Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Rainbow six universe

I really love Tom Clancy books, I've read a lot of them, and I don't mind if some are too patriotic. On the weekend, I saw a movie called Clear and Present Danger with Harrison Ford. It was based on a Tom Clancy novel of the same name, and one which I have not read. I noticed in it that Ding Chavez, and Clark (forgot his first name, the one who started R6) were both in it. I would like to know if this story takes place before or after the Rainbow Six story, and if the Tom Clancy novels are interconnected in small ways.

BTW, what kind of shot gun is that in Mafia? I was looking the entire day, the closest looking shotgun is the Ithaca 37, but I don't think that shotgun was in the 1930's.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 09 2002,19:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would like to know if this story takes place before or after the Rainbow Six story<span id='postcolor'>

Before. Then Chavez goes into the CIA and then R6. smile.gif

I think confused.gif

I'm pretty sure it's set before too...

Jack Ryan becomes President while Chavez & Clarke are in Rainbow, and Chavez is in the Marines while Ryan is in the CIA...

Grey Fox is right - Chavez enters the CIA from the Marines, then into Rainbow...

Oh, and Clarke/Chavez/Ryan didn't know each other in Clear and Present Danger, while Chavez is Clarke's son-in-law in R6 smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 10 2002,05:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm pretty sure it's set before too...

Jack Ryan becomes President while Chavez & Clarke are in Rainbow, and Chavez is in the Marines while Ryan is in the CIA...

Grey Fox is right - Chavez enters the CIA from the Marines, then into Rainbow...

Oh, and Clarke/Chavez/Ryan didn't know each other in Clear and Present Danger, while Chavez is Clarke's son-in-law in R6 smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

True, but wasn't Chavez U.S. Army? I don't think he was a Marine. Could be wrong.

yup chavez was in the light-infantry, clarke the ex-SEAL and Jack Ryan was the Ex-Marine LT

in "executive orders" , if i remember correctly , clark and chavez are ordered to go in the hostile country and to laser paint the bad guy's headquarters building after ryan became president , right after the crash of the 747 on the white house at the end "debt of honor"

and "executive orders" is the sequel of "debt of honor" wich is itslef preceded by clear and present danger and many other clancy's books

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Dec. 10 2002,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yup chavez was in the light-infantry, clarke the ex-SEAL and Jack Ryan was the Ex-Marine LT<span id='postcolor'>

I stand corrected smile.gif

The book "Without Remorse", unlocked many Clancy confusions for me.  It's mainly about John Clark (John Kelly) before his CIA days and about his vietnam era experiences and how he ended up recruited into the CIA in by Admiral Greer.  You also get to see some other characters from the very beginning, such as Jack Ryan shipping off for the Marines (Ryan's father is a main character of the book.) It's a must read if youre into Tom Clancy.  You won't be able to appreciate Rainbow Six as much if you haven't read the other books first.  They make more sense if you read them in order.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 10 2002,20:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The book "Without Remorse", unlocked many Clancy confusions for me.  It's mainly about John Clark (John Kelly) before his CIA days and about his vietnam era experiences and how he ended up recruited into the CIA in by Admiral Greer.  You also get to see some other characters from the very beginning, such as Jack Ryan shipping off for the Marines (Ryan's father is a main character of the book.) It's a must read if youre into Tom Clancy.  You won't be able to appreciate Rainbow Six as much if you haven't read the other books first.<span id='postcolor'>

In the novel "Patriot Games", Ryan is making a big deal about his dad being a cop, not a soldier confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 10 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 10 2002,20wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The book "Without Remorse", unlocked many Clancy confusions for me.  It's mainly about John Clark (John Kelly) before his CIA days and about his vietnam era experiences and how he ended up recruited into the CIA in by Admiral Greer.  You also get to see some other characters from the very beginning, such as Jack Ryan shipping off for the Marines (Ryan's father is a main character of the book.) It's a must read if youre into Tom Clancy.  You won't be able to appreciate Rainbow Six as much if you haven't read the other books first.<span id='postcolor'>

