Wiki

Are people playing ArmA 3 vanilla?

18 minutes ago, Hvymtal said:

Can I also say, if any server owners are reading: CSAT invade and annex. Pretty please?

YES! I want to use the Taru mod that makes the attach and detach of pods possible. It's so beutifull. I just need an OPFOR mission where i can do logi/transport. I love the mods that just improves vanilla. PS. 77th have open invade and annex running vanilla with optional client side mods. It's some good serious servers but not too serious. With good players. They are allmost allways full tho. You might have to hit enter for a minute or five. Oh and class specific gear but still Arsenal.

• Like 1

I personally don't like any MODs to add some assets, because they don't fit to the 2035 universe, make the performance poor and are don't pass any BI's QAs. (Exclude Arma 3 Aegis cough)

I don't want to marge Modern Armies to the Altis, and vice versa.

So, I mostly play Arma 3 with no MODs, or just only few add function MODs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, definitely! Our group (Folk ARPS) has absolutely no required mods for our co-op missions.

It can be a creative challenge to come up with new missions with no new content, but our mission makers are pretty good at overcoming that challenge with clever design and scripting. Plus, Tanks DLC has given us a bunch of new options to make things interesting.

Two years ago...maybe even one year ago,i would have said NO WAY....

However,with all the work and care BIS applied to improving the game,culminating with Tanks DLC(and better physics/vehicle interiors) i gave Vanilla a go again.

I was using RHS US and Russia,and il preface what im about to say by saying i love RHS and have huge respect for their work.As someone (you can tell by my name) who loves Russia/russian assets,RHS CHANGED Arma3 for me. Its been so long since i played Vanilla,but after a few mod conflicts and some poor FPS,i re thought things.

My missions i create are focused on combined arms,something difficult before to because of AI driving/getting stuck on small walls/rocks etc.Bis improved it dramatically,infact,in hours upon hours of testing a vehicle heavy scenario(with hundreds of random WPs) i only saw a tank get stuck once,and it was on tank trap that I placed down ironically...

A mission i made with RHS , 200 INF, 7 ARMOUR pieces ,some static mortars and 4 aircraft had my FPS averaging 25 FPS.(SP)Now...im very strict about performance,i have cleanup scripts,and i do not overburden the mission with many scripts or graphical effects such as particles...

25 FPS is in no way playable for me,so i did some tests,i replaced RHS assets with vanilla assets(same amount) and ran the mission...

Average FPS...50-55. 

I did further tests on an empty map...10 RHS T-80 tanks vs 10 M1A1s....30FPS and stuttering.....Vanilla....60 FPS and no stuttering. Though particle effects from vehicles on fire did drop FPS if looking straight at it.

It was at this point that i realised i would return to vanilla,and in doing so spent time with new weapons/vehicles and gear and found a new respect for them...I have since downloaded 2035 Russia mod(as i want a russian faction) and found a nice balance.With that mod FPS is fine as it uses some vanilla weapons and does not have as many features as RHS,and fits nicely against vanilla Nato.

so,lesson learned for me,find a balance.Mods are great...but too much of anything is bad.

Now if youll excuse me,im  off to enter my T-100 with a cool new interior

• Like 3

9 hours ago, redarmy said:

Bis improved it dramatically,infact,in hours upon hours of testing a vehicle heavy scenario(with hundreds of random WPs) i only saw a tank get stuck once,and it was on tank trap that I placed down ironically...

Can I have your version of arma 3?

In my version tanks constantly bump into buildings, run over fences and sending one single tank through a city will end up with the tank getting stuck somewhere with at least a 50% chance.

Please upload a repro mission that runs for hours upon hours without stuck tanks all over the place.

Edit:

After making this post I sent a T-140 Angara through Larche (060086) on Malden 2035.

4 Waypoints N, W, S and E all placed on the road outside of Larche, so there's plenty of space to turn around.

Image is 2 minutes in, tank didn't make it to the first waypoint:

WulMit0.jpg

Cheers

• Like 2

@Grumpy Old Man

I said they were improved,not perfect.

