15 hours ago, Malcain said:

Brilliant!
How will the ruins handle sunlight during the day? Since the entry and exit is scripted, I think it's possible to set them up in a way to be dark inside even during the day (SetApertureNew command comes to mind).

setaperture or setaperturenew seems indeed to be the only mp compatible solution, saw a screenshot with setaperture 5000. 2000-3000 will probably do the job too. could not test yet tho. also i wonder how it would react to flares, fires snd other artificial light sources

Just now, Vandeanson said:

setaperture or setaperturenew seems indeed to be the only mp compatible solution, saw a screenshot with setaperture 5000. 2000-3000 will probably do the job too. could not test yet tho. also i wonder how it would react to flares, fires snd other artificial light sources

It will make the light dim and even to extent of lights becoming completely unreliable. You will have to do several tests inside the ruins and make a scripted version for at least two different conditions: Night and Day (can be done via "If (SunOrMoon >0.5)" check).
Reason is: even though SetApertureNew lets you set up a min-to-max aperture numbers, it doesn't work well if difference between numbers is too big.
And for example, Setaperture 100 during the night will make ruins completely unplayable, you wouldn't be able to see a thing. Meanwhile during the day You will have to set up much higher numbers.
I will do the MP tests and provide feedback on lightning and what can be done to make it even better once it's released.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vandeanson said:

@lv1234

with regards to the horsespawner issue.

the only way that i can imagine, that makes the horses spawn that quickly, is that the sleep before the script is looped is wrong or not defined. that means that the script tries to wait about 2000 seconds as defined in vd settings.

if the vd settings file is not complete, and the respective global variable that stands for the respawn delay is deleted or set to 0, the script will not wait but instantly spawn the next horse.

if you send your mission file i can have a look too.

cheers vd

I don't have all my files including the vd array up to date with your latest one...Maybe that is the cause

Just now, lv1234 said:

I don't have all my files including the vd array up to date with your latest one...Maybe that is the cause

yep, vd_init, vd settings vd arrays and vd functions are important bases of all my scripts.

also how they are initialized. bestvis to use my latest versions.

in some time, the basic .sqf will be optimzied and there will be less overhauls, then it will be easier to just pick out the updated files, instead replacing the whole script pack

This is sounding really good so far.  Are you going to add jonnyboy AI chating and flashlites?

Where do you see this project going? The survival mode is typically fun and you have a great start.  Sometimes people get writers block for ideas.  I know many have given some ideas so far even me.  If you have a direction I am sure more ideas will come in.    

hey man,

beware, wall of text incomming!

so the vision is the following:

- a script pack that adds interesting features such as sites and events to add more dept to any mission, every place on the map should have the potential to be interessting

- as fps friendly as possible

- mp compatible

- features should require the mission maker as little eden editor setup work as possible, maximum a marker placement, preferably placement is done automatically and random

- features should spawn and despawn dynamically

- features must be optional and its scale can be reduced (e.g. amount of site spawns, to match users PC power)

based on these "conditions" i try to write my scripts.

currently i have a huge list of ideas for new features. but also i want to improve/enhance existing features.

improve and enhance:

1. Bandit Camps:

1.1. players can claim camps for themselves

- respective BC wont despawn

- add perks (e.g. traders might visit, recruitable units come by, other survivors join your camp and venture out to gather loot for you as payment so they can stay, AI come by and give you tasks,...)

- player can remodel the camps structures, e.g. move sandbag walls and so on, place lootcrates to store items

2. AI spawner

2.1. add AI spawners that fill in where ravage (my mod framework of choice) AIs are less present such as the No Rest! spawner

- AI scavenger that cycles between various houses building pos and his nearby hideout to collect loot at the hideout -> player can stalk and rob him/loot the hideout

- No Rest! spawner but for Zombie hordes and limited to cities

- air raids by AI heli with mounted guns (tries to kill the player for a few mins and then disapears, maybe lands somewhere so the player may hunt the pilots and take over the vehicle. loops until AI pilots are dead

3. Array generator

- currently the script detects all active equipment mods and sorts the items into arrays for later use in the scripts.

