Sign in to follow this  
Mynock

Suggestions to avoid needing to re-update game every day? (Win7 problem, stuck in "loop")

I'll try to make this brief and coherent.

Arma updated to 1.82 yesterday for the tanks DLC, and coincidentally Windows 7 had an update. The issue is there's something about the Windows update that wrecks my computer, rendering it basically useless, but because it's a "critical security update" I can't opt-out of the update, even turning off Windows auto-updates and all that. It pre-downloads and installs the update each time I start my computer, and all it allows me to postpone is the auto-restart, but only up to 4 hours, meaning even if I put the computer in sleep mode, when I go to bed it restarts on its own and loads this update that turns my computer into a useless pile of components.

Now how does this relate to Arma? Well the only way to get my computer to work again is to boot into safe mode and do a system restore every time I want to use it... Because Arma's update was the same day, it means I have to re-update to 1.80 every single day because I'm restoring back to a point before I have the new Arma update, so it gets deleted every time.

So, any thoughts on how to bypass that when I'm forced to restore every day right now until Windows does a hot fix or their support team gets back to me (which let's be real, they will be of no use)? I know right now I can't avoid the windows roll-back every day, but I'd like to avoid having to re-update 6GB every day for Arma if there's a way to avoid it.

Edited by Mynock
oops 1.82 not 1.80 sorry, forgot we already had 1.80

Not an option for me. 7 has worked fine until now, and I'm sure once I figure out the issue it will continue to work fine.

I'm also not asking for Windows help FYI, I'm after suggestions to avoid having download 6gb of an update every time I want to play Arma until I can fix whatever is going on with Windows because of this weird quasi-loop situation I've been forced into. Perhaps that's not explicitly clear from my original post.

Install Arma on an external storage device then add that as a game directory to steam?

really? you cant turn off auto update...  . You would need to be an admin.

Ok, how far back is your restore point, and is this your comp? ok ok no windows help....{but you can download the "April quality roll up for win 7" and do your own install.   Just unhook from the internet before you go back to your restore point, then install the only major file you need;  click ---->   April quality roll up page

then see if your comp is lame, if good, then turn off auto update, AND the "update recommended" , hook up the internet, check for updates, get the minimum security leftovers, add the other stuff one at a time if you have many recommended...}

Put arma on another drive. Steam will move it for you now I think. In Arma 3 properties, under local files, you can move the install folder.

Edited by kklownboy
made sure of moving install