CptAwe

[WIP] Mons 1914 Terrain

Hi all,

I'm pleased to present my first ever attempt at making a terrain - Mons 1914. 

History and context

This map is set in the early stages of the First World War, and is very loosely based around the skirmishes and battle that took place around Mons in August 1914. To an extent, it's also suitable for use as a 1940 Belgian style map. 

The terrain was randomly generated and first, and then re-shaped manually. Because the map is set in August 1914, during the relatively mobile Battle of the Frontiers, that means there are only a few basic trenchworks and earthworks around, meaning the map is adaptable for any kind of setting.

Features

The map is fairly small and compact (only 2x2km!) so is suited to small-scale infantry skirmishes. 

Thus far, there are 3 towns as well as various farms and trench works across the map. There are a few rivers, each which have destructible bridges across them. Most of the map is covered by Forest or Farmland. 

This is my first attempt at constructing a terrain, so much of the map needs tidying up to perfect it, especially the placement of the trenches.

Requirments

The mods that I've used in the construction of the map, and that will be required are as followed: 

• CUP Terrains
  • IFA3 Lite (Almost all of the buildings come from this mod)
  • Apex DLC 
  • WW1 Remebrance Mod - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631253295 (Thanks to Felix for allowing me to use the trench assets from this mod)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Release

I'm hoping to have the map finished and uploaded to the Steam Workshop in the next few weeks, by which point the map should be polished. I'll also likely upload a sample mission pack for the map. 

Here are a few screenshots, but everything is still subject to change.

The units seen are an amalgamation of units from the WW1 Remebrance mod and Faces of War mod.

iehzGst.jpgj5e1AZR.jpgCjuNfK7.jpg8No5yaj.jpgmVH8mMI.jpgBldUqYN.jpgB1aX3mw.jpgBiGU7Hk.jpgRdQWCvL.jpgN6js83q.jpgb5YDkI1.jpgLJPxjYm.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Looking good so far. Will you do something to break up the green grass texture? The picture with the windmill is a good example of how the terrain would benefit from having different groud textures to avoid the 'green sea' syndrome.

On 22/03/2018 at 2:55 PM, Bitesrad said:

Looking good so far. Will you do something to break up the green grass texture? The picture with the windmill is a good example of how the terrain would benefit from having different groud textures to avoid the 'green sea' syndrome.

Quite right, i've just finished allocating most of the forests so i'm aiming to diversify the ground textures quite a bit.

So far I've added forest and muddy field ground textures, and tested them in a few areas. But the clutter still needs allot of work, and I still have to adapt the satellite image before the map is ready.

• Like 2

I've worked on the map a bit more, so I've now uploaded a quick preview video to showcase some areas in the map . Although, everything seen is still subject to change, and some areas of the map seen have already been tweaked.

Most of the gameplay was taken in simple scenarios put together in a few seconds in the editor, including silencing a machine gun with a field gun, a bombardment in the trenches and a few skirmishes.  The WW1 and IFA3 mods were used, as well as Enhanced Movement, which is brilliant for manoeuvring the trench systems. 

More recently, I've taken some updated screenshots of the map.  You'll see a few of the newly textured areas in the map, but i am aware the clutter and satellite image still needs perfecting. 

xgLvci0.jpgZkYDja7.jpgFDcgZfq.jpgIWiBNSD.jpgGkhnRw7.jpgtU6R4ul.jpgKacOxZz.jpg5UdSCNA.jpg7N3ZIct.jpgP5LGZac.jpgji9U3RR.jpg3YRaud0.jpgwof2qqV.jpg

Any further feedback would be much appreciated. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Hello there CptAwe!

This is a very nice work !

Congratulations and KEEP UP!

• Thanks 2

Looking fantastic keep it up !! 

• Thanks 1

First version has now been uploaded to the steam workshop:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1358612201

Still in the early stages of developing and refining the map, textures and satellite image are the biggest issue at the moment, and the trenches are quite primitive, but the map should be playable for the most part. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lsk323941 said:

why cant I download the mod?

The mod has been set to hidden whilst I'm updating it and refining it, but I've got a new terrain coming out in a few days.

If you want I can PM you the Mons Terrain because I'd welcome any feedback.

• Like 1

So is there an eta on when this will be downloadable again? Not to pester you, i just think this is a really unique terrain idea and i really want to use this map soon