I.Gash

Server won't let players join when RHS is enabled

Hello,

I'm troubleshooting a rather weird issue right now.

Key data:

Dedicated Linux Server, Debian 8

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 8 cores

64 GB Ram

SSD Storage, EXT4 Filesystem

Mods:
Arma 3: ALiVE
3CB: BAF Weapons
3CB: BAF Vehicles
3CB: BAF Units
3CB: BAF Equipment
MCC Sandbox
RHS Ace Compat AFRF
RHS Ace Compat USAF
RHS: United States Forces
RHS: Armed Forces of the Russian Federation
CUP Vehicles ACE Compatibility 1.10.1
CUP Weapons ACE Compatibility 1.10.1
CUP Vehicles 1.10.0
CUP Units 1.10.0
CUP Weapons 1.10.0
CUP Terrains - Maps 1.4.2
CUP Terrains - Core 1.4.2
Task Force Arrowhead Radio 0.9.12
Advanced Combat Environment Extras 3.3.0
Advanced Combat Environment 3.12.1
Community Base Addons v3.6.1

Map/Mission:

Server is starting without a map/mission preloaded, into the Creation menu.

Issue:

- When a player tries to join the server he sees the initial loading screen:

F5gLQap.jpg

This will go on indefinetely and can only be canceled with escaping.

The last few messages of the RPT are

15:01:11 Connected to Steam servers
Arma 3 Console version 1.80.143869 x86 : port 2302
15:01:25 Boolean uses modified data file
15:01:25 BattlEye Server: Player #0 <snip> (ip.ip.ip.ip:54808) connected
15:01:25 Player <snip> connecting.
15:01:26 BattlEye Server: Connected to BE Master
15:04:03 BEServer::finishDestroyPlayer(804531795): users.get failed <- This message appears after the user escaped to return to the server browser.

Full RPT on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/3E3PBtw7

- At this point the Server seems to "freeze". If the player or another player tries to connect to the server he will get a message "Connecting failed." and be returned to the Server Browser. The Server RPT does not continue to show anything since the last "BEServer::finishDestroyPlayer" message.

- I have tried to load the Server and mods in 4 different ways:

LGSM, same result

Dahlgren Launcher, same result

Seelenlos Script, same result

All manual, same result

- I have tried downloading the Mods in 5 different ways:

Dahlgren Launcher, same result

Seelenlos Script, same result

Marceldev's python script, same result

Manually downloading them over steamcmd.sh both all at the same time and one-by-one, same result

Manually uploading them with SCP, same result

- I made sure the folders and files are all lower-case.

Now the main thing:

This issue only occurs when trying to load RHS in conjunction with CUP. When RHS is loaded without CUP the server starts fine. If CUP is loaded without RHS the server also starts fine. The problem only occurs when both are being loaded.

From what I know RHS and CUP should not have any discrepencies that won't allow them to be both used at the same time. They add some of the same named Weapons to the game but should, other than that, not cause the aforementioned issue.

Has anyone expirienced something like this? Any tips on how I could resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

afaik the linux server binary got a problem with mods if count > x (13 if i remember correctly), you are also missing the startup parameters.

also linux dedicated doesn't support > 2gb ram (no x64 till now)

with this kind of hw i would setup a vm and run the arma server inside it.

4 hours ago, yxman said:

afaik the linux server binary got a problem with mods if count > x (13 if i remember correctly), you are also missing the startup parameters.

also linux dedicated doesn't support > 2gb ram (no x64 till now)

with this kind of hw i would setup a vm and run the arma server inside it.

Thanks for your answer.

32 bit binaries should still support up to 4 GB right? And didn't they add 64bit support with 1.80? At least that's what I gather from the changelogs.

I was thinking about a VM. Should be no issue to install a windows VM with KVM. But what about perfomance? Sure I can dedicate 6 cores to it and give it around 32 GB of ram but it's still just virtualized hardware. Have you had expirience with arma servers running on a VM?