In the novel "Patriot Games", Ryan is making a big deal about his dad being a cop, not a soldier confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i've been a soldier , and now i'm a cop smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 10 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[in the novel "Patriot Games", Ryan is making a big deal about his dad being a cop, not a soldier confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, thats right. In "Without Remorse" Jacks father was the cop who investigated the string of vigilante murders that John Clark ventured out on after some thugs killed his girlfriend. He would have arrested Clark if it wasn't for Admiral Greer.... I don't want to spoil the story for anyone. wink.gif

i've read without remorse , nice read , it's the cover of one of its editions wich caught my eye smile.gif

2253076821.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

smile.gif

almost all the clancy's books are linked by 3 central characters Ryan , Clark and Chavez (the 2 first being the most importants)

just one question , where is Ryan during the R6's events ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 10 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 10 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[in the novel "Patriot Games", Ryan is making a big deal about his dad being a cop, not a soldier confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, thats right.  In "Without Remorse" Jacks father was the cop who investigated the string of vigilante murders that John Clark ventured out on after some thugs killed his girlfriend.  He would have arrested Clark if it wasn't for Admiral Greer.... I don't want to spoil the story for anyone. wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Bah, you just made me spend Å5 on Amazon mad.gifwow.giftounge.gif

i haven't searched too much , but are the Clany's books only edited byt the Penguin editions in english ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 10 2002,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i haven't searched too much , but are the Clany's books only edited byt the Penguin editions in english ?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not sure to be honest. The copy of Bear+Dragon that I have is penguin, but Red October and Patriot Games are both in German from a German publisher, while the remaining Clancy novels I read in a library years ago (instead of doing school work tounge.gif ) but I don't remember what publisher they were....although I think it was an American publisher...hence it can't be Penguin.

I'll tell you in a few days smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 10 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">almost all the clancy's books are linked by 3 central characters Ryan , Clark and Chavez (the 2 first being the most importants)

just one question , where is Ryan during the R6's events ?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm pretty sure Ryan's still the president in Rainbow Six. There is some mentioning in the book that Clark is a personal friend of the President, but it never mentions Ryan by name.

I could be wrong though.

i love the small french edition "j'ai lu" , their ink is shit tho .....

but their books are of a good dimension , but they tend to split the originals into several parts (sans aucun remord 1&2 , dette d'honneur 1&2 , sur ordre 1&2) and it pushes you to buy more of their books smile.gif

but the print quality is quite good and the covers are always cool (ok , most of the time)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 10 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 10 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">almost all the clancy's books are linked by 3 central characters Ryan , Clark and Chavez (the 2 first being the most importants)

I'm pretty sure Ryan's still the president in Rainbow Six.  There is some mentioning in the book that Clark is a personal friend of the President, but it never mentions Ryan by name.

I could be wrong though.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah , i think you're right

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 10 2002,20:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 10 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">almost all the clancy's books are linked by 3 central characters Ryan , Clark and Chavez (the 2 first being the most importants)

I'm pretty sure Ryan's still the president in Rainbow Six.  There is some mentioning in the book that Clark is a personal friend of the President, but it never mentions Ryan by name.

I could be wrong though.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that hippy environmentalist type politician (the girl of the dude that owns that company) mentions at some point "President Ryan".

2253170151.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg225317016X.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

2253170666.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg2253170674.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

2253171859.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg2253171867.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Livre de poche" is a subdivision of "albin michel"

the pocket books are labelled as "livre de poche" and the normal ones just have the name of the normal edition : "albin michel"

most of the clancy's books fall into the action/suspens category of the "livre de poche" label

but there are some series like netforce and opcenter that dont use the action/suspens colors and cover schemes

smile.gif

Those covers are nothing like I have seen before, esp. Rainbow 6, I remember that being white confused.gif

Ran, am I looking at those covers right? Did they divide Debt of Honor into 2 separate books? All I got is one big thick one...Hmm, did that sound right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 10 2002,20:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember that being white confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the r6's second part has the negative of the first part meaning it has a white background