AZCoder

[sp camp] Gambit Royale

XiilcI1Z_o.jpg

Gates of ARMAgeddon Part 2: Gambit Royale

Version 2.0 released 2022/08/10

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1395294169

Only America's best secret ops unit can stop a madman from pushing the world's two greatest powers into World War 3. Play as Delta Force operator Ian Jones in this remake of my Arma 2 campaign.

Gambit Royale is the action-packed single-player campaign sequel to Shadow Fall, picking up right where the latter campaign ended in Berezino. Ian Jones is a troubled man that has seen the horrors of humanity during his years in the US special forces. As events start to spin out of control, Ian must keep it together in order to prevent the world from falling into oblivion. The missions can be described as atmospheric, character oriented, and plot driven. As the campaign progresses (especially if you played Shadow Fall), you may question if the actions of the antagonist are out of revenge, or the result of the protagonist inadvertently making the situation worse.

zjXwDWYs_o.jpg

More images:

ZcWkjE88_o.jpg

fJg6K82K_o.jpg

5KBJjS2S_o.jpg

OPQXErHf_o.jpg

4fItyNOF_o.jpg

zYOHTMp4_o.jpg

Ljsedy2B_o.jpg

nUmIC8Vt_o.jpg

jm90P39F_o.jpg

Features of Gambit Royale include:

• Fully voice acted
  • Action packed cut scenes
  • Radiation simulation
  • Nuclear explosion effects by Alias
  • Dust storms
  • Custom inventory items for specific needs
  • Overriden Arma 3 default player animations so you don't move around like you need the bathroom all the time
  • Missions in Chernarus, Takistan, Sefrou Ramal, Zargabad, and Malden 2035
  • Enemy factions include Chedaki, Takistani, and Ardistani
  • Some animations ported from Arma 2
  • LDL AC130 Gunship script-only version from Arma 2
  • Custom-scripted ambient vehicles and civilians in some places
  • Some Cheeki Breeki action
  • And much more!

Required DLC

Required Addons

What Changed From The 2018 Release?

Gambit Royale v2 was intended mainly a major bug fix with some mods swapped out, and it snowballed. I redid much of the voice acting for Ian. Have a new voice actor for Anatoli in this campaign and Shadow Fall. Have a voice actor for Natalia Maslova, a character that appeared in the 2010 version but I was unable to use in the 2018 release. If you have played the previous release, here's a breakdown of changes mission by mission if you are interested:

#1 - Escape from Kolgujev - I scrubbed Kolgujev from the series (for story reasons) and moved the mission back to Chernarus. Ian has more interaction with his Chedaki captors now, and this mission ties into the beginning of Harvest Red (from Arma 2) with original characters from the campaign lightly involved.

#2 - Scourge - Some tweaking and objective text updates, nothing major changed. Removed Soviet era video.

#3 - Briefing on Utes - Removed opening video and replaced it with images, but otherwise mostly the same.

#4 - Turbulence - There are tweaks, fixes, and the length was cut in half.

#5 - Zargabad - Mostly the same.

#6 - Infiltrator - Removed Shapur and placed it on Sefrou Ramal. Removed the radar tracker gimmick and added a randomization placement system for the main objective, so if you replay or restart this mission, you will not know where your main target is until you complete a preliminary objective first.

#7 - Maelstrom - Also on Sefrou Ramal and very different from previous version.

#8 - Final Mission - Some of it is the same, some of it changed a lot.

There are also completely new cutscenes on Sefrou Ramal and also the Proving Grounds map.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

Hello there AZCoder !

That video was amazing !

Keep up the good work !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If any kind player would like to beta test, please let me know. I'm mainly looking for feedback to ensure it's good to go and if there is anything that seems wrong or confusing. When you spend a year working on something like this, sometimes you get tunnel vision and don't test your own work the same way a player would.

• Like 1

Hey @AZCoder!!!

Congrats for this one!

Sadly I have no time to test it for you :-(

I enjoyed it on A2 and happy to see it coming on A3!

1 question also:

how did you manage to have the AC-130 script work on A3?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very impressive video dude.  I can only imagine all the hard work that went into this campaign.  :icon14:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Wiki said:

Hey @AZCoder!!!

Congrats for this one!

Sadly I have no time to test it for you :-(

I enjoyed it on A2 and happy to see it coming on A3!

1 question also:

how did you manage to have the AC-130 script work on A3?

Thanks!

I fixed a few bits of the AC130 script that did not work in A3. Was easier than I expected. I did not fix all of it, some of the overlay is missing text. I tried reaching out to LurchiDerLurch but he hasn't been online in a few years, so I don't want to overstep my bounds. I only touched the script version that he had released for mission makers and it works great. And it's so fun :thumb_down:

Oh! I got a beta tester, so I'm good there now, thank you.

Edited by AZCoder
clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some screen shots

a0.jpg 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg 

a3.jpg

a4.jpg 

a5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice images AZCoder !

Nice filter on the second one !

Is it an in game one?

• Like 1

Yes, it's a blue morning and will appear that way when playing. I only used the splendid camera to tilt the image a little.

I also updated the first post with required AND optional addons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since it's in game , check also if you want here , you might find anything useful.!

22 minutes ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Since it's in game , check also if you want here , you might find anything useful.!

