber agreement which is presented every time you attempt to publish content on the workshop, if you don't read this prior to publishing content that is due to your own negligence.

Saying that it is okay to upload a pack of mods and set it private is simply a non-starter, would be in violation of the Steam subscriber agreement and is one of the reasons why the community created tools to scan the workshop to facilitate removing such infringing content.

As Gunter correctly said you should setup a collection of mods that already exist on the Workshop, rather than start uploading other peoples content. 

You can then just link your friends to your collection and they can one-click Workshop install all of the listed Workshop items within the collection.

If a mod does not exist on the Workshop and is available elsewhere contact the author and inquire about Workshop availability, if they come back and say no, then that means no.

Remember, just because something is available on the internet it does not automatically give you rights to do with that content what you please.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Violt said:

Thank you both! 

I already DMCA your RHS re-upload once, i hope you read the EULA this time around

On 4/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

you can create mod packs, and could just set the visibility to friends only, however there are drawbacks to this.

nope...that is a still against Steam Subscriber Agreement as long as you do not have IP rights for whatever you have uploaded.

• Like 3

Ya i know, i stated it that way to show a wrong scenario that someone might think would be ok, as that is where the OP was headed,

thats why i suggested creating collections as the best alternative.

a collection is a modpack that doesnt infringe on the rights of the ip holder and it also doesnt force people to download the same mod twice