Xavier Greenblue

Arma3 or APEX for singleplayer?

Hi everyone !

I am a simulation guy.

From flight simulator in 1998 to f22 lightning2, to beamng (I recommend) a few years ago, i want - and love - realism and to play demanding games which require time to learn... and master.

I live in Reunion island (french department in the indian ocean) so I will not be able to play multiplayer (in counter strike (not a simulation!), my ping is rising above clouds).

A few questions, regarding the choice on Steam for ARMA3 only or APEX version (including Arma3) :

1) Is APEX an addon to ARMA3 or a separated game? (In the game menu: i got the greek maps AND Tanoa in the same game, or I will have two separated games installed on my computer?)

2) As soon as I will only play solo game, and that it seems that the campaign version of Apex is not very "milsim", do you recommend the buy of APEX or ARMA3 only is sufficient for long hours of pleasure?

3) Except the campaign, to evaluate the future lifespan of the game:    a) is there separated missions ready to play?  b) is the mission editor easy to use?

Thanks for advance !!

Hello, Welcome to Bis forums!

1 hour ago, Xavier Greenblue said:

1) Is APEX an addon to ARMA3 or a separated game?

Apex is a DLC for Arma3 but imo its really considered an expansion to Arma3 because the amount of content especially a beautiful island (map).

Apex will be installed in the same directory as the arma3 game, you need arma3 in order to have apex, but if you buy the Apex edition then you will get arma3 with Apex.

I would recommend buying Apex, look at this page of what Apex offers:

https://arma3.com/apex

it has ALOT of content and major updates.

a) is there separated missions ready to play?

Yes i'd say thousands of them, you can get missions either from Armaholic ----> http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_scenarios

or Arma3 Steamworkshop ----> https://steamcommunity.com/app/107410/workshop/

or make your own.

b) is the mission editor easy to use?

Yes and no. It really depends what you want to do, there are tutorials but you can create simple missions fairly easily, if you need help there alot of resources,

and of course you can always come to the forum here and ask, theres alot of good members here that would be willing to help out a new guy with the editor for whatever questions they may have.

Hope that answers your questions, cheers!

• Like 1

Welcome to ARMA.

APEX is basically an ADDON to ARMA 3. It includes a new map - Tanoa, and a bunch of new gear with a new sub faction - CSAT Pacific, which is an addition to CSAT. 

New Map

New Weapons

New Vehicals

New Jets

I play mostly in SP myself and I recommend you get at LEAST ARMA 3 + APEX. The Tanoa MAP alone is basically a huge playground and is the BEST map ever made by BIS, my personal opinion.

It is a tropical island (Fiji) vs the default ARMA 3 maps which are Mediterranean (Greece).

The other DLC you can get later as you get to know ARMA.

Also, I understand you have a super high ping but you can try COOP missions as those request less fast connection but much more teamplay. Ravage and Escape missions are top notch for coop play. You DONT have to run and gun to win. Simply surviving can be enough.

I play on Outkast's EU escape servers all the time. You can at least just ping Outkasts.eu to see if your response time is good enough ~ 300 ms or less.

There is a wealth of single player missions and coop just takes it another step up. Good luck and welcome to ARMA.

Thanks for your answers !! Apex seems to be the way to go...

If I install APEX, i will get, in the menu, the original content of ARMA3?

I saw that APEX had a few technical refinements, like modified sounds, weapons, etc... but if I play the original content of ARMA3, will i get those refinements?

See you !!

Yes, as it has been said: APEX is an Addon. Which basically means what it says: It adds content on the original content. So if you get Arma 3 only you'll get all the Content from Arma 3 (+ any free updates). If you get Arma 3 + APEX you get all the Content from Arma 3 + APEX (+ any free updates).