Could I force the enemy to use mortar/helicopters?  To get some use of AA-units.

4 hours ago, john111 said:

Could I force the enemy to use mortar/helicopters?  To get some use of AA-units.

If you place mortar or helicopters under HAL control, they should be used automatically. Check the config variables about dispatching ratios if you want leaders to have a higher tendency of dispatching helicopters. It's called "RydxHQ_MARatio". With it you can choose what kind of engagement the Leaders will use.

How easy is it to use this for modded units? Say, Unsung mod or the IFA3 mod. Does it need a lot of config changes? Or will HETMAN identify the units automatically?

6 hours ago, Georilla said:

How easy is it to use this for modded units? Say, Unsung mod or the IFA3 mod. Does it need a lot of config changes? Or will HETMAN identify the units automatically?

Hetman does ID units automatically (pretty well too). However, for more complex roles it is ideal to configure it yourself (especially sci-fi mods). Configuring it comes down to adding classnames to arrays defined in the usage guide. It can be somewhat lengthy but can work alongside the auto mode so you only have to configure the more advanced units.

If this would be adding the mod troops we add to the map automatically it would help .If we have a "reinforcement" module that makes the planes and/helicopters spawn some distance put and make them land,refuel and get put inside of hangar it would help.

If there are some module that would strengthen the AAA defences over time ,that would look cool if it will set up defensive positions with sling loaded moved and placed positions.

4 minutes ago, john111 said:

If this would be adding the mod troops we add to the map automatically it would help .If we have a "reinforcement" module that makes the planes and/helicopters spawn some distance put and make them land,refuel and get put inside of hangar it would help.

If there are some module that would strengthen the AAA defences over time ,that would look cool if it will set up defensive positions with sling loaded moved and placed positions.

I do have a reinforcements script. It simply spawns them though instead of bringing them in via helicopters. As for AAA, you could try adding some mobile AA in the reinforcements pool to have them come back and be assigned to various positions by the AI commander. In the next version of that script there is also a condition that makes sure no players are too close to see it happen.

If this could get a wp that would send in reinforcements ,that make them fly over and land out of sight,then transfer the helicopter to a 2:nd pool of available helicopters,that could be "evacuating" or "rescuing" everybody within a set distance ,let`s say 200 m or so,they could be used as Dust off.

If there can be such a wp ,connected to a Rescue WP we can place on the map it can launch a rescue at a location with spec ops,it would be a new thing .

To have a pool of units that can search and lase a target,or rescue someone at a GPS point,would be very useful as new wp-types,if you like to make them.

Set up a landing strip for aircraft with a autoland feature and indistructable setting for that plane,may add some new things to ways we can do things .

If Commander could set up a forward base.

If Commander could place some alternate way to transport things ,like with a boat,then let us use some pool or spawn in what type of vehicle we want to use for the transport,of VA or whatever,it would add to the use of different modded assets.

It could have the supplies that we used placed on a cargo plane that has to fly in and offload and get put in a truck and moved by boat and offloaded and driven to player.

If it placed a defend wp it could defend a landing strip on it`s own.If this could have pre-sets we could use as a Layer,to add to old missions ,this will be very useful .  Just ideas.

Although these are interesting ideas for a game mode type of add-on, it's not really in my plans to add advanced behavior like that. Right now AI commander does use Evac helicopters for retreat and has a whole withdrawal behaviour already integrated. Special forces also already have these kinds of missions.

As for reinforcements that use helicopters to insert troops, I might eventually add that in the NR6 Pack but I didn't so far because I use this script in a Milsim unit where not all factions we are against have helicopters to use (like ISIS for instance) so reinforcements would never come by air. Plus there's also the fact that inserting heavy tanks will rarely be possible since only a few helicopters can do that. There's also the fact that if I wanted to use planes for that, non-vtol airplanes must land on runways and although I've tried for very long to add useable runways that are not part of the map, they only work partially (AI will land but won't takeoff from them).

