Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

An interview with ondrej

Hi guys;

Ondrej agreed to answer a few questions for a mini-interview about BIS and the future of OFP. Here are the questions and replies:

-------------

Here are your answers. Feel free to post in anywhere you like:

Q1. It has been a year and a half since Operation Flashpoint's release. Many thousands of copies have been sold

and many awards have been given. What does Bohemia Interactive plan to do to build on this success?

Where will Operation Flashpoint be in six months? A year?

Q2. Any new projects or new patches on the horizon? What are some things you'd like to improve in the future?

A1, A2: I am sorry, but I will not reveal anything about this yet.

Q3. What new technologies are you excited about incorporating into the current or future versions of Operation Flashpoint?

A3: We plan many innovative technologies in various areas, including large landscape management, tree and forest rendering and several significant gameplay enhacements. If I should name one particular technology we are very excited about, it is pixel and vertex shaders. This technology is very easy to use and extremelly flexible and powerfull at the same time.

Q4. Imagine you could go back in time, is there anything you would you have done differently with Operation Flashpoint?

A4: I do not think we made any single major mistake during OFP development. There are many minor things, like our initial selection of DirectPlay as network API.

If anyone wants to know more about good and bad things that happened during OFP development, I would recommend reading post-mortem article we wrote for Game Developer Magazines (it is also available online on www.gamasutra.com).

Q5. The release of Oxygen/Breathe has been widely regarded as a much needed shot of energy for the OFP community. Almost three months have passed since it's release and we've seen some pretty incredible work come from these independent producers. What are BIS's plans to support third-party developments in the future?

A5: We are really pleased by the work OFP community has done. There are many talented individual and teams working in the community, some of them delivering work that is really production quality. The area we feel needs improving is to help addon creators to make their work accessible to the end users. We plan to release a set of specifications and tools that will help in this.

We will definitelly improve addon management in out future products, especially in following areas:

- we want users to be able to install and uinstall addons on the fly

- we want mission makers to be able to include addons as a part of their mission, creating mission specific addons

- we are considering how to implement automated multiplayer addon management and downloading without stressing multiplayer servers too much

Q6. Third-party modders have done some amazing things with Operation Flashpoint. Is there anything in particular that has suprised you? Any mod project that has struck you as suprisingly well-made or inventive?

A6: I really liked many addons that introduces some never seen before features into OFP. Some of my favourite are rather toys (many addons made by Gimbal or Kegetys), some are big projects (like Chain of Command). There are much more I like and it is impossible to name them all here.

Q7. Are there any plans to incorporate third-party mods or ideas into future versions of OFP?

A7: I have to say when working and designing the game, we never looked much at anyone else's work. We sometimes play other games, we sometimes play with third-party mods, and we are certainly influenced by this, but we want our games to stay distinct.

During the development of Operation Flashpoint we made several decision that caused it to be less likely accepted by general public - and when the game was out, we were pleased by the reaction of some people who told that Flashpoint is "too hard", "too unpolished" or "too weird".

We are listening to what our users say, but we do not always implement what is the most wanted thing. We see game development as a kind of art, and we are convinced game creators need to stay independent of what people like or not. Many publishers and developers talk and think about "wide target audience" as the first and most important rule of the game development. We aim to create great games that we will like and we can be proud of - and we are very glad there are many people enjoying the game we designed and sharing the vision we have.

--------------

Ondrej Spanel, BIS Lead Programmer

This new technology he speaks of, the pixel and vertex shaders and whatever else they plan on using. Does he mean that these will be implemented into the original OFP, or a future version (OFP2?). And gameplay enhancements....its got me tickled already! biggrin.gif

Great interview! can't wait to see some of these new features smile.gif

RED

Great interview!

Thanks for showing it, Hellfish6

Thanks for the answers, Ondrej

smile.gif

I figure that since I can't make mods or offer intelligent opinions on anything, I've got to do somefink for the OFP community (who have done a lot for me - just look at my addons folder).

biggrin.gif

That does it. My hopes are dashed.

