swift39

Scripting a Group of Protesting Civilians

Happy Easter Everyone,

I am currently attempting to create a mission that involves a group of Protesters (Civilians) that initially use animations, then when the situation escalates they become armed and go on the offensive. Unfortunately my scripting skills are less than novice and reading the Forums am struggling with it. Using IndeedPete's example in this thread https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/175237-arma-3-animations/ and trying various examples from other posts can only seem to make this work.

_animation = ["c7a_bravoTOerc_idle8", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "c7a_bravoTleskani_idle5", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
Protester switchMove _animation;
Protester_1 switchMove _animation;
Protester_2 switchMove _animation;
Protester_3 switchMove _animation;

On testing this seems to work intermittently and does not appear to "randomize" on the AI, I mean they all seem to get the same animation. I have created a unit called Protesters and set the Composition:Init to the following

unit_zpsstigat5q.png

Comp_zpszelyurlc.png

What I would like to have happen is to ensure the animations play and are truly random amongst the group, each one playing a different animation. Also would like to set it up that I don't have to add each civilian into the script and just being able to add them to the unit, I plan on a lot of protestors. Group and Unit seem to cause scripting errors, which I am sure I have missed something. Also would like the animations to randomize continually so each protester changes their animation at times.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

Greg 

{
    sleep 0.1;
    _animation = ["c7a_bravoTOerc_idle8", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "c7a_bravoTleskani_idle5", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
    _x switchMove _animation;
} forEach [Protester,Protester_1,Protester_2,Protester_3];

sleep is optional, I like to add a slight delay in case more than one get the same animation

Thank You AZCoder.

I have this portion working, after finding that some animations well... Just don't work!

{
doStop _x;
_x  disableAI "PATH";
_x setDir 180;
sleep 0.1;
_animation = ["zevl2_c0start", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "zevl7_c0start", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
playSound "protest1";
} forEach [ProtesterA, ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4, 
ProtesterA_5, ProtesterA_6, ProtesterA_7, ProtesterA_8, ProtesterA_9, ProtesterA_10, 
ProtesterA_11, ProtesterA_12, ProtesterA_13, ProtesterA_14, ProtesterA_15, ProtesterA_16, 
ProtesterA_17, ProtesterA_18, ProtesterA_19, ProtesterA_20, ProtesterA_21, ProtesterA_22, 
ProtesterA_23, ProtesterA_24];

Messing around with a loop function from the forums and not having much luck as of yet. I have been testing the animDone EH and the waitUntil script, nether seems to function yet ( I will post when I get some results other than script errors or breaking the script as I am sure I am doing something wrong there, also cannot get the custom sound file to play.

What I would like to have happen is when a protester animation is completed it again randomly picks another one and continues the cycle until an event happens to stop it (gun shot or explosion) then the civilians will be armed (randomly?)  and the scenario will continue. I am confident I have the sound structure set up correctly in the description.ext and the sound files are in .ogg format.

class CfgSounds
{
	sounds[] = {protest1, protest2};
		class protest1
		{
			// how the sound is referred to in the editor (e.g. trigger effects)
			name = "protest1";
			// filename, volume, pitch, distance
			sound[] = {"\Sound\fx_protest1.ogg", 50, 1, 100};
			// subtitle delay in seconds, subtitle text 
			titles[] = {};
		};
		class protest2
		{
			// how the sound is referred to in the editor (e.g. trigger effects)
			name = "protest2";
			// filename, volume, pitch, distance
			sound[] = {"\Sound\fx_protest2.ogg", 50, 1, 100};
			// subtitle delay in seconds, subtitle text 
			titles[] = {};
		};
};

Again any advice,. hints or tricks appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

I have been playing with these for a few hours now, and it is beyond me why it appears to work in one test, partially works in another and wont do anything at all. I have been trying various versions of the following trying to follow the forum posts

{
doStop _x;
_x  disableAI "PATH";
_x setDir 180;
sleep 0.1;
_animation = ["zevl2_c0start", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "zevl7_c0start", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
waitUntil{animationState _x != _animation};
playSound "protest1";
} forEach [ProtesterA, ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4, ProtesterA_5, ProtesterA_6, ProtesterA_7, ProtesterA_8, ProtesterA_9, ProtesterA_10, ProtesterA_11, ProtesterA_12, ProtesterA_13, ProtesterA_14, ProtesterA_15, ProtesterA_16, ProtesterA_17, ProtesterA_18, ProtesterA_19, ProtesterA_20, ProtesterA_21, ProtesterA_22, ProtesterA_23, ProtesterA_24];

and

{
doStop _x;
_x  disableAI "PATH";
_x setDir 180;
sleep 0.1;
animLoop = _x addEventHandler ["AnimDone", { _x switchMove "_animation" }];
_x setVariable [ "animLoop", animLoop ];
playSound "protest1";
} forEach [ProtesterA, ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4, ProtesterA_5, ProtesterA_6, ProtesterA_7, ProtesterA_8, ProtesterA_9, ProtesterA_10, ProtesterA_11, ProtesterA_12, ProtesterA_13, ProtesterA_14, ProtesterA_15, ProtesterA_16, ProtesterA_17, ProtesterA_18, ProtesterA_19, ProtesterA_20, ProtesterA_21, ProtesterA_22, ProtesterA_23, ProtesterA_24];

