pognivet

How to use Say3D and have it be heard clearly while inside of a vehicle

I think music and other sounds add a lot of ambiance to certain types of missions and increase immersion. Right now I'm trying to make a mission based on the Second Battle of Fallujah and I want players using a 5t logistics truck to be able to listen to music from that era such as death metal or hip hop while driving down the highway. Using Say3D is the only way I know how to make this happen, but as everyone knows you're essentially deaf to any Say3D audio while inside of a vehicle.

As it's set up currently there's a radio object that's attached to the dashboard using attachTo and the sound plays from the radio and not the truck. The truck has addactions on it that you can only use when inside the cab. These let you select "Death Metal", "Rap" and "Shut Off Radio" although the latter doesn't work right now because I can't figure it out (Tried setdamage 1 on the radio and it wouldn't shut off). I thought that placing the radio inside the truck and playing audio from that instead of playing it from the truck itself would fix the issue as this solution worked for me when developing a Vietnam mission a few years ago that needed helicopter music and it also worked in Arma 2 for a Cold War mission set in Germany, but this time it made no difference. The sound can clearly be heard outside of the truck, but once inside the cab its below a whisper even at x45 volume.

Any assistance with resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated by both me and thousands of others googling the same thing along with the virtual troops in desperate need of a morale boost. Thank you.

You could try to increase the volume of sounds in the description.ext where you include your sounds to make it easier to hear inside of vehicles.

Example

class mysound1
    {
        name = "mysound1";
        sound[] = {"\sound\mysound1.ogg", db+30, 1};
        titles[] = {};
    };

42 minutes ago, greenpeacekiller said:

You could try to increase the volume of sounds in the description.ext where you include your sounds to make it easier to hear inside of vehicles.

Example

unfortunately thats the first thing i tried. it had little to no effect on someone inside of a vehicle, but made it absolutely deafening to anyone outside of it.

I've dealt a lot with this sort of thing. I noticed sometime last year that they weakened the say commands and I had to redo the sound in my missions because I could no longer hear half the dialog. The best command I found for a good solid consistent sound is playsound3D (works with music). However, it does not move, so it won't work in a moving vehicle. The other option is CfgSFX. Define your music in a CfgSFX class, after which you could create a trigger and it will show up under Effects (I think that's the one), or you can manually create a trigger in script. Then you can "triggerName attachTo vehicleName". If you want to shut it off, in the past I have simply setPos [0,0,0] on the trigger.

All that being said, sound is finicky in the game, and no guarantee it will consistently work between 1st and 3rd person views. It was pretty consistent in Arma 2, but not in 3.

I'm currently using customRadio for nearly all dialogue because it comes in loud and clear.  Eventhough guys in the same vehicle probably wouldn't use the radio, I said fu** it and use customRadio.  Then it doesn't matter if you're in first person in vehicle or 3rd person outside of vehicle, you still hear the conversation.  For me it wasn't worth fighting say3d...

That's good info on customRadio, does it work with music? That's the OP question. I stopped using say3D and use kbTell for dialog, but don't think it would work with music.

Its probably not good for music, as it gives the little begin and end radio squelch sound.

I know this is an old thread, but still for those seeking an answer.
I found this post dating from 2013.

playSound ["SoundName", true];

Works as a charm, both 1st person as 3rd person hear the music equally fine!

17 hours ago, Moaneneld said:

I know this is an old thread, but still for those seeking an answer.
I found this post dating from 2013.

playSound ["SoundName", true];

Works as a charm, both 1st person as 3rd person hear the music equally fine!

How is this relevant? The question was about 3D sound, playSound is not 3D. Also makes no difference if you channel it through radio or not for 1st 3rd person, unless of course your sound volume is turned down and only radio is up