Excuse me while I go play Sturmovik.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are listening to what our users say, but we do not always implement what is the most wanted thing. We see game development as a kind of art, and we are convinced game creators need to stay independent of what people like or not. Many publishers and developers talk and think about "wide target audience" as the first and most important rule of the game development. We aim to create great games that we will like and we can be proud of - and we are very glad there are many people enjoying the game we designed and sharing the vision we have.

<span id='postcolor'>

I wish there were many more developers who shared this point of view. I've played many games and a lot of them are just the same formula rehashed with some flashy graphics and a story tacked on.

Flashpoint is a great game and shows just what developers can do if they do what they WANT to do and not what they think will merely grab the biggest audience. Thanks BIS for a great game smile.gif .

Amen, Morbid. I'm glad BIS is sticking to there guns, and even willing to tell us up front, basically "bad idea--we will not stray from the formula" so that they will not biggrin.gif appeal to a wider audience. We don't want this turning into some Counter-Strike killer or anything of that sort.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Crassus @ Dec. 10 2002,11:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We don't want this turning into some Counter-Strike killer or anything of that sort.<span id='postcolor'>

After reading the interview and the postmortem at gamesutra, I think we are pretty safe.

Not to quote exactly, but basically (in the postmortem) they said they feel more like they are just a part of the whole OFP community, rather than some aloof programmers. biggrin.gif Warm fuzzies all round wink.giftounge.gif

this man got to talk to my mother, cause she still dont understands wats flashpoint is all abouth.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are listening to what our users say, but we do not always implement what is the most wanted thing. <span id='postcolor'>

Strange attitude.

Actually, I respect the attitude. Hey, think about the 'demanded' features that would have gone in, and changed the gameplay in a possibly negative way, had the developers bowed to everyone's wishes. (Cough, JIP... but don't start that debate again here)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Dec. 10 2002,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are listening to what our users say, but we do not always implement what is the most wanted thing. <span id='postcolor'>

Strange attitude.<span id='postcolor'>

Well I, like Crassus, think the attitude is necessary... OFP is not the most popular game out there (CS etc is), and if they always listened to the most popular requests, majority would rule (people who are not serious about reality), and BIS would eventually create an other mainstream game like CS or Quake or R6. (although R6 barely fits in there)

And remember, if they did not have the attitude, OFP would not be the new and revolutionary kind of game it is today.

Good interview, I like what they are looking into...

I was just thinking about the shading and lighing effects, if they incorporated the same kind of technology as Q3 or R6RvS, that would be killer. It would also be nice to see more realistic type of fog (close to land etc.). Anyway, I'm sure what ever they come up with will be another good improvement. smile.gif

Nice interview smile.gif

If he means that technology that requires graphic cards to have Hardware Transform and Lighting please don´t implement it. Or at least make it optional. I´ve seen many games that are not as popular as they would be because they require this tecnology(at least in my country). CS still reings and is still played because it can run in almost any computer. PLEASE DON´T as I wouldn´t be able to play it, my TNT2 is getting OLD sad.gif

I think the attitude is perfect. Like it has been said before me, you can imagine the horrors that the tyranny of the gaming majority would have instilled upon OFP. I've seen a lot of stupid requests and suggestions posted on this board and I shudder to think of all the stupid emails BIS had to sift through. There used to be a time, about two years ago, when you'd find Marek, Ondrej and other BIS people on the webboards all day.

But, like the post-mortem stated, the average age and maturity levels in our community dropped like a rock when the demo was released. I don't want a game designed by a hoard of 13 year olds whose entire military experience derives from GI Jane and GI Joe - I want a realistic infantry/modern warfare simulation of incredible depth. BIS delivered.

