I cannot seem to lock onto Targets with Laserguided Bombs anymore, can anyone help me with this? I am using the internal Laser of the Airplane, when i then try to lockonto my laser it does not work. Also at the top it says LOAL? Can anyone help me? Im probably just dumb.

18 minutes ago, Pinkie1997 said:

I cannot seem to lock onto Targets with Laserguided Bombs anymore, can anyone help me with this? I am using the internal Laser of the Airplane, when i then try to lockonto my laser it does not work. Also at the top it says LOAL? Can anyone help me? Im probably just dumb.

It is Lock On After Launch now. It locks onto the closest to its path laser spot when geting close to it.

You can no longer lock onto those targets manually.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

It is Lock On After Launch now. It locks onto the closest to its path laser spot when geting close to it.

You can no longer lock onto those targets manually.

kinda strange but i guess.... thanks, now ist working again:D (the hitting) thanks:D

7 hours ago, Pinkie1997 said:

kinda strange

May seem strange, but it's actually closer to real life this way. Laser Guided Bombs are dropped just like dumb bombs and follow a ballistic curve towards the ground.

A little before impact, the laser switches on and the bomb corrects its course to hit the laser. (This auto-lase feature is not simulated in ArmA, but is used in real life to not alert the enemy too early in case they have laser warning receivers. It also prevents bomb oscillation when trying to correct course, which improves bomb range).

But a lock feature would still be nice, because right now we have no way of knowing if the bomb can adjust its flight path enough to hit the target or not. This is particularly the case with a limited HUD like on the wipeout, where except in a steep dive, I can't even see the CCIP in relation to where the targeting camera/target/laser is.

I also wonder if they have updated the AI for the CAS support requests for LGBs... I presume that previously the plane would lock on the target, and that now they need it to perform its bombing run like when you call for an unguided bomb?

6 minutes ago, Ex3B said:

But a lock feature would still be nice, because right now we have no way of knowing if the bomb can adjust its flight path enough to hit the target or not. This is particularly the case with a limited HUD like on the wipeout, where except in a steep dive, I can't even see the CCIP in relation to where the targeting camera/target/laser is.

I also wonder if they have updated the AI for the CAS support requests for LGBs... I presume that previously the plane would lock on the target, and that now they need it to perform its bombing run like when you call for an unguided bomb?

Well that's more a problem with ArmA 3 not having built-in CCRP Continuously Calculated Release Point support. The previous "lockon" method was a workaround fix anyhow. 

There is a method you can "cheat" it, which is to lock the TGP view on your target, then fly towards the TGP HUD marker, once you are on course, look in the TGP view, and you will see a small CCIP hit indicator move across the screen from bottom to top. If you are flying on the correct course, you just release the bomb whenever the CCIP "pipper" aligns with it, then the bomb should have no problem finding the laser.

Also, I believe AI follow different rules, and may use lock-on before launch, even though players can't.

I found the LGBs surprisingly flexible in terms of the release point. You can drop them in the general vicinity, or when you're roughly over the target (assuming you're not flying very fast) and they'll hit.

Personally I prefer the old system of automatic guidance of bombs much easier to use, can be more arcade but more practical. We select a target on the ground, launch the bomb and it falls directly on the vehicle if it does not move (0Km / h). No need to bother to head on the same heading precisely where the camera's internal camera is used. I wonder if with the new system, qd the vehicle moves the bomb can follow?

5 hours ago, Marco Sanchez said:

I wonder if with the new system, qd the vehicle moves the bomb can follow?

As soon as the bomb is released, it will automatically attempt to track and home in on any(*) laser spot in it's field of view. If the laser spot moves, the bomb will attempt to follow. 

* I believe there are some caveats but I welcome anyone to correct me if I get this wrong. The bomb will not sense and track laser spots which are being lased by players/AI of an opposing side/faction (can AAF lase for a NATO bomb if they are considered friendly?). If there is more than one laser spot within the bomb's field of view, the bomb should track the laser spot which is closest to the CCIP at the point of release.

EDIT: Just did some testing using editor and ZGM. Turns out that although Blufor and Opfor can't see each other's laser spots, Blufor and Independant can see each other's laser spots regardless of if they are set as friendly or hostile which is strange.

3 hours ago, Marco Sanchez said:

Personally I prefer the old system of automatic guidance of bombs much easier to use, can be more arcade but more practical. We select a target on the ground, launch the bomb and it falls directly on the vehicle if it does not move (0Km / h). No need to bother to head on the same heading precisely where the camera's internal camera is used. I wonder if with the new system, qd the vehicle moves the bomb can follow?

Precious system meant that bombs would function as missiles... 

Made ground vehicles useless.

So yeah if you're a pilot, fun times, but if you were on the ground.... Not so fun times.

• Like 1

The 100 % realistic LGB simulation would probably over-complicate things for the average player.

The previous method peaked out in the opposite direction

It was too arcade'ish, too powerful and easy to exploit.

The current solution is a good compromise between realism and arcade, but the consequence seems to be that bombs follow any laser that is closest to the center of view, and meets certain faction criteria. Unfortunately, this means that there may exist conflicts between laser spots, so that the bomb could theoretically swap laser spots while enroute to the target, which is impossible IRL.

You need to lock the TGP on the target. It should show "POINT" as opposed to "AREA" and move with the target. The bomb will go where the laser is, so to hit a moving target you need to track it with the laser. You also might need to lead the target a bit when releasing bombs. It's only slightly harder than before.

I'm still having trouble hitting targets consistently. I usually bomb at about 400-500 km/h and at 2500-3000m altitude. I drop the GBU from about 4-5 km away but only hit my target at most half the time.

Maybe some pilots could offer their methods for bombing here. I can't seem to find a recent tutorial for bombing any where.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thank you.

the new method seems strange, but it will probably just take a while getting used to. for me, it seems that divebombing at low altitude offered the best results

8 hours ago, Pinkie1997 said:

the new method seems strange, but it will probably just take a while getting used to. for me, it seems that divebombing at low altitude offered the best results

I take it you don't use the targeting camera and laser?

If I have time tomorrow I'll do a quick vid.

But basically, using the targeting camera, lock the area or on the target so if he moves it tracks.  get the lead indicator( small little dotted cross used for manual drops)  as close to the lock as you can and release the bomb. You don't need a dive attack. I was using this with a drone on mp, hitting moving AAA from 2000m up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

If I have time tomorrow I'll do a quick vid.

But basically, using the targeting camera, lock the area or on the target so if he moves it tracks.  get the lead indicator( small little dotted cross used for manual drops)  as close to the lock as you can and release the bomb. You don't need a dive attack. I was using this with a drone on mp, hitting moving AAA from 2000m up. 

It was the lead indicator I was not using properly. Now I'm hitting all my targets.

Thank you, teabagginpeople.