- to be further refined and further automated where arrays are currently manually generated (e.g. explosives, grenades, items,...)

- will add more "exclusion" options for common mod packs such as Warfare Thai Ex, BPA and RHS so users can customize the loottable.

4. Site compositions

- most sites are now based on premade compositions. will add more variations per site and provide guidance on how users can add their own site compositions

new features:

own stuff:

1. Underground locations

1.1 ancient ruin

1.2 underground room/bunker

1.3 cave

1.4 sewer system under cities, requires cernarusredux assets

- add fake night/darkness

- remove ambient sounds

- add sound loops that match the location

2. zombie virus infection, infectionspread and cure script, mainly tailored for ravage at the moment

- getting there;) to be tested

3. task system,

- random tasks handed out by an AI

4. simple own material gathering and building system (this is just theory and ideas so far) to replace the edn fortification feature

- addaction and drop based raw material gathering function (wood, stone, sand, parts, cloth)

- addaction based refinery of raw mats (wooden boards, bricks, camonets,....)

- material will be stored in "virtual" inventory with max capacity and may be stored at personal crate in player base "sort of a bank"

- object placement is the real challenge for me atm (rotation, elevation move to be built object with mouse to desired place) that setVectorDirAndUp is quite a brainf*ck:)

5. radar sites

- pick up your location when flying at certain altitude in certain proximity to a radar site and sends AA ai.

player may find and destroy radar sites to secure airspace

6. various

- graves to collect ID of diseased against reward

- buried treasures (randomly spawned dirthumps in the woods

6. eden editor modules for the configuration of settings (so you can customize the scripts in editor instead of having to go into VD_settings.sqf

7. persistency system for my scripts

johnnyboy produced features:

- exploding barrels

- tanoa tribe boat transformer for the boat spawner

- VD_Bush...äh JBOY bush cutter and Adaptation to work with max melee weapons

- AI patrol chatter and flashlights script inclusion

- some animal fleeing and other behaviour from his "poof chicken" script to improve my huntable animal spawner

- probably a lot more:)

George Floros produced scripts

- huntable animal script to extend the variety of animals

- status bar script with LSVamonts version

- probably more stuff, gotta figure out what is best to leave to the mission maker to add and where i feel its a cool standard option to have

HG simple shops:

- has to be added at some point:)

Spawners for 3rd party mods:

1. this one is secret:) 

2. alien spawner option for max aliens mod

4. raptor spawner option

3. unlimited magazine feature for max melee weapons spawner

The ultimative goal is to have a package that i can just throw into a mission folder with any map, activate desired mods, set up ravage and press play and experiance a rich, dynamic and different world every time.

uff. VD OUT!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Vandeanson said:

yep, vd_init, vd settings vd arrays and vd functions are important bases of all my scripts.

also how they are initialized. bestvis to use my latest versions.

in some time, the basic .sqf will be optimzied and there will be less overhauls, then it will be easier to just pick out the updated files, instead replacing the whole script pack

Yeah it turns out that I had to replace the scripts with your latest one. 

SNIP

Looking forward to that base building script of yours! Starting to get tired of the current edn-base building script due to how buggy it is

- probably more stuff, gotta figure out what is best to leave to the mission maker to add and where i feel its a cool standard option to have

Vandeanson , this is all very nice , as i see there is a non stop working progress !

Keep up the good work !

• Thanks 1

Hi Vandeanson!

It looks like you are putting together my dream-script! But I guess it is a dream coming true for a lot of us.
I appreciate the hard and dedicated work you are doing!