In the next update however, as a player you can now request air support, infantry support, armored support and helicopter Transport support (also valid for Evac). I hope these features kind of fill that function but like I said before if I start making more advanced stuff it won't be under Hal since this is strictly an AI commander. It would be under another add-on.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, john111 said:

I did some of testing of the transport system and I found the following commands useful in encouraging  the AI to use transport helicopters:

RydHQ_NoRec = 10000;

RydHQ_RapidCapt = 10000;

This will skip the reconnaissance phase and attempt to capture the objectives as fast as possible. Providing there is some distance between your troops and the objectives the choppers should load up the troops, head straight to the objective and right into the sights of your AA troops.

However if your AA troops are spotted the enemy commander may ground his choppers. You may be able to override this with the personality settings.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, Mack. said:

I did some of testing of the transport system and I found the following commands useful in encouraging  the AI to use transport helicopters:

RydHQ_NoRec = 10000;

RydHQ_RapidCapt = 10000;

This will skip the reconnaissance phase and attempt to capture the objectives as fast as possible. Providing there is some distance between your troops and the objectives the choppers should load up the troops, head straight to the objective and right into the sights of your AA troops.

However if your AA troops are spotted the enemy commander may ground his choppers. You may be able to override this with the personality settings.

Good point! On a side note, in 1.22.8 the cargo system can be activated for recon missions as well. That means you should be able to make your troops use helicopters more often that way too.

• Like 1

Doing some more work for 1.22.8. Fixing some errors in the artillery system (some mods have weird ammo configs). Also polishing transport request system for players.

• Thanks 1

VERSION 1.22.8 FINALLY OUT!

Introduction of the new simple mode. Simply add objectives to an array, tell the system if they are supposed to be captured at start and you are done. No more fixed 4 objectives.

New support system in there too with months worth of work for HC compat, new supports, new capture systems, new defensive behaviors, etc.

Sorry for the delays, I hardly have any time left for working on Arma projects anymore so I'll do my best to release what I got and provide support as I can. Hal will continue to develop but at a slower rate.
NR6 PACK 2.00 should release very soon as a script as I just need to finish the documentation on how to use the newer versions of the scripts and the cache since many things have changed.

The mod version too is pretty near completion although I have stopped work on it for a while.

• Like 4

Awesome! I will update my mission with the new version!

BTW has their been any further work on the Headless Client compatibly since my testing?

6 hours ago, Mack. said:

Awesome! I will update my mission with the new version!

BTW has their been any further work on the Headless Client compatibly since my testing?

I might've but to be honest I did so much work since that part I don't remember. I think I left it at the point where the system would work if the transport and troops were on the same HC (which I think is what the last testing you made concluded).

• Thanks 1

Thank you for continuing this awsome mod.

After the update, i cant get the actions in the ace menu to work. Also how do i setup the supports for the player?

Sixt.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:43 PM, sixt said:

Thank you for continuing this awsome mod.

After the update, i cant get the actions in the ace menu to work. Also how do i setup the supports for the player?

Sixt.

I don't seem to have that problem I'll see what could be the cause. So far what I could suggest is to make sure you are included in the leader's control and that task actions and support actions are turned on using the new config variables I mentioned in the main post. Other than that do normal actions appear still?

As for supports, turning support actions on should enable them the same way task actions would work.

11 hours ago, NinjaRider600 said:

I don't seem to have that problem I'll see what could be the cause. So far what I could suggest is to make sure you are included in the leader's control and that task actions and support actions are turned on using the new config variables I mentioned in the main post. Other than that do normal actions appear still?

As for supports, turning support actions on should enable them the same way task actions would work.

I got it working, i was using an old hal description.ext file, i think that was the reason.

