zagor64bz

USS Freedom: AI won't board a chopper?

Hi,

I placed a chopper on the freedom deck,on a helipad. When I order my squad (AI) to board the chopper, they seem not to find the path to the heli and run around without getting in. Any idea why?

A known issue that can't be solved easily. There are no pathways like in the map buildings on deck, so the AI does not know how to walk on it. AI in general has trouble with editor placed objects that are not part of the original map. At least the runways works for AI.

Just now, Beagle said:

A known issue that can't be solved easily. There are no pathways on deck, so the AI does not know how to walk on it.

DAMN!!!

I have to rethink the whole mission now!!

Thank you man!

A solution I use in my missions is create a small cutscene that fades out a few seconds from the deck. Execute a getincargo script for my team. Then when screen fades back in we are boarded and ready for take off

• Thanks 1

What I did was almost the same: I create an addAction on the choppers which teleport my team inside.Never thought about the faded in/out part dough .Nice....

Thats not all,
the AI is walking like in water. so the (issurfacewater getpos AI) has to be changed by ((issurfacewater getpos AI) && !((getposASLW AI) select 2) > 0)
the second is, that the AI geting in formation with the Helicopter instead of mount.
This behavior is caused by another position issiue. The ai "thinks" that the helicopter is in the air and hovering, but it stands on the deck next to the AI.
Here a changing of (getPos AI distance getposASL vehicle to mount <  x) to (getPosASLW AI distance getposASLW vehicle to mount <  x) should help.
This is nothing the Missiondesigner can fix by its own.

• Thanks 1

Just to add at that it surprise me how we have only 2 walkable ships in game and they can't really be "walked" by AI efficiently. BI should really work on that.

2 minutes ago, zagor64bz said:

Just to add at that it surprise me how we have only 2 walkable ships in game and they can't really be "walked" by AI efficiently. BI should really work on that.

Hopefully the next iteration will bring improvement in that area, though I'll still be skeptical and won't buy it depending on how AI turns out in the first place.

Seeing how walkable moving objects are done in a plethora of games from 10 years ago should leave anyone positive.

Cheers

• Like 1