Depending on what configuration dictates on how the AI react, obviously, but seems to very erronious and sometimes unwxpected results. Anyone have any ideas, examples or advise. Am I even on the right track with this? Anyway thanks in advance.

Cheers

Greg

Some animations require disableAI "ANIM" to work correctly. If you haven't already, I would add that in there and let it apply to all animations. It prevents animation auto-switching. I believe animdone will still fire.

Well I like to say it has been a weekend well wasted, kidding I have learned a bit about scripting. Thank you very much AZCoder.

I still cannot get the AI animation to loop and change animations, nor get the sound to play, but have learned what various commands do and more importantly not do. I have started the Combat Mode for the Ai and while it is really a work in progress it appears that it may just work when I get it sorted out. Here is what I accomplished so far, please remember the Combat Mode was just started and am still sorting it through.

{
// AI prevented to move or change behaviour.
_x disableAI "PATH";
_x disableAI "MOVE";
_x stop true;
_x setBehaviour "CARELESS";

//Disable Animination and Set AI direction to South.
sleep 0.1;
_x disableAI "ANIM";
_x setFormDir 180;
_x setDir 180;

//AI animation is selected randomly and started
_animation = ["UnaErcVelitelProslov4", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "shaftoe_c0briefing_otazky_loop6", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

//AI animation is looped and randomly changed
animLoop = _x addEventHandler ["AnimDone", { _x switchMove _animation }];
_x setVariable [ "animLoop", animLoop, true ];

//Protest Chant
playSound "protest1";

// Combat Mode, Randomly selects weapons for Civilians
_x addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {
_x enableAI "ALL";
_x stop false;
_x setBehaviour "COMBAT";
_x call BIS_fnc_ambientAnim__terminate;
_arm = [ "hgun_Rook40_F", "hgun_P07_F", "arifle_AKM_F", "launch_RPG7_F"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
[_x, _arm, 8] call BIS_fnc_addWeapon;
_x setCombatMode "RED";
}];

Again any suggestions, hints, tips and tricks greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, my weekend is over and will have to get back to reality and time will be limited to work on this for a few days.

Cheers

Greg 

• Like 1

A couple things I noted. Where did you get the animations? They appear to be Arma 2, so maybe you're using Indeed Pete's conversion? When I switched them to known Arma 3 animations, that part worked fine. As an example, and I know these are totally inappropriate:

_animation = ["Acts_B_M05_briefing", "Acts_JetsOfficerSpilling", "acts_miller_knockout", "InBaseMoves_HandsBehindBack1"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

The other bit is that you need to grab the civilian inside the FiredNear event handler to make use of him.

_x addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {
        _civ = _this select 0;
        _civ enableAI "ALL";
        _civ stop false;
        _civ setBehaviour "COMBAT";
        _civ switchMove "";
        _arm = [ "hgun_Rook40_F", "hgun_P07_F", "arifle_AKM_F", "launch_RPG7_F"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
        [_civ, _arm, 8] call BIS_fnc_addWeapon;
        _civ setCombatMode "RED";
    }];

And I don't think BIS_fnc_ambientAnim__terminate does anything useful here, so I put in the switchMove "".

• Like 1

I've been doing a lot of custom sound work in the last few concepts and missions I've done personally. Try this in your description.ext

class CfgSounds
{
	class fx_protest1
	{
		name = "fx_protest1";
		sound[] = {"\Sound\fx_protest1.ogg", db+50, 1, 100};
		titles[] = {};
	};
	class fx_protest2
	{
		name = "fx_protest2";
		sound[] = {"\Sound\fx_protest2.ogg",db+50, 1, 100};
		titles[] = {};
	};
};

You may need to test and tweak the "db+50" around, that may be a bit loud.

And to call your sound, I like remoteExec since it'll broadcast in an MP setting (I didn't see whether your mission was SP or MP)

[yourProtestorsNameHere,["fx_protest1",50,1]] remoteExec ["say3D",0];

That should get your sound working.

Thank you very much of both of you...

14 hours ago, XianGrim said:

That should get your sound working.

The sound play flawlessly and yes the intent is to have this a MP mission so thanks for the advice on how to make the sound MP friendly. I do have to look into stopping the sound when the "FiredNear" or "Explosion" EH is triggered though.