Thanks to Geroge Floros and johnnyboy for their great scripts too!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lv1234 said:

Looking forward to that base building script of yours! Starting to get tired of the current edn-base building script due to how buggy it is

yeah i feel like id rather invest time in a simple housemade script than trying to fix a more complex one i have not made initially. 

not-sure-if-that-sounds-amazing-or-total

hey man,

beware, wall of text incomming!

so the vision is the following:

- a script pack that adds interesting features such as sites and events to add more dept to any mission, every place on the map should have the potential to be interessting

- as fps friendly as possible

- mp compatible

- features should require the mission maker as little eden editor setup work as possible, maximum a marker placement, preferably placement is done automatically and random

- features should spawn and despawn dynamically

- features must be optional and its scale can be reduced (e.g. amount of site spawns, to match users PC power)

based on these "conditions" i try to write my scripts.

currently i have a huge list of ideas for new features. but also i want to improve/enhance existing features.

improve and enhance:

1. Bandit Camps:

1.1. players can claim camps for themselves

- respective BC wont despawn

- add perks (e.g. traders might visit, recruitable units come by, other survivors join your camp and venture out to gather loot for you as payment so they can stay, AI come by and give you tasks,...)

- player can remodel the camps structures, e.g. move sandbag walls and so on, place lootcrates to store items

2. AI spawner

2.1. add AI spawners that fill in where ravage (my mod framework of choice) AIs are less present such as the No Rest! spawner

- AI scavenger that cycles between various houses building pos and his nearby hideout to collect loot at the hideout -> player can stalk and rob him/loot the hideout

- No Rest! spawner but for Zombie hordes and limited to cities

- air raids by AI heli with mounted guns (tries to kill the player for a few mins and then disapears, maybe lands somewhere so the player may hunt the pilots and take over the vehicle. loops until AI pilots are dead

3. Array generator

- currently the script detects all active equipment mods and sorts the items into arrays for later use in the scripts.

- to be further refined and further automated where arrays are currently manually generated (e.g. explosives, grenades, items,...)

- will add more "exclusion" options for common mod packs such as Warfare Thai Ex, BPA and RHS so users can customize the loottable.

4. Site compositions

- most sites are now based on premade compositions. will add more variations per site and provide guidance on how users can add their own site compositions

new features:

own stuff:

1. Underground locations

1.1 ancient ruin

1.2 underground room/bunker

1.3 cave

1.4 sewer system under cities, requires cernarusredux assets

- add fake night/darkness

- remove ambient sounds

- add sound loops that match the location

2. zombie virus infection, infectionspread and cure script, mainly tailored for ravage at the moment

- getting there;) to be tested

3. task system,

- random tasks handed out by an AI

4. simple own material gathering and building system (this is just theory and ideas so far) to replace the edn fortification feature

- addaction and drop based raw material gathering function (wood, stone, sand, parts, cloth)

- addaction based refinery of raw mats (wooden boards, bricks, camonets,....)

- material will be stored in "virtual" inventory with max capacity and may be stored at personal crate in player base "sort of a bank"

- object placement is the real challenge for me atm (rotation, elevation move to be built object with mouse to desired place) that setVectorDirAndUp is quite a brainf*ck:)

5. radar sites

- pick up your location when flying at certain altitude in certain proximity to a radar site and sends AA ai.

player may find and destroy radar sites to secure airspace

6. various

- graves to collect ID of diseased against reward

- buried treasures (randomly spawned dirthumps in the woods

6. eden editor modules for the configuration of settings (so you can customize the scripts in editor instead of having to go into VD_settings.sqf

7. persistency system for my scripts

johnnyboy produced features:

- exploding barrels

- tanoa tribe boat transformer for the boat spawner

- VD_Bush...äh JBOY bush cutter and Adaptation to work with max melee weapons

- AI patrol chatter and flashlights script inclusion

- some animal fleeing and other behaviour from his "poof chicken" script to improve my huntable animal spawner

- probably a lot more:)

HG simple shops:

- has to be added at some point:)

Spawners for 3rd party mods:

1. this one is secret:) 

2. alien spawner option for max aliens mod

4. raptor spawner option

3. unlimited magazine feature for max melee weapons spawner

The ultimative goal is to have a package that i can just throw into a mission folder with any map, activate desired mods, set up ravage and press play and experiance a rich, dynamic and different world every time.

uff. VD OUT!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ron79 said:

Thanks to Geroge Floros and johnnyboy for their great scripts too!  :)

Thank you very much Ron !    :f:

• Like 1

oops i forgot, of course the sanctuary as per OP is also a feature i have on the schedule!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VD, I can only express my deepest gratitude to you as one of those scripters who help to turn survival missions in ARMA into a living, breathing world that gives even the author of a mission a believable, immersive experience with high replayability!  BIG THX for all you've achieved so far and BIG THX for all your awesome plans! :thanx:

Also I really really love the spirit of the ARMA community leading to joint efforts between talented scripters to create new levels of awesomeness by combining expertise in certain specialized areas of scripting instaed of letting every man for himself re-invent the wheel - like you working together with George Floros, Johnnyboy and HG to improve upon your script suite! :icon_dj:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@tourist

thanks man;) 

we all share one common goal, survival awesomeness!

cheers

vd

• Like 1

Excellent mod/script.

I have it working. However do I have to do something different for the dogs? i've not seen them spawn. Trader, Helicopter crashes and Bandit camps spawn ok. I in settings put dog spawns to 10, still none. ANy thing else I need to edit? Do I need to extract files from the JBOY dog folder?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

hi folks,

i am progressing with my zombie infection script as well as my new basebuilding and crafting script.

below a brief showcase of the basebuidling script concept:

this is at an early stage and is missing any interface (showing material count such as wood, stone,.....) and animations.

i plan to include max melee weapons as requirement (e.g. player needs to carry an axe for wood chopping). maybe i can even include the weapon swing animations:) tbd..

also the woodblocks are placeholders until i have a more immersive solution.

the principle is that you move your personal item box to a safe location to store your loot and gather ressources to build a base around it.

the base will be subject to bandit raids and Zombie attacks, with a diminuishing change to happen the more defensive structures are built at your base (currently just a concept).

materials may be looted (wood in forrests, stone from rocks, cloth from dead enemies, some stuff can be bought).

stuff that needs to be gathered is prolly going to be spawned in dynamically arround the player in fitting ares (again, e.g wood in forests)

i am also thinking about having to refine raw materials such as wood blocks into wooden boards, using a sawmill or smth like that.

im hoping to come up with a GF style status bar to show the player his material stock.

the script is (should be) mp compatible and persistent (to be testet).

i am implementing the basic features now, once that is done i can extend the scale of blueprints, add crafting, add spawners for collectable new blueprints and so on.

hope you like it and please let me know what vanilla assets you think would make sense to add as blueprints (please provide classnames)

cheers

vd

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

uuuh i started to gather sounds for my underground sites;) cave stone door opening sounds epiiic... showcase to follow soonish;)

• Like 2

Awesome. Can't seem to get the dogs to spawn though? I set em to 500 in settings. IN Tanoa. Also didn't see any camps. I did see the camps on my previous missions though. Dogs.. not so much

hmm and no error messages?

can u check and confirm the following:

- are u using the full script pack?

- is the CUP terrain - core mod active?

- which version did you download? from OP or the last one in the comments?

2 hours ago, CHICKENLICKEN said:

Awesome. Can't seem to get the dogs to spawn though? I set em to 500 in settings. IN Tanoa. Also didn't see any camps. I did see the camps on my previous missions though. Dogs.. not so much

oh if u use the comment version 2.31, go to vd_init.sqf and remove all */ and /*, for testing so e stuff was disables;)

Edit: nah sorry nevermind, i fixed that

Edited by Vandeanson

1 hour ago, Vandeanson said:

hmm and no error messages?

can u check and confirm the following:

- are u using the full script pack?

- is the CUP terrain - core mod active?

- which version did you download? from OP or the last one in the comments?

No errors!

YEs all files from mod I downloaded from the OP.

YEs CUP terrain active.

Wait.. i didn't download the ed3n fortifications (second file) As I thought that was for bases? Is it necessary? As I still got traders etc. without it. just no dogs.

ok, the OP does not include the dogs or the boat/heli/plane spawn

but im puzzled why no BCs spawn..

gotta check

Ah ok. Actually I think it’s workin just wasn’t exploring good enoug. As I found bandit camps and heli crashes in my mission .

i thought the dogs were? As original file has all jboy dogs folders? How do I activate them? Do I need to install the mod first I suppose ?

thanks for your great work!