10 hours ago, shadeops21 said:

Legit curious here as I haven't seen pictures of it done. Velcro and double-sided tape I can understand, but regular single side adhesive not actively attaching/holding something to the shell?

Sometimes you just need some tape. There are a lot of newer pics but this is an album I made like a year ago of opscores with 100mph tape.

https://imgur.com/a/8iWw5MZ

My team will use your mod soon it's realease, it's look SSSSOOOOOOOOO GGGOOODDDD!🤤

Your team do a great work!

Thanks for your work I cannot wait!

Sorry for my english, i'am french.

Best regards.

DeLaCour.

SL of Spartan Légion.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LJH_1 said:

Sometimes you just need some tape.

🤷‍♂️ Fair enough. 

21 hours ago, warden_1 said:

We are indefinitely postponing the release of the mod (internally was sometime before summer) until there are sufficient means to protect our content.

Interesting, this decision came about after a few questions about retexturing.

Understand I'm a strong proponent of modder's rights and being allowed to take their time. Check my history and you'll see posts supporting just this.

Bearing in mind parts of this mod are donated (probably very small I'm sure, I wouldn't know having never seen any release of the mod) and based on the timing, I find the decision ironic.

Showing the characteristic enjoyed by many an Arma player, I'm eternally optimistic to see your hard work. The pictures have been very nice 😃

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rich_R said:

Interesting, this decision came about after a few questions about retexturing.

Understand I'm a strong proponent of modder's rights and being allowed to take their time. Check my history and you'll see posts supporting just this.

Bearing in mind parts of this mod are donated (probably very small I'm sure, I wouldn't know having never seen any release of the mod) and based on the timing, I find the decision ironic.

Showing the characteristic enjoyed by many an Arma player, I'm eternally optimistic to see your hard work. The pictures have been very nice 😃

This decision was not a very easy one to make and is not related to the previous retexturing conversation. We are eager to publish our content for everyone to use, However, due the lack of sufficient means to protect ours and other creators content and the rampant ripping/stealing that is currently happening throughout the community; we have decided to postpone until protection can be found/created. Believe us when we say, we didn't want it to be this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, unearthedtru7h said:

This decision was not a very easy one to make and is not related to the previous retexturing conversation. We are eager to publish our content for everyone to use, However, due the lack of sufficient means to protect ours and other creators content and the rampant ripping/stealing that is currently happening throughout the community; we have decided to postpone until protection can be found/created. Believe us when we say, we didn't want it to be this way.

What's the plan if that protection is never created for mod developers? Kind of just spent a lot of time and money creating models for a private mod if it never gets released? Not trying to be disrespectful to this decision but from my point of view, the demand for these ripped models and such comes from a lack of them being present in both vanilla and in mod form and since the procedure for creating quality mods is so long and tedious for arma 3 people resort to ripping stuff. I feel like if there are quality mods that have been created that add much of the gear and features that ripped mods have the demand for those ripped mods is going to go down and not releasing quality mods, in my opinion, just adds to the problem you guys are trying to fight against. 

• Like 6

if you guys are really gonna lose sleep over the thought that people might modify the content, decent means of obfuscation exist. really dedicated rippers can get through that if they REALLY want to, but it'll deter a vast majority of it. when it comes to community retextures and shit, there's a few options. you could separate models and textures into different PBOs, scramble the shit out of the models and leave the textures unobfuscated.  you could scramble everything and provide rudimentary templates or even just solid colored textures to "approved" texture people on a case-by-case basis. maybe you ask BI pretty please with sprinkles on top let us use EBOs. it can't be that difficult to figure out. or you can go the private mod route, never publicly releasing anything, and become in effect what you sought to destroy.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, unearthedtru7h said:

Believe us when we say, we didn't want it to be this way.

You're absolutely allowed to do want you want with your creations.

I guess I would throw out two words CUP and RHS. Both have given two huge mods to the community, pretty much early on.

Offered with EULAs and ordinary PBOs.

As I said, it’s your work and you’re allowed to protect it by not releasing it. This is a very understanding community.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wsxcgy said:

or you can go the private mod route, never publicly releasing anything, and become in effect what you sought to destroy.

Except for the one big difference which is that most if not all "private mods" are just stolen content...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

you got me there. you guys didn't steal this stuff.

• Haha 2

If ya can't beat em, join em I guess eh?

• Haha 5

Die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain, lol. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I think its important to remember that we're commenting, and complaining to an extent, because we all care about and support this mod. You guys have gotten an unprecedented amount of support from the community because this is a promising, transparent team committed to the community.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

decent means of obfuscation exist

Doesn't help against model/texture ripping.

really dedicated rippers can get through that if they REALLY want to

There are dedicated rippers making tutorials that even a 10yo would understand.

let us use EBOs

Doesn't help against model/texture ripping.

it can't be that difficult to figure out

It indeed. Is.

I know many solutions to make extracting data from PBO's hard. I can even invent some new ways if you want. But it's gonna help absolutely 0. I don't see any way of protecting the content, I can't think of anything BI could do that wouldn't be easy to circumvent.

• Like 6

Still i don't get this worry about stealing content, no matter how much you will protect it, there will be ALWAYS way to get these models, don't get me wrong but thats true, i've been dealing with this kinda nonsense for atleast 2 months when my friend told he would like to share copy of his work to test before release,  all you can do is add obfuscation, maybe if  BI let's you can use EBO's but thats likely not going to happen because they don't make exceptions if it comes to "rules of use", i couldn't find anything about it in license, still no matter what you will do there is a program to rip directly meshes from a game that you launch, i've tested it and no matter how unbreakable ebo you create, or ofuscate or obfuscate there is always a way.