23 hours ago, AZCoder said:

They appear to be Arma 2, so maybe you're using Indeed Pete's conversion? When I switched them to known Arma 3 animations, that part worked fine. As an example, and I know these are totally inappropriate:

Yes, I am using IndeedPete's Arma2 Cutscenes mod. The animations I selected work fine in this:

_animation = ["UnaErcVelitelProslov4", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "shaftoe_c0briefing_otazky_loop6", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

The problem I am having is I wanted to have the animations play in a loop with the "Protester" switching the animation when the current one is completed. The problem is in the loop function or is it because I am using Arma 2 animations:

Worked a bit more on the Combat state of the protesters. The plan is to have either a suicide bomber or Blufor soldier (firing a weapon or Explosion) trigger a "Riot" where the protester become armed and engage all units in the area (military or civilian). 

_civ = _this select 0;
_civ enableAI "ALL";
_civ stop false;
_civ switchMove "";
switch (round(random 5)) do
{
	case 0:
	{
		_civ addMagazines ["16Rnd_9x21_Mag", 5];
		_civ addWeapon "hgun_Rook40_F";
	};
	case 1:
	{

};
	case 2:
	{
		_civ addMagazines ["11Rnd_45ACP_Mag", 5];
		_civ addWeapon "hgun_Pistol_heavy_01_F";
	};
	case 3:
	{
		_civ addMagazines ["30Rnd_762x39_Mag_F", 5];
		_civ addWeapon "arifle_AKM_F";
	};
	case 4:
	{
		_civ addMagazines ["RPG7_F", 3];
		_civ addWeapon "launch_RPG7_F";
	};
};
_civilianUnit setFriend [West, 0];
_civilianUnit setFriend [East, 0];
_civilianUnit setFriend [civilian, 0];
}];

I created a "Random" switch manly because well the protesters need ammunition and that seemed a simple approach.

In the current configuration, which definitly need more R&D on my part I am finding that:

• Protesters seem to not engage and continue with the expected civilian behavior.
  • Weapons appear to be random but don't seem to attaching to the protester (eg. The weapon will appear for some one to be erect while the protester is prone or cowering state) I am thinking this is because they are not changing their state. I am also at this point handgun are holstered on the protester as I have not seen one yet.
  • Civilians wont engage and seem not to be in an unfriendly state and continue to act like civilians.

I am assuming that I will have to attempt to use the "joinSilent" approach. Again this is much a work in progress, but am happy with the results thus far. Thanks again and welcome any comments, advice or ideas.

Cheers

Greg

Full Script to date:

Spoiler

{
_x disableAI "PATH";
_x disableAI "MOVE";
_x stop true;

sleep 0.1;
_x disableAI "ANIM";
_x setFormDir 180;
_x setDir 180;

//_animation = ["Acts_B_M05_briefing", "Acts_JetsOfficerSpilling", "acts_miller_knockout", "InBaseMoves_HandsBehindBack1"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

//Protest Chant
[ProtesterA, ["fx_protest1", 30, 1]] remoteExec ["say3D", 0];

_civ = _this select 0;
_civ enableAI "ALL";
_civ stop false;
_civ switchMove "";
{
 case 0:
 {
 };
 case 1:
 {

};
 case 2:
 {
 };
 case 3:
 {
 };
 case 4:
 {
 };
};
_civilianUnit setFriend [West, 0];
_civilianUnit setFriend [East, 0];
_civilianUnit setFriend [civilian, 0];
}];

That A2 anims should be fine, I just didn't have it running when I tested. Well I'd have to look at that when I'm more awake.

Civilians won't ever attack, unless somebody knows a trick for that. If you want hostile civilians, you have to pick another faction and dress them up as civilians and set their combatMode blue and setCaptive true, maybe disableAI "autotarget" other things to keep them from treating you like the enemy too soon. Just guessing, haven't tried that.

Thanks AZCoder, hopefully I can figure out a trick, lol

Been playing around with this and while I would love to embarrass the kids with my happy dance, it will have to wait, but have shown a bit of promise that this can be done.

The following is not working properly but shows promise in the sense a Civilian AI attacked me.

//Make enemy
_x addRating -10000;
_x setFriend [West, 0];
_x setFriend [civilian, 0];
//Change AI state
_civ = _this select 0;
_civ enableAI "ALL";
_civ stop false;
_civ switchMove "";
//Give AI weapon randomly
{
	case 0:
	{
	};
	case 1:
	{

};
	case 2:
	{
	};
	case 3:
	{
	};
	case 4:
	{
	};
};
//Set combat mode.

