Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Finally some competition for ofp ?

Soeldner has some nice features and graphics, but I guess it will be much too arcadey. sad.gif

Ok, OFP isn`t 100% simulation in all aspects, but it happened due to playability - but I would like to see one or two more difficulty levels under cadet... (not a problem in Coop, but in SP).

And here are two screenshots of the Soeldner engine with WW2 content:

http://panzer.jowood.de/released_crew.jpg

http://panzer.jowood.de/released_tank.jpg

http://208.55.221.133/cgi-loc....=000189

One thing I will say about these guys is they have listened to what people are saying. It was originally going to be a 3rd person perspective game.....but so many people spoke up about this they've changed it to 1st person smile.gif Happy happy happy! Joy joy joy!

And as for the whole OFP vs Soldner thing? Hell, I've got room for both! wink.gif

Looks pretty lame to me

It looks more like the cartoony BF1942 shit graphics than the gritty realism of OFP. OFP is about the only game I've played where teh environments seem realistic and properly scaled, such that you feel like you're actually on a mountain as opposed to a bump in a 3d landscape ala 1942/most other outdoor games

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (animalica @ Dec. 29 2002,23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://panzer.jowood.de/released_crew.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

No muzzle flash? Just empty casings flying around? I dunno...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 15 2003,04:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (animalica @ Dec. 29 2002,23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://panzer.jowood.de/released_crew.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

No muzzle flash?  Just empty casings flying around?  I dunno...<span id='postcolor'>

They just put those pictures together as a side project- it isn't a real game or anything. The dev team just did it for fun to see how their engine would look in WWII.

I've seen pictures of the M4 ingame as well as US armor. They have a nice list of Russian and Chi-com vehicles.

Im glad they added 1st person. Now they need to add weapon view like AA. There will be modding utitilies downloadable fromt their website after release.

I hope vehicles have 1st person and reticle views too. As well as Commander, Driver, Gunner, and loader.

I say this game looks promising. The multiplayer may be better then OFP. BIS really needs to release Independance Lost when Soldner is released.-if not before

I'd like to be able to play with the ground to make fortifications. Trenches, bunkers, booby traps (THAT would be neat!wink.gif. I think my imagination circles planet tangent at about 10:30pm tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 15 2003,05:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd like to be able to play with the ground to make fortifications.  Trenches, bunkers, booby traps (THAT would be neat!wink.gif.  I think my imagination circles planet tangent at about 10:30pm tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

go ahead. dig your own grave. wink.gif I'll direct all artillery to your customized grave tounge.gif

Come to think of it, a digging option ingame would be great. You could build your own Maginot line smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 11 2002,15:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no first person view = crappy game

at least IMO

if i want to play an arcade game I'd go to the arcade -_-<span id='postcolor'>

http://soldner.jowood.com/images/screenshots/25.jpg

What about snipers? Are there sniper rifles in the game? Any screenshots of them?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Mar. 15 2003,17:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about snipers?  Are there sniper rifles in the game?  Any screenshots of them?<span id='postcolor'>

I think the answer to this is "duh"

I mean, name a tactical combat game in the last 4 years that hasn't had a sniper rifle

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 11 2002,15wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no first person view = crappy game

at least IMO

if i want to play an arcade game I'd go to the arcade -_-<span id='postcolor'>

http://soldner.jowood.com/images/screenshots/25.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I said that about 4 months ago.

Hopefully they fix the crosshairs.

That would be bad as hell if you hit the buildings with tanks and it just knocks them over and they get riped to splinters.

Like in OFP? wow.gif

LOL, that always bugged me how the buildings just crumbled and smoked.

Soldner has technology (specifically the Advanced Destruction System) which I hope will be implemented into OFP 2.

Imagine if when you hit a house with a HE shell it actually crumbled instead of deflating.

I think as time goes on it will be rare to see a game of this type that doesn't have all destructable objects and living terrain (trees moving in wind etc). Or at least a game that wants to sell more than 50 copies tounge.gif These are are becoming essentials IMHO because they increase the immersion factor of a game...it's not just general prettiness. Remember FPS games when they didn't have locational damage? Now there's no way you would release a game without it....

The problem is where you strike that balance of having large islands/maps as well as all the nice tarty stuff like moving grass/trees/bushes, properly destructable map items, and such like, personally I much prefer the large islands but I think perhaps we're getting to the point where hardware will allow the supporting of both, one thing I really look forward to is properly simulated masonry, in a sense that you're sheltering in a building during a firefight and all the rounds that miss you and hit the building are knocking out chunks of masonry until the point where the building is unable to remain standing, the sights and sounds of that could be amazing smile.gif

I'd like to know how those soldiers keep their uniforms so clean and pressed in the field? They must have a laundry truck in the game tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Mar. 17 2003,00:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd like to know how those soldiers keep their uniforms so clean and pressed in the field?  They must have a laundry truck in the game tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

One of the items you can carry is a mini-washing machine with built in super fast dryer. Duck beheind a tree, strip down, put your uniform in and *tada* your ready for a photoshoot. Also avaliabe are automatic boot polishing kits and automatic gun cleaning kits smile.gif

On the subject on ADS (Advanced Destruction System) I hope Operation Flashpoint 2 has a better one than what Soldner appears to have. To me from what screenshots I have seen, the shell craters look more like a sharp dip in the map rather than a shell crater.

Did anyone here ever play Red Faction? The specs on that game engine and its totally deformable environment were quite impressive, but when I tried a demo before the game was released, it was a big disappointment.

I'm just curious how much of a deformable environment was actually implemented in the released version of the game. That's the kind of feature I'd like to see in OFP2.