Launch parameters:

sudo -u a3lnch /srv/arma3/a3srv1/arma3server -filepatching -config=/srv/arma3/a3srv1/cfg/a3srv1.cfg -cfg=/srv/arma3/a3srv1/cfg/basic.cfg -port=2302 -name=a3grp -nosound -nosplash -world=empty -mod=_mods/@cbaa3;/_mods/@ace;/_mods/@acex;/[...] + all the other mods.

Those ones were made by the seelenlos script. I have, however, tried by hand, with LGSM and with the dahlgren web interface as stated before. They all yielded the same result.

I have the exact same problem with the dedicated server (using ArchLinux) "hanging" on the loading screen when the server is using only CUP Terrains Core and Iron Front mods. Thus IMHO this is NOT the case of having too many mods enabled for the server.

So far I've been able to narrow this infinite loading screen problem down to these three factors: CUP Terrains Core with Iron Front and BattlEye enabled for the server in the server.cfg file.

If the server is using only CUP Terrains Core and has BattlEye enabled the server loads to the mission selection screen as it should. Just not when I also add Iron Front in the mix.

I.Gash, could you confirm that disabling BattlEye for your server in the server.cfg (with BattlEye = 0;) makes the server load correctly (upon player join)?

If it does load then the issue has to be either with CUP or BattlEye. But how to actually tell with which?

That would be weird. I'm currently not home but I'll test starting the server with battleeye deactivated once I'm home.

On 17/03/2018 at 11:37 AM, I.Gash said:

That would be weird. I'm currently not home but I'll test starting the server with battleeye deactivated once I'm home.

I was able to repoduce Asmodeuz's result by deactivating BE on the server. It now loads all mods correctly. Do we know if this is fixable?

1 hour ago, I.Gash said:

I was able to repoduce Asmodeuz's result by deactivating BE on the server. It now loads all mods correctly. Do we know if this is fixable?

I've been searching for an answer already from last year's November/December and to this day I've felt that I'm the only one that even has stumbled upon this issue. It's good to know that I'm not.
But while I've been asking around I haven't found any answer how to fix this.

For one we'd need to figure out what it is that triggers this behaviour with CUP + some other mods and BattlEye.
Mind you this same problem does not happen on a Windows based dedicated server, this I can confirm myself having hosted one only some month ago. And if it did I'd take a guess the outcry would be heard quite fast.

On 16.11.2018 at 12:41 AM, Dedmen said:

It might be that you don't have enough file handles to open all the files.

Battleye opens additional files which might push you over the soft/hardlimit

See

https://serverfault.com/questions/20387/too-many-open-files-on-debian

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files/

Can't say that it made much of a difference. But it was definitely worth a shot.

I'd just like to chime in here and say CentOS 7 64 bit, CUPS terrain core and that's it. Same problems as you guys have been having, hanging just before selection screen in a mission. I tried the limits but it didn't change anything. Couldn't find anything anywhere with the same problems except on this thread. Is this all of the linux arma servers with CUPS? I had a similar issue just loading RHS. idk what on earth is going on, logs are all blank on this issue.
I can confirm turning off BE on the server "fixed" it. But this isn't the best fix ever.. has anybody raised a ticket? Do we need to upvote something? :)

Having the same problem. Still no fix?

It seems BIS fixed this issue after last update (1.94). RHS and CUP_Terrains runs on our Linux dedicated server and players are able to join and play again.

On 4/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, gigglebok said:

I can confirm turning off BE on the server "fixed" it

Yes it's a known bug with BE.
I always run RHS/CUP on my server, never had any problems.

16 hours ago, krzychu said:

It seems BIS fixed this issue after last update (1.94). RHS and CUP_Terrains runs on our Linux dedicated server

WITH battleye?

On 7/31/2019 at 10:06 AM, Dedmen said:

WITH battleye?

Yes, with battleye on.