Sign in to follow this  
princecharles

What controller? on a PC for a Helicopter

Hi, Newbie here
I'm using a PC, what do you guys recommend as the best way to control the helicopter, Mouse, Keyboard, joypad?

Or is it worth investing in a flight joystick?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi princecharles, if no one has said it yet, Welcome to Bis forums!

As for your question, best way to control a helicopter is 2 things imo, what are you used to start with that, and how interested in flying helicopters

are you where you would want to possibly expand into getting a flight stick that may be ideal for flying helicopters?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Hi princecharles, if no one has said it yet, Welcome to Bis forums!

As for your question, best way to control a helicopter is 2 things imo, what are you used to start with that, and how interested in flying helicopters

are you where you would want to possibly expand into getting a flight stick that may be ideal for flying helicopters?

Well up to now I've been using Keyboard and mouse, but to be honest its not that enjoyable.  I wanna experience the simulation properly, keyboard and mouse just doesn't do it.  Plus Its hard, but without it being "enjoyably difficult".  I don't mind spending the money, if it will enhance the experience.
These days I generally only play games like Far Cry, GTA , Arma 3 plus one or two others.  For some reason I seem to gravitate towards things that fly (which 51 year old ManBoy doesn't?) which is why I like the idea of learning to fly using something closer to proper controls.
I've played flight sims before and wouldn't  mind doing so again soon.
The controllers I've been looking at have been X52 and X56 HOTAS.......any thoughts? 

First, hi and welcome princecharles

I can certainly recommend the X52 as I used to have one and it was great.  Very smooth action and plenty of buttons to define. The X56 is very good too I'm sure.

I've since 'upgraded' to an X65F which is great for limited desk space as it doesn't move but does take some getting used to. (May be hard to find one now)

To be honest I think any joystick with throttle combo would work. (separate pedals for the full effect)

I recommend using the 'Advanced Flight Model' setting in difficulty parameters.

If you can afford it, I would also suggest to look at TrackIR for enhanced immersion.  It REALLY helps when flying helicopters and I use it with infantry as well.

On 26/03/2018 at 6:41 AM, princecharles said:

Hi, Newbie here
I'm using a PC, what do you guys recommend as the best way to control the helicopter, Mouse, Keyboard, joypad?

Or is it worth investing in a flight joystick?

Thanks

buy a X-Box controller, a HOTAS Joystick for arma... is way exaggerated, this game not DCS World

Hello

If you wanna fly professional i would prefer the x52 befor a joypad.

I own a thrustmaster warthog hotas and nearly every key is in use.

6 hours ago, maquez said:

... a HOTAS Joystick for arma... is way exaggerated, this game not DCS World

Then you're doing it wrong :D

Seriously, having a joystick with twist for yaw or separate pedals will allow you to perform moves you can't do with any other controller.

The Advanced flight model in ArmA III might not be as sophisticated as in DCS, bt iit is not easier to control. Also you wil be happy about every button at hand. I use a full Saitek HOTAS with flight pedals and there is no button or slider function unused.

Especially when you have the chance to fly a long (+15min) mission, which can happen when you manage to not get shot down, other methods of control are uncomfortable.

For standard FM, no you dont need that, but a joystick with rudder axis still is helpfull.A joystick can also help a lot for Planes and wheeled vehicles when set up right. (response Curves)

• Like 1