//_SideHQ = createCenter EAST;
//_group = creatGroup EAST;
//{[_civ] joinSilent _group;} forEach _civ addon _group;
}];

Current issues in this section:

• Not all civilians are "breaking out" of the animation mode.
  • Some civilians still reacting like civilians and not going into combat mode
  • Only ProtesterA (the first in the forEach string) changes and reacts
  • Weapon randomization may not be working as ProtesterA when killed dumps a mini arsenal and appears other given weapons may have multiple.

I am sure there are other issues but in the end I had one Protester shoot at me.

Protester%20A%20shooting_zpsd4sl053e.jpg

Thanks again and really open to any suggestions or ideas from anyone. 

Cheers

Greg

Full Code to date:

Spoiler

{
_x disableAI "PATH";
_x disableAI "MOVE";
_x stop true;

sleep 0.1;
_x disableAI "ANIM";
_x setFormDir 180;
_x setDir 180;

//_animation = ["Acts_B_M05_briefing", "Acts_JetsOfficerSpilling", "acts_miller_knockout", "InBaseMoves_HandsBehindBack1"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

//Protest Chant
[ProtesterA, ["fx_protest1", 30, 1]] remoteExec ["say3D", 0];

//Make enemy
_x addRating -10000;
_x setFriend [West, 0];
_x setFriend [civilian, 0];
//Change AI state
_civ = _this select 0;
_civ enableAI "ALL";
_civ stop false;
_civ switchMove "";
//Give AI weapon randomly
{
 case 0:
 {
 };
 case 1:
 {

};
 case 2:
 {
 };
 case 3:
 {
 };
 case 4:
 {
 };
};
//Set combat mode.

//_SideHQ = createCenter EAST;
//_group = creatGroup EAST;
//{[_civ] joinSilent _group;} forEach _civ addon _group;
}];

Awhile back I wanted to do a script for civilians having the ability to "concealed carry" and I got a lot of help from I believe F2kSel (it's been awhile). Take a look through it, you may find something that helps. Seems similar to what you're doing

Spoiler

{

if (random 1 < 0.15) then {

params ["_unit", "_shooter", "_distance"];

if (

_distance > 25 ||

(isPlayer _unit) ||

{_unit getVariable ["hasTarget", false]} ||

{side _shooter == civilian}

) exitWith {};

_weapon = selectRandom ["hgun_ACPC2_F", "hgun_P07_F", "hgun_P07_F", "hgun_Rook40_F"];

_mag = selectRandom (getArray (configFile >> "CfgWeapons" >> _weapon >> "magazines"));

_unit addMagazine _mag;

_unit addWeapon _weapon;

[_unit] joinSilent createGroup sideEnemy;

_unit allowFleeing 0;

_unit setSkill ["courage", 1];

_unit reveal [_shooter, 3.75];

_unit setVariable ["hasTarget", true];

[_unit, _shooter, _weapon] spawn {

params ["_unit", "_shooter", "_weapon"];

waitUntil {

sleep 0.1;

!alive _unit ||

{_shooter distance _unit > 50}

};

_unit setVariable ["hasTarget", false];

_unit removeWeapon _weapon;

};

}];

};

} forEach (allUnits select {side _x == civilian});

sleep 60;

0 = [] execVM "concealed_carry.sqf";

Specifically, I think if you look at adding the: 

[_unit] joinSilent createGroup sideEnemy;

_unit allowFleeing 0;

_unit reveal [_shooter, 3.75];

you might be able to get on the right track.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Duh! LOL I should know this, I've had civs join a faction before. Yeah that looks really good.

The sound play flawlessly and yes the intent is to have this a MP mission so thanks for the advice on how to make the sound MP friendly. I do have to look into stopping the sound when the "FiredNear" or "Explosion" EH is triggered though.

If you want, for the sound to stop, you could place an invisible helipad down in the center of the protesters, call it "ProtesterVoice" or some such. Then play the sound from there with the code I mentioned but use the voice instead so it would be:

[ProtesterVoice,["fx_protest1",50,1]] remoteExec ["say3D",0];

Then in your EH, you could simply delete it with deleteVehicle. Though you'd have to come up with a createVehicle solution to spawn the voice again if you wanted it to be reuseable.

Just a thought!

Thank you to you all... 

Unfortunately life got in the way last night so haven't had a lot of time to play with this. Will get back at after work today and see if I can achieve success.

A couple questions though...

in the forEach statement I currently have 25 "Protesters, is that to many should I cut it down and create smaller? I am just asking because it seems that when the "FiredNear" EH is triggered not all the AI respond, or is it just because the script isn't right yet. the other question is when creating a group do you have to create a unit to join the group ?

Thanks again and hopefully will post some positive results tonight.

Cheers

Greg

Performance will vary from pc to pc and I could see 25 EH's being a potential slowdown. Maybe you could assign the EH to just 3 or 4 of the protesters, the guys closest to the action, and when one is triggered then just apply the random reaction to the rest of the crowd. And make sure to remove the EH from all protesters once fired to avoid massive feedback loops.