Version 1.22.8.1 coming up with defensive mode overhaul. Attacks on known enemy while leader is in defensive mode will now be done by alternating between attack mode and defensive mode but without overriding the other mode's orders. This alternating behavior is also affected by leader personality, battlefield situation and morale meaning that an army in retreat will not counterattack. This replaces the old and only attack order that was issued in defensive mode by reserve orders which only occasionally went for counterattacks. It now works by using the fully fledged attack mode to properly engage known hostile forces. This change also makes these counterattacks respect fronts and let's them happen at the same time as other patrols and defensive orders take place (since the change from one mode to the other does not override the previous orders). Reserve defense orders and air defense orders however can be now overridden by attack orders for better and faster response.

• Like 3

Loving the changes, Ninja.

How would I go about making some of the objectives listed in the simple mode array already "captured"?

EDIT:

Also to add, I am running into some issues with my other plans as well. I will layout my desired goal and see if that helps with an answer. It's been some years since I have used Hetman's. Plus you've added some new features.

I have 2 main bases for each leader that houses the leader as well as 10-15 groups each. Those sorta act as reinforcements for each side. Now each side also has 2 objectives ahead (in distance) of their respective main base, which (at mission start) contain around 3 groups each. There is also one big objective in between Leader A's last objective and Leader B's last objective that neither side has units in. This will be sorta the main battleground.

I've tried setting "RydHQ_MaxSimpleObjs = 1;" for both sides, but they are both still attempting to take multiple objectives. They are also both sending their entire reinforcement pool (15 something groups) from the main base to the next objective to capture. Leaving only 1 group to garrison. I need both of those main base objectives to harbor those reinforcement groups as well as keep the leader there (I have leader relocation turned off as well).

7 hours ago, acoustic said:

Loving the changes, Ninja.

How would I go about making some of the objectives listed in the simple mode array already "captured"?

EDIT:

Also to add, I am running into some issues with my other plans as well. I will layout my desired goal and see if that helps with an answer. It's been some years since I have used Hetman's. Plus you've added some new features.

I have 2 main bases for each leader that houses the leader as well as 10-15 groups each. Those sorta act as reinforcements for each side. Now each side also has 2 objectives ahead (in distance) of their respective main base, which (at mission start) contain around 3 groups each. There is also one big objective in between Leader A's last objective and Leader B's last objective that neither side has units in. This will be sorta the main battleground.

I've tried setting "RydHQ_MaxSimpleObjs = 1;" for both sides, but they are both still attempting to take multiple objectives. They are also both sending their entire reinforcement pool (15 something groups) from the main base to the next objective to capture. Leaving only 1 group to garrison. I need both of those main base objectives to harbor those reinforcement groups as well as keep the leader there (I have leader relocation turned off as well).

For making an objective already taken, use "this setvariable ["SetTakenA",true]" in the init of the objective where "this" is the object you are using as objective and the letter A is the letter corresponding to the Leader you have picked.

I'll investigate/test if the simple objectives max works properly for v1.22.8.1 but concerning trying to make more groups stay at base, I would recommend setting the groups you want to have staying as "garrisoned" by placing them in the proper garrison array of your leader (check the original HAL document for the proper wording, I don't remember it atm). This will make them defend the base and respond to nearby attack orders only (500m around). If you want to change the proportion of troops the leader sends to complete orders, I'd recommend also playing around with the attack reserve variable. 

Only issue I am running into now is that the commanders aren't using distance at all to calculate their next objective. They're sometimes skipping over objectives that are 1km away for objectives that are 7km away.

4 hours ago, acoustic said:

Only issue I am running into now is that the commanders aren't using distance at all to calculate their next objective. They're sometimes skipping over objectives that are 1km away for objectives that are 7km away.

I've noticed that as well. Although the system sorts objectives to capture according to the closest ones, the commander can sometimes find that a closer objective is too risky to capture making him skip it temporarily. I'll see if I can improve that for 1.22.8.1.

I am getting the same result even with the new objective system disabled. Leader skips objective 2&3 and goes straight for 4. 2&3 had no enemies in my testing, so I am not sure about the perceived danger aspect. But I do have recon disabled, so that probably affects that.