SpartanViperz

Can someone help me with my mod config?

https://gyazo.com/27e4f556f11939bc7afbabde05b9e5e1

I'm fairly new to modding and I'm trying to create a replacement pack for the current NATO which changes their equipment to gear already existing in the game. I'm trying to make them look more like they were in the Alpha/Beta and first release of the game.

But some of my mod config isn't working and I'm not sure why? My rifleman class works fine but when trying to create the grenadier class, I'm having some issues, the uniform, vest and helmet I want (which is identical to the rifleman just for testing purposes) isn't appearing and instead is just left with the vanilla gear, but I know some of the config is working somewhat because it has the addon image next to it in the editor and the backpack I placed on him works.

Any help towards tidying my config up (as most of it is a copy and paste of sample configs which I've edited) and making it work would be massively appreciated.

maybe add something to requiredaddons[] array in your cfgpatches, that references the right characters_f etc to ensure the class gets loaded and patched.

6 hours ago, eggbeast said:

maybe add something to requiredaddons[] array in your cfgpatches, that references the right characters_f etc to ensure the class gets loaded and patched.

Thank you so much that worked! My current config looks like this https://gyazo.com/c2ee976b9d6c5cacf80c04d180c1bea2 

I'm still a little confused on the class names and I don't know if this is set up correctly as I tried to take some tips of a user on reddit on this thread: 

So if you could help me tidy it up or tell me if I'm doing the right thing, it would be very much appreciated.

'Riflemen' isn't a nato unit class so it won't load

for a replacer you'll have to match the inheritance of the original config for your changes to work

B_soldier_F inherits from B_Soldier_base_F so try :

class B_Soldier_base_F;

Class B_soldier_F : B_Soldier_base_F

{

changes

};

your grenade guy also inherits from 'B_Soldier_base_F'.

I think there are 2 or 3 other base classes for NATO units so you'll have to declare each one.

All the Blufor unit configs are in "Characters_F/config.cpp", have you checked that out already ?

12 minutes ago, lordfrith said:

'Riflemen' isn't a nato unit class so it won't load

for a replacer you'll have to match the inheritance of the original config for your changes to work

B_soldier_F inherits from B_Soldier_base_F so try :

your grenade guy also inherits from 'B_Soldier_base_F'.

I think there are 2 or 3 other base classes for NATO units so you'll have to declare each one.

All the Blufor unit configs are in "Characters_F/config.cpp", have you checked that out already ?

whenever I try and open the config file it opens as random numbers rather than actual code, like this: https://gyazo.com/75052cd84b157ae3fb6f9eecda8a7025 and the rifleman does load but I'll try your changes as I thought something didn't look right.

oh right it'll be still in .bin if you de-pbo'd it... use arma tools 'CfgConvert' to convert to .cpp and it should be human readable :D

... the config worked calling 'rifleman' as base class?  either way for a replacer you're best to match the inheritance as accurate as you can

1 minute ago, lordfrith said:

oh right it'll be still in .bin if you de-pbo'd it... use arma tools 'CfgConvert' to convert to .cpp and it should be human readable :D

oh thank you :)

@lordfrith Really big thanks, I am currently flying away with this coding now and am able to understand it much simpler than I did previously and I am building the mod I'd like to make, so thank you very much :)

• Like 1