If you ever need to test script performance, in the debug console there's a timer icon somewhere, don't remember off the top of my head but it was easy to use. Also check out these links, KK posted a function you can directly call to test code

http://killzonekid.com/arma-scripting-tutorials-code-performance/

and general code optimisation for SQF

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Code_Optimisation

Also if you create a group in script, you just join units to it.

Again thanks to you all for your advice and input...

I have been trying different ways of accomplishing this and I know its my knowledge of scripting, also reading forums I think I have managed to confuse myself a bit, so with that said I am going to take a break for a few hours, maybe a nap and attend my step grandsons ball game and hopefully re-approach this with a fresh look later this afternoon.

So where I am at...

Spoiler

{
_x disableAI "PATH";
_x disableAI "MOVE";
_x stop true;

//Disable Animation and Set AI direction to South.
sleep 0.1;
_x disableAI "ANIM";
_x setFormDir 180;
_x setDir 180;

The above spoiler works with all the Protesters facing south and performing a random animation.

Although I havent worked on this portion for awhile now, it will not loop or change animations. I intend to look at if "disableAI" is effecting the "AnimDone"  EH or hopefully find out why this wont initiate.

//Protest Chant
[ProtesterA_1, ["fx_protest1", 30, 1]] remoteExec ["say3D", 0];

Works Great! and appears when the "FiredNear" EH is triggered and the AI change their state it stop automatically.

//Determine which civilians are armed
civGunChance = 0.5; 	//Odds Civilian will be armed
civGuns = ["hgun_ACPC2_F","hgun_P07_F","hgun_P07_F","hgun_Rook40_F"];

if (random 1 < civGunChance) then 
{
	_gun = selectRandom civGuns;
	_mag = selectRandom (getArray (configFile >> "CfgWeapons" >> _gun >> "magazines"));
	_x addMagazine _mag; 
	_x addItemToUniform _gun;
};

Reading the post XianGrim created for his script, I liked the idea where this lead to. It makes sense from a "Realism" standpoint that the Protesters would be armed prior (Agitators) to the trigger and the randomness that you dont know how many armed civilians you are actally going to be faced with when the event actually happens. Also the handgun approach makes more sense than a RPG suddenly appearing on the AI's back. I hope and assume the script is right, although I have not seen the protester draw a handgun as of yet.   

_x addEventHandler ["FiredNear", 
{
	_civ = _this select 0;
	_civ enableAI "ALL";
	_civ stop false;
	_civ switchMove "";
	if ((handgunWeapon _civ) isEqualTo "") then
	{
		[_civ] joinSilent createGroup sideEnemy;
		_group allowFleeing 0;
		_group setSkill ["courage", 1];
		_group reveal ["SoldierW", 3.75];
		_group addRating -10000;
		_group setBehaviour "COMBAT";
		_group setCombatMode "RED";

_group setFriend [west, 0];
		_group setFriend [civilian, 0];
	};
}];

This is where I am falling down and need to read and understand how the Event Handler process works, more importantly the  procedure to make civilians become hostile and attack when triggered. I am not sure if this is the right approach, but seems to at least be a feasable approach, I think.

Again thanks and comments welcome

Cheers

Greg 

Full script to date:

Spoiler

{
_x disableAI "PATH";
_x disableAI "MOVE";
_x stop true;

sleep 0.1;
_x disableAI "ANIM";
_x setFormDir 180;
_x setDir 180;

//Protest Chant

civGunChance = 0.5;  //Odds Civilian will be armed
civGuns = ["hgun_ACPC2_F","hgun_P07_F","hgun_P07_F","hgun_Rook40_F"];

if (random 1 < civGunChance) then
{
 _gun = selectRandom civGuns;
 _mag = selectRandom (getArray (configFile >> "CfgWeapons" >> _gun >> "magazines"));
 _x addMagazine _mag;
 _x addItemToUniform _gun;
};

{
 _civ = _this select 0;
 _civ enableAI "ALL";
 _civ stop false;
 _civ switchMove "";
 {
  _group allowFleeing 0;
  _group setSkill ["courage", 1];
  _group reveal ["SoldierW", 3.75];
  _group addRating -10000;
  _group setBehaviour "COMBAT";
  _group setCombatMode "RED";

_group setFriend [west, 0];
  _group setFriend [civilian, 0];
 };
}];
} forEach [ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4, ProtesterA_5, ProtesterA_6, ProtesterA_7, ProtesterA_8, ProtesterA_9, ProtesterA_10, ProtesterA_11, ProtesterA_12, ProtesterA_13, ProtesterA_14, ProtesterA_15, ProtesterA_16, ProtesterA_17, ProtesterA_18, ProtesterA_19, ProtesterA_20, ProtesterA_21, ProtesterA_22, ProtesterA_23, ProtesterA_24];

So I messed with this a bit more this evening and still no luck...

