william516

360 degree formation for security ??

So one thing that has bothered me from the beginning of the ARMA series was the lack of commands for firefight formations or simple combat drills.  For anyone that is in the service and has served will understand what I am saying, and for those that are not I will try and explain it.

One of the biggest gripes and hopefully one I would like to solve is a formation for security.  Say for example a medevac helicopter is inbound to your location and you need to pull security.  In a real world mission the soldiers would take a 360 degree formation of protection.  A basic circle that keeps all sectors covered.  This also allows the team leaders, squad leaders a chance to check on their solders.  During this check a we look for casualties and find out status of ammo, equipment and mission important data.  To do this in the game requires that the leader point to each and every spot he wants a soldier to go to.  Real life this is NOT needed, each soldier knows his job and adjust as needed to provide that layer of security.

Was wondering if anyone knew a way to get a formation like this?

Example 

player gets to location with a squad of ten soldiers.

player needs to secure a site after a engagement.

Player can go to the radio menu and choose "360 Security" (or something easy to identify to click on)

With that an order will be issued that all AI controlled soldiers will move out and away for the location that the player is and set up a 360 degree area of protection, each looking out in the correct compass direction and remain facing that way, the AI would be in kneeling or prone position as well. 

(Not sure if this is possible or not but have an adjustable range or diameter of the circle, also AI troops would use common sense and find cover while still trying to obtain 360 security)

All AI would stay put and not move unless engaged or directed by player to rejoin formation.  

This allows the player to check all soldiers or simulate.  

(In the real world a team would be designated as aid and litter (would provide aid to enemy and friendly casualties) the other team would be EPW (collect and secure enemy prisoners and weapons etc)) 

Another thing is simple battle drills

Player gets in a firefight or engagement

player uses the radio menu to order a battle drill formation

Clicking on the specific battledrill will execute that.

If the player has designated teams example (red, yellow, blue...etc) the battle drill would execute a script that would allow something like this........

Start of mission 

Player designates 3 members of the squad (team blue)

Player designates 4 members of the squad (team red)

player gets into an engagement and becomes pinned down (Team blue under fire by opfor)

Player uses radio menu to select battle drill 1A 

Script or some other means executes this based on what team the player wants to move.

Team Red breaks contact and moves to a flanking maneuver position on the opfor firing position 

Team blue continues a suppressive fire on the enemy while team red gets to flank position.

Team blue continues fire and shifts and then lifts fire while Team red assaults from the flank.

Team blue moves up and clears objective after team red has gone through.

After all this is completed and the enemy has been killed or surrendered the 360 security is set up.

Not sure if anything like this exist already but it would be great if it was a possible.  It would allow the player the opportunity to issue commands that real soldiers would understand.  It would not require the player to micromanage the team.  It is not realistic at all to tell each soldier exactly where to go and what to do.  

Now the AI in Arma3 is leaps and bounds over ARMA and ARMA2, but these items would really help to push reality of the battlefield.

Hope someone can help with this or point me in the correct direction.

Bill

@das attorney created All Round Defense for Arma 2, not sure if he ever ported it to A3 or if it would work out of the box (unlikely).

Forum topic here:  

All Round Defense on Armaholic: 

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12815

Keep in mind that topic is long dead, so best to keep the discussion here.

AI is sort of a legacy feature from old arma games. formations havent been worked on in over a decade, and i dont think we can add more. ill kick around with cfgformations but pretty sure part of it is hardcoded