In my scenario new WPs are always being generated so if a tank does get stuck on one,a new WP issued a few mins later will MOST likely get him out of that stuck situation.If not that one,then the next...Allowances need to be made in a large envoirment like Altis,in other games a tank moving through an urban area would be scripted to know exactly where to go and where not to go,introduce that kind of computing into Arma3 and i would bet performance would be heavily affected.

Besides that theres little reason to send armour through a residential area in anything but safe/careless mode,in which case the unit getting stuck is far less likely.In your pic the tank is in aware/combat mode i see.

But your picture raises a though with me that i wish bohemia looked at,which is why Tanks cannot cause damage to houses,it wouldnt help with getting stuck in most cases but would be realistic and a nice effect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

@Grumpy Old Man

I said they were improved,not perfect.

In my scenario new WPs are always being generated so if a tank does get stuck on one,a new WP issued a few mins later will MOST likely get him out of that stuck situation.If not that one,then the next...Allowances need to be made in a large envoirment like Altis,in other games a tank moving through an urban area would be scripted to know exactly where to go and where not to go,introduce that kind of computing into Arma3 and i would bet performance would be heavily affected.

Besides that theres little reason to send armour through a residential area in anything but safe/careless mode,in which case the unit getting stuck is far less likely.In your pic the tank is in aware/combat mode i see.

But your picture raises a though with me that i wish bohemia looked at,which is why Tanks cannot cause damage to houses,it wouldnt help with getting stuck in most cases but would be realistic and a nice effect.

Claiming "hours upon hours" with only one tank getting stuck on a tank trap sounds perfect to me.

So you're contradicting your previous post, since you never mentioned new waypoints get created once a tank gets stuck, especially since you mentioned that tanks didn't get stuck for hours upon hours of randomly generated waypoints.

The only case I can see this happening is within the salt lake Almyra on Altis.

The points you made about allowances are vague at most, since this series already had AI being able to drive through cities and towns without mowing down fences while swerving left and right, most of the time even swerving more than 2m off the road, without any obstacles causing such a behavior.

You also weren't specific about combat mode, so I assumed default editor placed settings for the AI, which is "AWARE" behavior.

Pathfinding algorithms are pretty fast, having to render 300 units would have more performance impact than having to calculate the paths for those 300 units.

Behavior of a unit has no influence on how often a vehicle tends to get stuck. It only influences road usage and if units will turn out from their positions.

Here's the same mission, only the behavior of the tank crew was set to "SAFE",  barely one minute in, the tank gets stuck for 10 seconds, shortly thereafter it's getting stuck indefinitely:

This is reproducable to a high extent.

AI driving is in the worst place it's ever been, showcased in many videos, on the feedback tracker and heavily discussed on the forum.

Please upload a repro mission that showcases your claim of "hours upon hours" with no tank getting stuck as I, and most likely many others, would like to see.

Cheers

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Claiming "hours upon hours" with only one tank getting stuck on a tank trap sounds perfect to me.

So you're contradicting your previous post, since you never mentioned new waypoints get created once a tank gets stuck, especially since you mentioned that tanks didn't get stuck for hours upon hours of randomly generated waypoints.

The only case I can see this happening is within the salt lake Almyra on Altis.

The points you made about allowances are vague at most, since this series already had AI being able to drive through cities and towns without mowing down fences while swerving left and right, most of the time even swerving more than 2m off the road, without any obstacles causing such a behavior.

You also weren't specific about combat mode, so I assumed default editor placed settings for the AI, which is "AWARE" behavior.

Pathfinding algorithms are pretty fast, having to render 300 units would have more performance impact than having to calculate the paths for those 300 units.

Behavior of a unit has no influence on how often a vehicle tends to get stuck. It only influences road usage and if units will turn out from their positions.

Here's the same mission, only the behavior of the tank crew was set to "SAFE",  barely one minute in, the tank gets stuck for 10 seconds, shortly thereafter it's getting stuck indefinitely:

This is reproducable to a high extent.