I honestly wonder if the average maturity level on this board were five or ten years higher than it is now, would we now know everything about IL that we ever wanted? It seemed like the screaming meemees swamped this board post-release offering their 'expert' opinions and scared away the developers from their previously open and amicable relationship with us.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Dec. 11 2002,06:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I honestly wonder if the average maturity level on this board were five or ten years higher than it is now, would we now know everything about IL that we ever wanted? It seemed like the screaming meemees swamped this board post-release offering their 'expert' opinions and scared away the developers from their previously open and amicable relationship with us.<span id='postcolor'>

that would be a factor. i still see some ppl who think BIS should post reply to their bug findings and feature requests. and when BIS doesn't, they say something like 'oh, this sux, no wonder this game is not going to live' and etc. as if BIS owes them something, and as if BIS's support is not good.

however, considering chaotic nature of this forum after initial release, i don't think it's the entire picture. in the beginning, there were no mods outside of BIS, and the forum was quite chaotic. only after placebo and OFPN got in as mods, the forum became somewhat usable.

also, this freed BIS's time. instead of spending time on moderating, they can focus on developing patches and experimenting, while forum is kept under a few volunteer's eyes. i won't be surprised if BIS checks posts that relate to bug report and etc.

also, as any firm goes, talking too much about their future project is seldom beneficial. it's like poker-you don't want to show what you have, and if someone says something, you should cast suspicion; he might be bluffing.

of course, another thing is that as soon as BIS offers some hint, ppl will all suddenly congregate and ask this and that to get more info. when OFPR pics were released, ppl were debating this and that and was asking for more info and begging to answer their questions. when O2 was opened to a selected few(beta), there were almost immediately 3 threads created right after BIS's announcement debating why BIS is not fully opening it. there were some harsh words exchanged, and one thread was 60 pages long before it got deleted and that was within first 6 hours(i think). and even after some waiting, ppl were whining why BIS is not opening O2 in June, although BIS said the date is unconfirmed.

so i doubt if we can get answers to future projects. just having patience is the answer.

Ondrej mentioned "future products" when talking about add-on management, new features etc. Does this mean more free patches, or more expansion packs like Resistance? I get the feeling it means another expansion pack.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Sharpshooter @ Dec. 11 2002,06:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If he means that technology that requires graphic cards to have Hardware Transform and Lighting please don´t implement it. Or at least make it optional. I´ve seen many games that are not as popular as they would be because they require this tecnology(at least in my country). CS still reings and is still played because it can run in almost any computer. PLEASE DON´T as I wouldn´t be able to play it, my TNT2 is getting OLD sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Your card need more than T&L (Transform&Lightning) support to handle what he is talking about. Not even a Geforce2 GTS has support for vertex/pixel-shaders, you must have at least a Geforce 3 card. But dont worry, I pretty sure vertex/pixel-shaders are going to be optional.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadeater @ Dec. 11 2002,23:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ondrej mentioned "future products" when talking about add-on management, new features etc. Does this mean more free patches, or more expansion packs like Resistance? I get the feeling it means another expansion pack.<span id='postcolor'>

I hope he means a full fledged sequel. The current engine has a lot of limitations that can only be overcome with some major redesign, and I get the feeling that BIS can't squeeze many more improvements into the existing one. Great to hear that something is in the works though!

Guest jacobaby

NO! NO! NO!!!

I cant take any more realism!! Don't these people realize that since playing OFP I haven't been able to look another game in the face?

That since discovering the intense Co-op atmosphere when 5 or 6 of you get together, I know longer want to sleep?? And that because I no longer sleep, I no longer go to work???

And that when I do snatch an hour or two, my dreams are full of "setpos getpos this select..........." and "Oh No! "..is Down!."

And dont they care that when I go to travel agents i'm asking for brochures on "Nogova", "Everon", and that oriental delight "Ia drang".

My family photo album has been replaced by screenshots, and my friends are wondering why I dive into a bush every time there is a bang................

No, it's time it stopped. But how can I rest, when Suma is saying this like......."Use the {} to make sure your addons are portable for future products..........."

Aaaaaagh, now he's got me going again.........future products?confused.gif Damn, to me that means a whole new game........................

Ah well, goodbye life............ I will now start to write my official address as " CYBERSPACE"

smile.gif

TJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jacobaby @ Dec. 12 2002,14:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">TJ<span id='postcolor'>

Which TJ? confused.gif

Guest jacobaby

There can be only one............

You finished "compromised" yet?

:o)