Wiki

Are people playing ArmA 3 vanilla?

Hi there.

Got a question:

I mean, there are a lot of mods outta here.

Still, there are many updates, DLC and expansion for the vanilla game.

However, never seen any community nor group actually playing with the assets.

Is there anyone who has already played ArmA 3 in MP with just the vanilla assets?

usually, it's always with ACE, RHS, Unsung or WW2 mods.

• Like 1

I still play arma 3 vanilla mostly.... surely i'm not alone!

the online servers i play on (mostly 77th public and occasional wasteland) are vanilla and plenty cool missions (wla, liberation anistati, hunter 6, patrol ops etc) all run on vanilla assets so although there are some missions i nerver get round too due to long loading orders there are plenty of vanilla options i think.

i find there are SO MANY mods out there its often easier to find mission s for vanilla rather than maintaining a huge collection of mods, maybe thats just laziness on my part...

• Like 3

hum, I need to rephrase that.

I'm talking about coop or pvp usermade missions.

RHS and A3/CUP terrains. That's the only mods we use in coop.

24 minutes ago, andersson said:

RHS and A3/CUP terrains. That's the only mods we use in coop.

So it's not vanilla ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiki said:

Hi there.

Got a question:

I mean, there are a lot of mods outta here.

Still, there are many updates, DLC and expansion for the vanilla game.

However, never seen any community nor group actually playing with the assets.

Is there anyone who has already played ArmA 3 in MP with just the vanilla assets?

usually, it's always with ACE, RHS, Unsung or WW2 mods.

There's plenty of warfare/BECTI or other MP missions that don't use any mods.

I usually spend 1-2 hours on vanilla Domination servers if I can find one with the debug console enabled. (Most of the time this applies to french or italian servers)

Spoiler

:yay: Hee hee. :yay:

So far most of the MP servers I came across use the barebones vanilla assets without any DLC content, no idea why. Maybe people are overwhelmed adjusting mission content or simply can't wrap their heads around MP mission editing.

Cheers

I'm getting close to 5.5k hours and while I do play quite a lot with mods I still absolutely prefer vanilla.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to pick only one mod it'd be a radio mod.

• Like 2

Yes, vanilla here. My missions allow, but don't require enhanced movement mod, but that's it.

I do like to use every dlc and expansion.

@WikiWith my PvP Community we only use default Arma3. I also play Arma3 with the mods i help make which includes my Nogovan Armed Forces Mod and the Astorian Armed Forces Mod. I also play in the Unsung B52 Delta group which uses Unsung plus other mods.

Arma 3 isn't quite as full as A2 + Arrowhead + BAF, but it's good enough for me.

• Confused 1

I never play vanilla, i play with my WarMod i built as i always have since Arma1 days, but main mods i play with aside

my own compilation mod is RHS, IFA3, CUP, Ravage, and Iraqi-Syrian Conflict mod, and of course not all at once.

• Like 2

Ok, I get the picture now, thx.

• Like 1

Mods have many pro´s, so vanilla has many pro´s.

Vanilla has so much content now, id rather see quality missions with more stability in vanilla, as missions which require tons of mods, which are buggy or low quality and frames are BS.

• Like 2

I usually play mostly Vanilla for Invade and Annex game modes and King of the Hill, Most of the servers I've seen full are the King of the Hill (which started just with RHS, but they have been around for a  couple of years I think or some averaging 100 players almost all the time, running vanilla ArmA of course).

I own all the official DLC but I try not to play it with mods, for one ArmA 3 is pretty heavy (storage space wise) and those mods are not that light (RHS is like 20 GB), a lot of people might have 150 to 200 GB SSD drives, and is not usually just ArmA stuff.

I'm also making some missions that use only vanilla, I think most people don't go through all the process to run a mission with mods (sure, ArmA launcher almost does this automatically but most don't have the patience and the HDD space to run more stuff).

I think a lot of people still play vanilla, Altis live servers are popular but usually KoH are about the same, that's what I usually see on the game server browser anyways.

• Like 1

I only play vanilla. Never liked stuff like RHS, etc. because of the mixed quality. Also these mods tend to be extremely bloated.

• Like 1

Vanilla + Aegis, with a few minor addons like ReColor for example.