• Like 4

Just to add my thoughts to the pile; as Dedmen said, there isn't really any effective means of protecting content from being ripped, if there was I'm sure BI would have been using it to protect their own content already. I mean why stop there? If it was possible to completely negate the possibility of ripping, don't you think all the large companies (e.g. EA) would have already been doing this to prevent their assets being ported to other games? 

At the end of the day, there is no real way to fully protect the content if you plan to release it, because if you can figure out how to scramble it, someone will definitely be able to figure out how to rip it. It's just the way it is. Kinda like in Call of Duty Black Ops when the devs said the game was unhackable.. We all know how that turned out. 

Ultimately, it's your choice and the community, being as mature as it is, will fully understand and respect the decision

• Like 9

This is why Arma can't have nice things. It's a shame to see all that hard work end up like this. So I've got to ask a painful question, when did it occur to the creators that preventing content theft was indeed hard, this is a lot of work to put in to finally come to this conclusion isn't it? The world is going to do what the world wants to do, this decision sounds like more of an issue of ego, the artist afraid to share it to the world or afraid his / her baby will be misused, understandable but sad to let walls hold you back. It's your alls mod, but to do this is like stopping frigging mid-climax, and nobody enjoys that! Er, well not most anyways. 

Very sad to see this creation get tangled up like this, the momentum was promising. 

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, Hythloday_ said:

This is why Arma can't have nice things. It's a shame to see all that hard work end up like this. So I've got to ask a painful question, when did it occur to the creators that preventing content theft was indeed hard, this is a lot of work to put in to finally come to this conclusion isn't it? The world is going to do what the world wants to do, this decision sounds like more of an issue of ego, the artist afraid to share it to the world or afraid his / her baby will be misused, understandable but sad to let walls hold you back. It's your alls mod, but to do this is like stopping frigging mid-climax, and nobody enjoys that! Er, well not most anyways. 

Very sad to see this creation get tangled up like this, the momentum was promising. 

As someone who originally was very pro open source content for Arma, it was a hard decision to stop providing that and harder yet to hold off of releases and remain in private testing until we figure some means of protection out. I took a break from modding arma for a few years a while back and to come back to that to see mainstream mods using stolen content from AAA titles going unchecked, major community authors not only encouraging and defending those actions but doing it themselves, "private mod" creators (who rip content from other games or steal it from major Arma mods) selling their private mods, people stealing models from Arma mods and uploading them for sale on modeling websites... etc.

So yeah that's what it took.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warden_1 said:

As someone who originally was very pro open source content for Arma, it was a hard decision to stop providing that and harder yet to hold off of releases and remain in private testing until we figure some means of protection out. I took a break from modding arma for a few years a while back and to come back to that to see mainstream mods using stolen content from AAA titles going unchecked, major community authors not only encouraging and defending those actions but doing it themselves, "private mod" creators (who rip content from other games or steal it from major Arma mods) selling their private mods, people stealing models from Arma mods and uploading them for sale on modeling websites... etc.

So yeah that's what it took.

Okay, i will try to lead you out of this nonsense. You can't acctualy protect models, if you would found solution, big companies like EA or Activision probably would like to buy it from you, but you can't, because the program that is THAT idiotproof is just 2 button, select DirectX which game use and press keys on keyboard to RIP meshes, then just load them to idk... blender or even object builder and you are done, from what i've seen ripper is losing almost everything, but meshes and textures stays the same, just mapping and selection is gone i think, so only solution is make game which is not DirectX, but you are making addon to pretty old game. All you can do is maybe improve protection of actual file, but then it will hurt guys who would like to add retextures, for me i have some swatches with mutlicam Suez, and some other my country camo patterns, so if i would like to do retextures i  need to reverse engineer? and for me it's pain in the ass, because instead of just opening pbo, grabing some textures, and making actual retexture, i need to go to forbbiden website, or watch some tutorial how to crack that "THING" and make retextures, because you said you will probably allow them, so let's say you allowed them, THEN! i have 2 solutions, if i want to config my hard earned textures i need again to rip your pbo to see selections, in config, i could probably do it in game but it's not so clever like in real config from addon. You see, there is no way to add protection from rippers, all you can do is hurt some idiots who would repack your mod and hurt some guys who would like to make some "Additions" to your great mod, but they will give up after 5 minutes of trying to get something to retexture. Maybe you could add obfuscation and script that detects servers names and ban all "live", but there is no actual way of protecting P3D, im pretty sure about it, because if there would be a way bohemia folks would probably implement it ASAP. So don't go this way, you can hire some people to watch over internet to check if your models won't fly somewhere and that's all

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, mihal190 said:

Okay

This will be the last thing in regards to this subject; we will find a way to protect our content. We will also ensure that the retextures made from our content are high quality and that the right people have all the necessary files to retexture them. As always we appreciate the input from everyone.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

This thread has been locked temporarily.

Unfortunately we cannot control what people do outside of these forums. However, on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission, and we receive a complaint, the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 16
  • Sad 3

Welcome back everyone! The mod has been released about 2 weeks ago so here are the download links for the mod can be found on SW and Reddit. Please post any bugs on the steam page subsection or here on the forums.

Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1795825073

Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnderSiegeProductions/

Thanks and enjoy!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

Welcome back and congrats on the thread

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congrats for the release boys! Me and a few friends have been waiting this mod for ages, glad we can finally play around with it. :rthumb:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1