Jdogcrane

Arma 3 is Freezing my whole computer or restarts

My computer Freezes or restarts after 1min-1hr of playtime in Arma 3 using no Mods.

I play on HostileTakeover.co -King Of The Hill - US #2 - Infantry.

I'm not sure if it does it only for this server or not, but I have hosted a server using port forwarding and was able to play for +2hrs without crashing with my friends.

My system specs: https://pastebin.com/vHictppN

RPT crash report: https://pastebin.com/qHYUi5ng

One more RPT log: https://pastebin.com/Qq7brEci

Paramaters:

unknown.png

unknown.png

I want you to try this for me.

With your computer running @ the win 10 desktop, slap the side of the case with the back of your hand kinda hard.

If your PC reboots then your motherboard needs to be replaced.  

It could be overheating.  Try monitoring your CPU temps with Intel Extreme Tuning utility.  make sure your temps aren't running high.  Use the utility to run a benchmark test and see if it reboots while running the program.

Could be as simple as a bad motherboard or you may need to add a really good CPU thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink.

Scott Out!

• Haha 1

Hmm. All my temps seem to be fine. Never getting above 70C with the CPU. GPU never got above 83C. The computer is custom built. My buddies and I put it together. The GPU card came with a loose fan wire, but with a little tweaking, I managed to fix it.

I slapped my computer(Kinda hurt my hand), although I laughed at the thought of it at first, I thought might as well. Nothing happened and the computer continued to run fine.

Ran a stress test for both CPU and GPU. They both performed perfectly. Temps were fine.

My CPU is liquid cooled and I used the paste that came pre-applied.

I haven't updated the driver for the liquid cooler, but I don't think that's a big deal.

One more thing to add...

Arma is the only game I have had particular issue happen on, but... on other games after a bit of play, my fps might drop by a solid 20 frames or so and then remain at that point from then on.

Restarting my computer fixes the fps drop issue, but then comes back after a bit more of playtime. And repeat.

Never getting above 70C with the CPU. GPU never got above 83C

..that's good to know.

sound like a Ram/swapfile/leak type issue.

you've tested with "no" mods?

you've confirmed game cache?

you've removed one stick of Ram at a time and tested?

you've disabled indexing on your C drive? not only "C" (assuming this is your Arma drive), but also any other drives that contain mods?

you've disabled a possible crappy anti-virus just for testing?

Here is a link that I recommend you take a look at. I know it's a bit daunting but you don't need to think that it all applies to you but!, Arma is very similar in the way flight simulator behaves, so there is a ton of info that can be of use. Some of it is directed to PC's and some toward the game itself. I know it will help unless your PC is simply broken somewhere.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

good luck

• Thanks 1

-I have tested with no mods.

-I have confirmed game cache.

-I'm going to try the ram thing right now.

-And I have my Arma and all mods stored on D drive. that is a hybrid Hardrive.

-I have stock windows defender. Nothing more or any kind of bundleware.

I'll get back too you with the results. :)

Strange...

Are you overclocking either your CPU or GPU or both?

Even if you are not overclocking, I would uninstall A3 and reinstall the game and all mods.

Not quite sure why you are getting an FPS drop in all games though.  

In my mind, it seems like it would be temperature related or caused by a heat damaged CPU or GPU.

Truthfully, problems like this are very hard to diagnose.

Scott

• Like 1

I have just Factory reset my computer. So I am reinstalling Arma 3 right now. Gonna try that ram thing. I got two sticks of 8gb ddr4 ram.

Currently running GPU and CPU at stock settings. Nothing modified.

Might be a bit before I try each slot with both Ram Sticks individually placed. and run at least 15min sessions before it freezes or restarts. Might be a lengthy diagnosis. But I will let you know if anything changes.

Thanks for the quick help so far. :)

1 hour ago, Jdogcrane said:

Currently running GPU and CPU at stock settings. Nothing modified.

With CPU running in stock settings and liquid cooling, 70C in Arma it is too much ... the same applies to the GPU 83C is really too high temp. I think there's something wrong with the way you built it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jdogcrane said:

One more thing to add...

Arma is the only game I have had particular issue happen on, but... on other games after a bit of play, my fps might drop by a solid 20 frames or so and then remain at that point from then on.

Restarting my computer fixes the fps drop issue, but then comes back after a bit more of playtime. And repeat.

The answer to this is NVIDIA dynamic overclocking mechanism - GPU Boost 3.0

clock_vs_temp.jpg

While NVIDIA doesn’t publish this information directly, the GTX 1080 Ti’s preset thermal throttle point is 84C, which is a degree or two higher than on NVIDIA’s previous cards

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vafana said:

With CPU running in stock settings and liquid cooling, 70C in Arma it is too much ... the same applies to the GPU 83C is really too high temp. I think there's something wrong with the way you built it.

Let me clarify. My CPU reaches 70c max with a stress test. Not just running arma. Same thing with my GPU. With a stress test, it hits a max of 83c. with fans on auto. From what I have looked up, that seems about normal. Maybe a little hotter than most for my CPU. But my CPU is rated past 90c. So I don't see how that's the issue.

Sources:

Gpu temps: 85972.png

CPU temps:18.jpg

7 hours ago, Horus said:

The answer to this is NVIDIA dynamic overclocking mechanism - GPU Boost 3.0

clock_vs_temp.jpg

So in order for me to get the most out of my GPU, I need to have it well cooled? That makes sense. So until it gets well cooled it actually underperforms products that are "less powerful" because it's not cool enough to run at its full potential. Is that what I'm seeing? Also, is this completely unrelated to Arma freezing/restarting my computer? Or could it be part of the issue?

If so, what can I do to get it cooler? Add more fans?

Thanks for going beyond helping me fix Arma! (:

3 hours ago, Jdogcrane said:

So in order for me to get the most out of my GPU, I need to have it well cooled?

Yes

• Like 2

With  a 1080ti, I wouldn't worry about overclocking at least for Arma. You not see any "noticeable" increase in performance.

You might also consider disabling HT in bios. Your CPU will run a tad cooler,....unless you need it for other applications. Create a couple of profiles to easily switch.

I realize this still doesn't address the freezing issue but it might be of some help otherwise.

• Like 2

Update:

After the factory reset, everything is running fine now.

Not sure what it was exactly. But it is fixed.

Thanks, to everyone that helped me!

• Like 1

Glad you got it!

Happy gaming :)

Scott Out!

• Like 2

I am having the same problem, i updated to Windows 10 and now it crashes my PC, makes it restart but not a full restart like if it was over heating. But before this Arma 3 ran just fine, when i had Windows 8.1. Now the game crashes my PC, and i don't know why.

Screenshot With Lightshot

When I start it the 1st time, I get that, but the next time I start it, it restarts my PC.

My Discord Server. Look For ChillyViking, that's me.

Oh, and PlanetSide 2 does the same thing now as well, work just fine on Windows 8.1. And i re-downloaded both games and still the same thing.

Are you guys actually monitoring your temperatures before all the stuff happens?

If you just update from Win8 to win10 that is probably your problem... format C: then clean install Win10 and see if you will have that problem again.

• Like 1