• Haha 2

Never Vanilla. Get depressed if can't climb shit cause thats how i maneuver in real life. Also mission makers tend to not accurately calibrate AI skills so they're all terminators and samey. Lastly I like a thriving, people filled world as a backdrop for dynamic gameplay so TPW is just essential

Essentials: Enhanced Movement, my own skills scripts, TPW

1 hour ago, Night515 said:

Vanilla + Aegis, with a few minor addons like ReColor for example.

Vanilla plus a mod.

1 hour ago, froggyluv said:

Also mission makers tend to not accurately calibrate AI skills so they're all terminators and samey.

Either you're saying mission developers who prefer mods are more likely to calibrate their AI skills, or Addon AI are less susceptible to poor mission design.

11 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Vanilla plus a mod.

It's still vanilla setting so I guess it counts.

I used to play alot of RHS. These days i only like RHS for infantry and light vehicles . Ever since Apex came out alot of mods especially RHS have been broken. I get very annoyed with all the uniforms being thermal masking and fucked dammage modles for helicopters not to mention the unlockable Mi8 unless you use an Igla. I started playing RHS because there werent much stuf in vanilla. Now there is a ton of good stuff that corelate decently to what plans armed forces have. For the most part. Dont get me started on the US rotery aircraft or ground vehicles lol. But i just think of them as other NATO countries so the assets fit. (Fun fact. The huron and the Blackfish are the only aircraft that live up to what the US is looking for. Yes the Blackfish is one of the two) Long story short. With all of the updates and DLC vanilla is of a quallity no mod gets close to. I do use Enhansed movement, task force radio and the slingload/rapellling/tow mods. The small mods that add gameplay instead of last decade moddles.

• Like 2

I guess technically I play with the ADR-97, but since that was made by a BI employee and it is pitched as an "official mod" that doesn't really count. In the private group of friends I play with, we also take a minimalistic approach to mods, usually just Aegis and some supporting things like ALIVE, Ares, TFAR, etc, maybe some retextures if we need to do specific representation. Sometimes CUP, sometimes RHS, but usually as stock/lore-friendly as possible

It always possible in my experience to find at least one co-op server on NA or EU with a good amount of players to play with. Teamwork is not Squad great but it's certainly not bad, and if you start talking on mic you're bound to find a squad's worth of player with mic to work with, and those without mics are pretty good at rapid text chat. It's good fun, especially the counterattack where all hell breaks loose and all air support is on respawn (because of course it is). Everyone becomes your best friend since you and a buddy thought to bring not only a tank but also a repair kit, and were not concerned with being late to the offensive part. There's also the official Zeus servers, though to be fair the quality of your game there does depend entirely on having a good zeus, especially one who knows how to balance the AI against the players such that the players will succeed, but not without contest; a lot of "randy" (random) zeus I've encountered either have no idea what they're doing or make a meat grinder; if I wanted a meat grinder, I'd play Argo TDM or KOTH thank you very much :P

Then there's a thing that is frequently overlooked: all of the vanilla content is balanced against each other. A place for everything and everything has its place, and especially for PVP that's a big deal. As an example, the Active Protection on the Red Hammer Studios T-90s in PVP. It basically broke infantry anti-tank dynamics for the US. Sure, RU did have to get creative with side-shot the Abrams because... it's an Abrams and shooting the front armor is a waste of time, but you didn't even have that opportunity with the T-90A, which would just loldelete your SMAW rocket or 84mm round from any angle, whereas a heavy RPG or an ATGM hits the engine compartment of your Abrams and it all goes a little pear-shaped. Thus, we restricted the APS-equipped vehicles for co-op scenarios only, which in turn meant we had to get creative with which Abrams were available to balance it against the available T-90s and T-80s... you get where I'm going with this. And of course, azeriz pointed out several of the other problems with RHS that do not foster good pvp gameplay. You never have this problem with stock Arma 3. 

You likely will not see public groups playing with vanilla, which is a damn shame. I feel like people are missing out on the experience, because it fosters excellent gameplay without the bullshit. I also feel like especially after Tanks has arrived, people will become a lot more skeptical of the positions of certain "big" mods with regards to not doing vehicle interiors. I also feel like more groups will pop up with a "vanilla only" policy, at least for playable content.

Can I also say, if any server owners are reading: CSAT invade and annex. Pretty please?

As for public no-membership servers, I'm hopping on 77th JSOC invade and annex under a different name right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1