My latest attempt will be to create a unit, which I am struggling a bit wrapping it around my head.

{
	_civ = _this select 0;
	_weapon = selectRandom ["hgun_ACPC2_F", "hgun_P07_F", "hgun_P07_F", "", "hgun_Rook40_F"];
	_mag = selectRandom (getArray (configFile >> "CfgWeapons" >> _weapon >> "magazines"));
	_civ addMagazine _mag;
	_civ addWeapon _weapon;

//Release AI from Animation
	_civ enableAI "ALL";
	_civ stop false;
	_civ switchMove "";

//Make Enemy and Set Combat Mode
	{
		_unit allowFleeing 0;
		_unit reveal ["SoldierW", 3.75];
		_unit addRating -10000;
		_unit setBehaviour "COMBAT";
		_unit setCombatMode "RED";

//_group setFriend [west, 0];
			//_group setFriend [civilian, 0];
	};
}];

I really don't know if I am over thinking this or putting to much emphasis on _civ, but tomorrow is another day.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Greg

You have Apex? Sample mission here

http://www.azcoder.com/arma3/protest.Tanoa.zip

I'm using vanilla animations for test purposes only, the AI does switch around. Only 4 in the example so sometimes AI repeat them 2 or 3 times in a row. The more the better of course.

I will also post the script here. I put a macro at the start, just makes it easier to call that function more than once.

#define __RandomAnimation (["HubBriefing_lookAround1", "Acts_JetsOfficerSpilling", "acts_miller_knockout", "HubBriefing_pointAtTable"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom);

{
    _civ = _x;
    _civ setBehaviour "CARELESS";

sleep 0.1;
    _dirToFace = [_civ,player] call BIS_fnc_dirTo;
    _civ disableAI "ANIM";
    _civ setFormDir _dirToFace;
    _civ setDir _dirToFace;

_civ switchMove __RandomAnimation;

_animLoop = _civ addEventHandler ["AnimDone", {
        _civ = _this select 0;
    }];
    _civ setVariable [ "animLoop", _animLoop, true ];

_civ addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {
        _civ = _this select 0;
        _animLoop = _civ getVariable "animLoop";
        _civ removeEventHandler ["AnimDone",_animLoop];
        _civ enableAI "ALL";
        _civ stop false;
        _civ switchMove "";
        [_civ, _arm, 8] call BIS_fnc_addWeapon;
    }];

} forEach [ProtesterA, ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4];

Thank you AZCoder... I was on my way to bed when it seemed we posted at the same time. 

The animation loop works and looks good. I have modified the script a bit and seems that I have one last hurdle to overcome, which tomorrow is a new day. the script now seems to work to this point.

//Make Civilians Enemy
		if ((handgunWeapon _civ) isEqualTo true) then 
		{
			_civ addRating -10000;
			_civ allowFleeing 0;
			_civ setSkill ["courage", 1];
			_civ reveal [player, 3.75];
		};
	}];

I just started manipulating this, but am out of gas. The plan (now, after reading posts and gathering ideas) is to have any armed civilians become rogue and attack both Blufor and Civilians when the EH is triggered. The plan for the mission would be they players will have to eliminate the rogue mob while keeping civilian casualties to a minimum. throw in a couple suicide bombers and things could get interesting.  

Again thank you for the assistance and next time I am in Washington State I owe you a beer or six.

The latest full version of the script

#define __RandomAnimation (["UnaErcVelitelProslov4", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "shaftoe_c0briefing_otazky_loop6", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"] call BIS_fnc_selectRandom);
{
	_civ = _x;
	_civ setBehaviour "CARELESS";

// AI prevented to move or change behavior.
	_civ disableAI "PATH";
	_civ disableAI "MOVE";
	_civ stop true;

sleep 0.1;
	_dirToFace = [_civ, player] call BIS_fnc_dirTo;
	_civ disableAI "ANIM";
	_civ setFormDir _dirToFace;
	_civ setDir _dirToFace;

_animLoop = _civ addEventHandler ["AnimDone", 
	{
		_civ = _this select 0;
	}];
	_civ setVariable [ "animLoop", _animLoop, true ];

//Protest Chant

_civ addEventHandler ["FiredNear", 
	{
		_civ = _this select 0;

//Stop animation
		_animLoop = _civ getVariable "animLoop";
		_civ removeEventHandler ["AnimDone",_animLoop];

//Release AI from current state
		_civ enableAI "ALL";
		_civ stop false;
		_civ switchMove "";

//Randomize and add weapons
		_weapon = selectRandom ["hgun_ACPC2_F", "", "hgun_P07_F", "hgun_P07_F", "", "hgun_Rook40_F"];
		_civ addMagazine _mag;
		_civ addWeapon _weapon;

//Make Civilians Enemy
		{
			_civ addRating -10000;
			_civ allowFleeing 0;
		};
	}];

} forEach [ProtesterA_1, ProtesterA_2, ProtesterA_3, ProtesterA_4, ProtesterA_5];

Cheers

Greg

3 hours ago, swift39 said:

Thank you AZCoder... I was on my way to bed when it seemed we posted at the same time. 