Thanks, I will use some of that.

• Thanks 1

I've been doing some testing against the Arma 3 platform update and finding some new issues, issues that mainly seem to revolve around RHS, and some slight change in AI behavior that require adjusting some scenes. One bug is a popup error when RHS soldiers yell to take cover, I think it's specific to that mod. So I will wait for a patch on that while I fix up a few things on my end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update: I made a major change to the first mission over the past week, and it's now back in beta testing. I would still like to wait until the RHS patch comes out; no idea when that will be so we shall see.

• Like 2

3 more new pics

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Update: still waiting on the RHS patch. I could release before, but don't want to give bad impression because of popup boxes about CoverMe.

I want to give a huge thanks to my play testers, @HeroesandvillainsOS and @XerXesCZ because they both have gone beyond the call of duty, not just playing the missions, but reloading them and trying different vectors to approach situations and telling me things that I never thought about or didn't think important, or finding bugs that I thought were squashed but come back to haunt me (stupid MRAP driver). I think the campaign should be pretty solid when it hits the ground (soon ... very soon).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads-up: I plan to release this coming weekend (Memorial Day weekend). I don't know which day specifically. I thought it was good to go, found a major breaking bug last night that only occurs in a certain situation. It will be easy to fix, and hopefully that's the last of them. I can hope right? Campaigns of this complexity have a lot of moving parts :z:

Keep in mind that RHS has not released a patch yet, so in 2 of the 8 missions you will get a "SentCover" *popup* error at the start of combat. This should happen ONE time. It's annoying, but fortunately it doesn't happen in 6 of the missions. This is a bug caused by Bohemia's last patch and has affected other mods like CUP units. C'est la vie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 6:54 PM, AZCoder said:

a8.jpg

In this scene, I hope to hear some spaghetti western music by the master Ennio Morricone.  :)

Good news about the campaign.  People need to block out some time this weekend for Gambit Royale!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2018 at 11:03 AM, johnnyboy said:

In this scene, I hope to hear some spaghetti western music by the master Ennio Morricone.  :)

Good news about the campaign.  People need to block out some time this weekend for Gambit Royale!

This scene is everything to me. :)

Since release is pending, I just wanted to pop in and say I’m totally honored to have been entrusted with beta testing this campaign. It’s been quite the experience.

When I purchased Arma 3 years and years ago (it was right after MANW was in the gaming press), I originally bought it after doing research and what sealed the deal for me was all the nifty user made SP content I’d heard about being shared on Steam. In my mind, there would be a wealth of fan-made stories, with cutscenes and voice overs and globetrotting and cool tactical scenarios.

Of course, after getting it, and although Arma 3 would become my favorite game of all-time, it was for new reasons I discovered, and friends I met (mostly here). Arma was mostly never the game I had “hoped” for (not in a bad way, by any means), but from time to time a handful of SP experiences do remind me of the game I originally wanted (Johnnyboy, your newest mission is a perfect example of this hidden gaming treasure I stumble upon from time to time!).

Let me tell you , Gambit Royale is everything I’d ever wanted when I originally decided to buy Arma 3. This campaign is lovingly made. The story really grabs you, the voice overs are very well done, and man oh man, the cutscenes and the “Uncharted-like” adventure this sets you on from country to country is a real treasure.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank AZCoder for trusting me enough to test and try to break this thing, for being a really cool and creative dude, and for yet another remarkable campaign.

Enjoy everyone (when it’s out, which should be soon)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Johnnyboy, your newest mission is a perfect example of this hidden gaming treasure I stumble upon from time to time!

Thanks dude! I really appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Anyway, I just wanted to thank AZCoder ... for being a really cool and creative dude, and for yet another remarkable campaign.

I second all your sentiments man.   AZCoder puts serious thought, work, creativity and depth into his campaigns.  He should get paid for it IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

Thanks dude! I really appreciate it.

I second all your sentiments man.   AZCoder puts serious thought, work, creativity and depth into his campaigns.  He should get paid for it IMO.

Thanks you guys, that's awesome to hear.

The campaign is one bug fix away from completion. Although it seems like there's always another thing to fix, this time I ran all the way through and it's literally at the end of the last mission there's a double fade out to black, finally found out why LOL. 2 triggers call it for different reasons. So it looks like I will hit a Friday evening release.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm pushing this to Saturday. I fell asleep for 3 hours after work, lots of insomnia lately, and after doing a final test of the campaign I found a ridiculous bug at the ending ... some dude is missing his clothes ... kind of hilarious but it doesn't belong. So it's nearly midnight and I'm really tired. Some time after I wake up I will release this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wuss.  Drink more coffee.  Don't be selfish...you care more about your own health and well being than your fans!!!!  Hahaha. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Wuss.  Drink more coffee.  Don't be selfish...you care more about your own health and well being than your fans!!!!  Hahaha. 

You just wanted it released with a naked dude at the end.

Well that was the most sleep I've had in a about 4 weeks. 3 + 7 more.

• Like 2

Gambit Royale is released!

I updated the first post with links to both Steam and my own web server for those who are more DIY.

I also added a link to the completely optional PDF guide. It contains some bits of advice on the missions, plus insider info and spoilers aplenty. Please play the campaign before reading spoilers :thumb_down:

And thanks everyone for their kind words and support over the past few months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2