avibird 1

What is the real difference between precision and skill level in difficulty settings?

Now that all the in-game visual assists can be turned on and off from a menu. What is the real difference between difficulty settings novice normal ect for example precision versus skill level. 

I always thought precision is accuracy with aiming and shooting for AI and skill was the reaction time line of sight and communication between the AI.

58 minutes ago, avibird 1 said:

Now that all the in-game visual assists can be turned on and off from a menu. What is the real difference between difficulty settings novice normal ect for example precision versus skill level. 

I always thought precision is accuracy with aiming and shooting for AI and skill was the reaction time line of sight and communication between the AI.

Difficulty settings?

At this point, especially after the infamous "AI refactoring"?

No freaking idea.

The difficulty AI skill sliders only work upon mission start, so once you spawn in units they revert to the default values of the editor.

This video was made after the recent AI "refactoring" to make lower precision values not bugged, according to the devs this should make AI at lower precision value more precise than with the old setting using the same values.

Changing precision from 0.05 to 0.5 to 1.0, with skillFinal always returning 0.75.

Seems the devs are lost on this one as well.

On a sidenote, "refactoring" basically means to improve the structure/readability of code without changing the behavior/outcome of said code.

So not quite sure what the AI "refactoring" was all about since it broke basically every mission that relied on AI accuracy up to that point in time.

Using AI skill slider and precision slider at 0.00 I still get killed 1 out of 5 times with an opfor rifle squad at 700m.

More to read:

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks grumpy for the Intel but still am very confused on how to adjust AI setting for balancing purposes of missions. ?

The "precision" slider in the difficulty settings is a multiplier for aiming accuracy and aiming shake. And the "skill" slider controls the rest of the skills like spotting abilities and courage. Both sliders affect all units - friends and enemies, spawned and pre-existing, as long as the sliders are set before the mission start.

The difficulty sliders always change their respective skills, i.e. you can always make any mission easier/harder with them.

Do note that apparently the "skill" will also affect AI's precision to a degree. So you can't make the AI a terrible shot just by lowering the precision.

• Thanks 1