The animation loop works and looks good. I have modified the script a bit and seems that I have one last hurdle to overcome, which tomorrow is a new day. the script now seems to work to this point.

//Make Civilians Enemy
		{
			_civ addRating -10000;
			_civ allowFleeing 0;
		};
	}];

I just started manipulating this, but am out of gas. The plan (now, after reading posts and gathering ideas) is to have any armed civilians become rogue and attack both Blufor and Civilians when the EH is triggered. The plan for the mission would be they players will have to eliminate the rogue mob while keeping civilian casualties to a minimum. throw in a couple suicide bombers and things could get interesting.  

Again thank you for the assistance and next time I am in Washington State I owe you a beer or six.

The latest full version of the script

Cheers

Greg

Few things,

sideEnemy will be hostile to everyone, even others from sideEnemy, civilian side will not get attacked by sideEnemy members.

Units placed as civilians in the editor will have a different combat FSM running than east/west/independent units, they're more likely to flee and don't tend to fight very well.

To handle multiple units that should do certain stuff on a randomized basis you can simply handle this with setVariable and flags.

Making every predetermined unit possibly pull out a firearm and turn hostile towards blufor can be done like this:

//unit init field:
this setVariable ["GOM_fnc_potentialArmedProtester",true,true];

This enables you to dynamically place as many units as you want, without having to type out the typical forEach [Protester1,...,ProtesterN] humbug.

Furthermore you can randomize the amount of actual armed aggressors depending on player count and other factors without having to do a single thing other than an initial setup in the appropriate .sqf file.

First things first, you want those civs to give a proper fight, so simply place some opfor basic rifleman units on the map and put the above setVariable snippet into the init field of the first unit. Simply copy+paste the unit to add more, the init field will be automatically filled as well.

Now we run into the problem that they're all geared, armed and will shoot everyone hostile to them on sight.

The loadout can simply be changed using setUnitLoadout/getUnitLoadout.

Basically two files are needed for something like this:

//init.sqf in mission root:

//inits the protesters sqf
_init = [] execVM "scripts\GOM\GOM_fnc_armedProtesters.sqf";//this initializes all functions within the .sqf file
waitUntil {scriptDone _init};
_initProtesters = [] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersInit;

_attack = [] spawn {

sleep 30;//delay or condition for the attack to happen
	[10] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack;//starts the attack with amount of attackers as param, defaults to 5 if no number is given

};

And another file named and placed in the appropriate folders "scripts\GOM\GOM_fnc_armedProtesters.sqf":

//file: scripts\GOM\GOM_fnc_armedProtesters.sqf
GOM_fnc_armedProtestersInit = {

_potentialProtesters = allUnits select {_x getVariable ["GOM_fnc_potentialArmedProtester",false]};

//grab all usable civilian classes, needed to randomize loadout in the forEach loop
	_rndCivClasses = ("getNumber (_x >> 'side') isEqualTo 3 AND configName _x isKindOf 'Man' AND getNumber (_x >> 'scope') >= 2" configClasses (configFile >> "CfgVehicles")) apply {configName _x};

{

//get direction of unit
		_dir = getDir _x;

//join civilian group
		_oldGroup = group _x;
		_newGroup = createGroup civilian;
		[_x] joinSilent _newGroup;
		deleteGroup _oldGroup;//keep things tidy
		_x setBehaviour "SAFE";

//get and set random loadout
		_rndLoadout = getUnitLoadout selectRandom _rndCivClasses;
		_x setUnitLoadout _rndLoadout;
		_x switchMove "";//to skip weapon holster animation after weapon removal
		_x doWatch (_x getRelPos [50,_dir]);//reset watch direction after group change

//dumb them down to stay put and allow random animations to be played
		_x disableAI "ALL";

//handle animation looping
		_anim = _x spawn {

sleep random 5;

while {alive _this AND behaviour _this == "SAFE"} do {

_rndAnimation = selectRandom ["UnaErcVelitelProslov4", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni1", "shaftoe_c0briefing_otazky_loop6", "c7a_bravo_dovadeni3"];

if (alive _this) then {_this switchMove _rndAnimation;};
				waitUntil {sleep 1;animationState _this != _rndAnimation OR behaviour _this != "SAFE" OR !alive _this};
				if (!alive _this) exitWith {false};