AI driving is in the worst place it's ever been, showcased in many videos, on the feedback tracker and heavily discussed on the forum.

Please upload a repro mission that showcases your claim of "hours upon hours" with no tank getting stuck as I, and most likely many others, would like to see.

Cheers

In my scenario AI are not driving through dense urban envoirments,the areas are around ionnina in east Altis,a couple of small towns there.

As i said my scenario has randomly generated WPs,im sure they could get stuck in some cases but in hours of testing i didnt witness it,again as i said im not sending vehicles through dense urban areas,thats your problem. In past Arma3 vehicles got stuck on everything even in open terrain,i rarely ever see that anymore,and yes in my scenario i have playtested it enough to know it is much improved.Just because its not at the level YOU expect doesnt mean it hasnt drastically improved and that sir,was my initial point.

Further more...this topic is about Vanilla Arma3 and NOT vehicle behaviour,can we please stay on topic.

regarding Vanilla ArmA,

in Germany we play Vanilla ArmA3 on GeCo which means Germany Coop. The last 7 years we went Vanilla only. Reason was to attract new Players and intodruce them into ArmA3 MP. Meawhile we also use mods roundabout every 2nd time we play. That modset we´re using contains just TFAR and cba for the moment. The next GeCo will take place tomorrow on wednesday at 07:00 pm (05:00 pm GMT).

As the name says its a Germany Coop Session but we also accept foreign players, you just have to tell them in TS where you come from and the group that will get you will mostley try to communicate as much understandable for everyone in the group as possible.

If you´re seriously  interested so shoot me a message, preferably yet today, so I can see what I can do to invite you.

• Like 2

Check European Tactical Warfare (eutw.net) - it's purely on vanilla Arma and still provides the best non hardcore multiplayer experience.

• Like 1

On 30. 4. 2018 at 10:10 PM, redarmy said:

...I have since downloaded 2035 Russia mod(as i want a russian faction) and found a nice balance.With that mod FPS is fine as it uses some vanilla weapons and does not have as many features as RHS,and fits nicely against vanilla Nato...

Thanks for supporting our mod, buddy... :-)

• Like 2

I played the campaign totally vanilla the first time. Then got hundreds of mods and never looked back. I still use vanilla weapons and gear sometimes..but there really is not enough content to support the game for this long without mods. And many of the mods add much needed features, or are simply better made in terms of models/textures etc 

6 hours ago, ineptaphid said:

I played the campaign totally vanilla the first time. Then got hundreds of mods and never looked back. I still use vanilla weapons and gear sometimes..but there really is not enough content to support the game for this long without mods. And many of the mods add much needed features, or are simply better made in terms of models/textures etc 

Ah the campaign for sure needs some mods at the very least Jsrs and laxxs soundscape. But in the campaign you can probably afford more FPS (most times for me anyway).

I mostly try play vanilla servers that allow a sound mod. Vanilla sounds(nice improvements under hood by the devs). But vanilla are not as good imo tanks dropping sound at 300m no good. 

Zeus community, and jsoc co-op allow this sound mod combo think eutw PvP warfare aswell. Definitely use Jsrs at the very least.

My Vision for arma4 would be the Devs working to have the essential mods in game.

Tfar or such level radio system as a must in the base game. Gots to have it. Communication in this game is so important.

Bad Bensons enhanced movement mod. Jesus Christ it is so sad that I hardly ever get to use this. :''( ravage game mod was so fun with this.

Are more I'm just not derailing further you get the point.

• Like 1

Enhanced Movement is brilliant.  Advanced Urban Rappelling too. JSRS, I'm less keen. Same for the abomination that is blastcore

But I think the point is that an occasional client-side mod is, for me, OK.

I suspect, although he never came back to qualify, that the OP is talking about the big mods that need to be both server and client side such as CUP, RHS and ACE. They are lovely and superlative technical achievements, just not my cup of tea.

• Like 1

Vanilla has great assets and great models and four great maps. Vanilla practically, is great for a quick mission with your friends while mods offer more coordination between your friends. Other than that I think they are both great options to play.