- ADVANCED AI (WIP) -

Hi guys,

I'm Goliath86 (I've worked on CorePatch for ArmA 2 and on the ArmA 2 Medevac Module). Today I'm here to inform you that I'm working on an experiment I've got in my mind for some time: I'm working on creating a script to improve the AI of this game. I know there are some many addons/mods that improve the AI but not in a manner that I want; I want that AI can use cover smarter behind every kind of object they find (based on the type of cover that they find). I want that AI can effectively use suppressive fire to advance and/or retreat instead of only firing toward the enemy without a tactic in mind. I want...some many things.

I think that today FPS games are lacking of smarter AI and I think this is because most games are particularly multiplayer oriented, where the AI is not so important. I've played hundreds of hours on multiplayer FPS games and I've not found the realism and tactics that I want, maybe because I was not so lucky to find the right players (I know that I can join some CLAN and I've done that but especially fot time reasons I could not stay there anymore). So my only option is to find a good singleplayer FPS with a good AI that react realistically and tactically. I've got ArmA 3, ArmA 2, ArmA and ArmA:CWC and I think that all of them are very good FPS singleplayer games but I want more from the AI. I've searched through dozen of AI addons but none of them had personally satisfied me. I needed some more. I started a simple FPS on a famous platform used by many people nowadays to create games and I've started scripting my AI routines but it was a "very hard" job and personally and unfortunately I don't have so many resources, so I've decided to return into the ArmA world where I can start with a solid base (already presents animations, scripting functions already implemented inside the game engine and so on).

I've decided to start with ArmA:CWC because it was my very first beloved videogame that spurred me to study computer science so I have a debt with it ;)

I'm working into this project without particular ambitions but with only a great passion into the realistic singleplayer FPS games world!

I've been working on this script for just over a week now and it goes on!

I will inform you on progresses on this script and maybe I will post some videos of my work.

Cheers,

Goliath

• Like 7

A little late to reply, but I wanna express support and say that I hope this comes out. From my experience from OFP to Arma 2 and even with mods, the ai definitely still has a lot to improve on.

I'm not dead :f: I'm continuously working on this project! Thanks all for your support

People might have assumed you were joking around. It wouldn't be the first time it's happened on the boards. :smile_o:

Could you tell us what are the features of your AI mod?

Like what tactics they use and ect.

Will this mod be a set of scripts or include a config.cpp or both for flexibility?

Some AI abilities, such as hearing, seeing and engaging from further than 300m, need to be modified using a custom config.cpp. Or will this mod focus on AI routines like taking cover etc.?

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, -Snafu- said:

Will this mod be a set of scripts or include a config.cpp or both for flexibility?

Some AI abilities, such as hearing, seeing and engaging from further than 300m, need to be modified using a custom config.cpp. Or will this mod focus on AI routines like taking cover etc.?

This mod will be a set of scripts. In the futture I will insert even a config.cpp for further engagements. This a little video demonstrating the 'search cover' script: in the video is possible to see how the AI react immediately to an unknown threat by searching for a cover based on bullet trajectory (if no target has been saw). When the AI reach a cover they try to suppress the probable position of the target. In the video, it is even possible to hear the positional bullet crack sound (scripted) near the player when he's suppressed. The scripts are WIP:

https://youtu.be/dkpLo7wQnh8

• Like 2

Does the other AI give other AI's covering fire while they move to cover like in my script?

Or just moving to cover no matter what

2 hours ago, prototype1479 said:

Does the other AI give other AI's covering fire while they move to cover like in my script?

Or just moving to cover no matter what

Now if the bot knows about the enemy some of them provide covering fire while others find cover. But if they do not know anything about the enemy and they only hear shoots near them, the first thing they do is to find cover and then try to predict the enemy position and provide covering fire.

• Like 1

I think he got scared on the fact that this game's scripting commands are horrid and can't be optimized easily without it being half-baked or having features taken off from it. I have done the same thing as he did also I can tell from years of scripting experience on this game + he really hasn't been online for a while.

Just in case if he came back, I got few things to say : What are the AI features you are going to add? And also if you got questions about the AI of this game and if you want on learning tricks on how to optimize your scripts in this game I'm always here you can ask me.

• Sad 1