}
		};

} forEach _potentialProtesters;
	//done, always return boolean
	true
};

//improved BIS function by pedeathtrian
NEW_fnc_arrayShuffle = {
	_this = []+_this;

private _cnt = count _this;

for "_i" from 1 to _cnt do
	{
		_this pushBack (_this deleteAt floor random (_cnt + 1 - _i));
	};
	_this
};

GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack = {

params [["_amount",5]];

_potentialProtesters = allUnits select {_x getVariable ["GOM_fnc_potentialArmedProtester",false]};

_armedProtesters = _potentialProtesters call NEW_fnc_arrayShuffle;
	_armedProtesters resize _amount;

_potentialProtesters = _potentialProtesters - _armedProtesters;

_pistols = "getnumber (_x >> 'type') isEqualTo 2 AND getnumber (_x >> 'scope') isEqualTo 2" configClasses (configfile >> 'CfgWeapons') apply {configName _x};

_potentialProtesters apply {

_x enableAI "ALL";
		_x setBehaviour "AWARE";
		_x switchMove "";

};

_armedProtesters apply {

_x setVariable ["GOM_fnc_armedProtester",true,true];
		_x enableAI "ALL";
		_x setBehaviour "AWARE";
		_x switchMove "";

//arm them
		[_x,selectRandom _pistols,4] call BIS_fnc_addWeapon;

[_x] joinSilent createGroup east;
		//help AI to detect hostiles after group switch
		_unit = _x;
		{_unit reveal [_x,4]} forEach (_unit nearEntities ["CAManBase",150]);

//reveal the hostile protester to nearby AI
		{_x reveal [_unit,4]} forEach (_unit nearEntities ["CAManBase",150]);

};

true;

};

true;

Simply check out this small demo mission using indeedPetes Arma 2 animations as sole mod on Malden 2035 to see how such a system could work.

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow...

Thank You that is exactly what I was looking for (in my mind), though I would of never of thought of it. The randomization of everything is nothing short of awesome. 

Your demo mission worked flawlessly, of course, when placed into my mission I am getting a Undefined variable in expression _x

_armedProtesters apply {

_x setVariable ["GOM_fnc_armedProtester"...'

Undefined variable in expression _x

File C:..... line 88

Which has me a bit confused as I have not changed anything, but will sort it out. As this scenario is triggered by a player firing their weapon, would it be more efficient to have the addEventHandler in the init.sqf or the armedProtester,sqf? or create a trigger? 

Anyway, thanks you all and will post results as I sort them out. 

Cheers,

Greg

Again thanks and I think I have this working the way I envisioned it.

With regards to the Undefined variable, I have no clue... Was trying some recommended fixes, got the point of where I was forgetting what was tried and changed, Restarted Arma with a fresh copy of the sqf. and it went away. Don't know what to think about that.

To have the Protesters attack when fired near I put this in the init.sqf and it works

_init = [] execVM "scripts\GOM\GOM_fnc_armedProtesters.sqf";//this initializes all functions within the .sqf file

_attack = player addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {[10] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack; }];

changing GOM's 

From This

_attack = [] spawn {
	sleep 60;//delay or condition for the attack to happen
	[10] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack;//starts the attack with amount of attackers as param, defaults to 5 if no number is given
};

To This

_attack = player addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {[10] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack; }];

It seems to work, but was wondering if there was a better or preferred method when it comes to initiating this or is this method going to create issues later.

Thanks

Greg

6 hours ago, swift39 said:

Again thanks and I think I have this working the way I envisioned it.

With regards to the Undefined variable, I have no clue... Was trying some recommended fixes, got the point of where I was forgetting what was tried and changed, Restarted Arma with a fresh copy of the sqf. and it went away. Don't know what to think about that.

To have the Protesters attack when fired near I put this in the init.sqf and it works

changing GOM's 

From This

_attack = [] spawn {
	sleep 60;//delay or condition for the attack to happen
};

To This

It seems to work, but was wondering if there was a better or preferred method when it comes to initiating this or is this method going to create issues later.

Thanks

Greg

Your method will make the attack run everytime someone shoots next to the player, also when the player unit itself is firing.

You can remove an eventhandler from inside the eventhandlers executed code pretty comfortably:

_attack = player addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {

[10] spawn GOM_fnc_armedProtestersAttack;
	player removeEventHandler ["FiredNear",_thisEventHandler];

}];

This will remove the eventhandler once the EH triggers, making the attack function run only once.

Should work fine on SP.

Cheers

Thank You...

I am away with work for a couple days so will switch it over when I get home. When you say it should work fine in SP is that a typo or do I need to script different for MP?

Anyway thank you again everyone, I am enjoying the learning process and will post my results when I get home mid week.

Cheers

Greg