kllrt

Tanks - Armored vehicles customization

5 hours ago, martin_lee said:

I am wondering, would adding slat armour increase the collision box? I couldn't check for now. If it does, I think it would be a compromise.

It does and that's a big disadvantage, I like that!

btw: Can someone explain me what's the point of the wood log on the T-100 in RL?

The backpacks on the pacific vehicles are incorrect. They are MTP instead of jungle camo.

• Like 1

I think bags on Armored Cars should be painted as depending on their faction and camo.

18 minutes ago, R3vo said:

btw: Can someone explain me what's the point of the wood log on the T-100 in RL?

Russian tradition.

• Thanks 1

This new addition should be applied to armored vehicles in all official missions and campaigns - it would be really great! :eyeheart:

Russian tanks have had unditching logs since at least he T-34. Theory is that if you get stuck, your crew pulls the log, places it in front of or behind the tracks and reduces the approach angle to something. You drive over, return the log to its stored position, and continue on your merry way. This way, you have a better chance of being able to get yourself unstuck without having to wait for a T-34T or BTS-4 (T-55 ARV) that may never show up. I Believe The_Chieftain of Wargaming NA explained it in his T-34 episode.

Must've not been the most enjoyable task once you get to the T-64 and T-72 when the autoloader purged the human loader and sometimes even the gunner as well :tounge_o:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, the "unditching beam" goes as far back as Mk.1 Tank from World War One (back then, it really was a rectangular wooden beam). All Soviet tanks tend to carry it, it's much better than on Leopard, where if you get stuck you have to go and chop down the nearest tree of sufficient size with a small axe that is a part of the tank's equipment, then drag it back to the tank. :) It's not even that difficult to handle, from what I've seen on videos.

14 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

It's much better than on Leopard, where if you get stuck you have to go and chop down the nearest tree of sufficient size with a small axe that is a part of the tank's equipment, then drag it back to the tank. :) It's not even that difficult to handle, from what I've seen on videos.

Except the leopard doesn't really get stuck that fast unless you're doing something really wrong, and considering the extra weight a log really wouldn't help, you need another leo, that's why they come in packs ;)

The log itself is a time consuming thing.

More efficent is use of ARV's.

Of course it's more efficient, but when the log is there and an ARV isn't, it suddenly becomes godsend. :) Not to mention it really doesn't take all that much time, it's not a half-a-day operation.

33 minutes ago, scavenjer said:

Except the leopard doesn't really get stuck that fast unless you're doing something really wrong, and considering the extra weight a log really wouldn't help, you need another leo, that's why they come in packs ;)

Russian tanks don't get stuck so easily, either. Still, I remember a Leo tanker telling a story in which they did managed to do just that during an exercise (and promptly went on a hike to find a tree to chop down), so it's apparently still a problem.

Any tank can stuck in mud, and if crew is dumb enough not to keep attention to the terrain around them, they can get stuck very easy. There is no such thing as ground vehicles that don't get stuck easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

Still, I remember a Leo tanker telling a story in which they did managed to do just that during an exercise (and promptly went on a hike to find a tree to chop down), so it's apparently still a problem.

What if they are in the desert, and the nearest thing is a cactus :dontgetit: poor leopard :dontgetit:

• Like 1

Given the theaters that modern conflicts take place in, they'd be very lucky to have a cactus around. :) It would probably do, in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to be the gunner or loader on that tank (you need the driver to drive out, and of course the commander wouldn't be handling a cactus himself :) )... That said, tanks generally get stuck in mud, ditches or when trying to drive over something just a little too high. Deserts are rather deficient in either. Russia, with its infamous spring/autumn "raspustitsa" (what, did you think you were good just because you're not trying to invade in winter? Well, this is actually worse than the winter itself), on the other hand, has a tendency to turn into exactly the kind of bog that takes a log to get out of.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:29 AM, Hvymtal said:

I think the ammo in the Prowler's bed was to balance the armed version against the unarmed version, giving you a tactical/gameplay/balance reason to choose one over the other and balance against the Qilin as the Prowler arguably has more useful firepower with the Caliber .50 and the SPMG. The armed Prowler gives you that .50, the Qilin arguably just takes the squad's Zafir you'll already have in the gunner seat anyway and increases the rate of fire. Furthermore a fully manned Prowler with two more SPMGs in the rear passenger seats definitely already has enough firepower

It's only a question of balance in PvP, even then that's probably a public server consideration.

For the rest of us it's a logistics issue, not a balance one. The firepower of LSVs is partially meaningless in an armed transport role, since they're death traps really. But again, this is why i suggested it be a customisation option. PvP servers can keep the "balance" aspects of things, for the rest of us making community missions it allows us to use the armed prowler without having to modify our ORBAT much. Heck even one more seat would do, but the option to have 6 seats in total would be dandy.

(Similarly, we can't really use the MRAPs either because of the 4-seat limitation. RHS MRAPs like the M1237 would be excellent for us, but we run mod-free...)

• Like 2

will the camouflage net to burn? when a projectile hits a tank

1 hour ago, asys said:

will the camouflage net to burn? when a projectile hits a tank

No. They get destroyed though, piece by piece :)

Besides, I don't think they are particularly flammable in real life.

• Like 1

I know you've added nice camo nets and stuff but... would it be too much to ask if we could get something like this? 

Spoiler

strf-9040B-granris-1024x576.jpg

or 

Spoiler

tumblr_o44nhrkok81tj31v2o1_500-jpg.11928

That'd be awesome. 

(I just want my own personal bush to drive around in) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Might take up too much render processing to be worth it, you'd have to do it 3D to get the proper effect or it'll look weird. Arma 3 is a b***h to run as it is

Can the new armor modeling and extended parameters be applied to other than ground/armored vehicles?
I'm just wondering if someone could model up the armored bathtub that the A10 Cockpit sits in to give it that much more resiliency in say, the Wipeout or any other A10 mods?

i think this new system, once it gets finalized and modders figure it out, will help to extend the life of Arma 3 and mods quite a bit.

4 hours ago, ski2060 said:

Can the new armor modeling and extended parameters be applied to other than ground/armored vehicles?
I'm just wondering if someone could model up the armored bathtub that the A10 Cockpit sits in to give it that much more resiliency in say, the Wipeout or any other A10 mods?

I dont think you understand what the changed damage model is about. Armor modelling and penetration was always in vanilla A3, and is quite good (but only for purely kinetic projectiles). New is only a second method how to distribute hitlocations for damage counting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can anyone confirm that somethings wrong with the Marid? Customising it change's its paint for example.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, R3vo said:

Can anyone confirm that somethings wrong with the Marid?

I can't reproduce that for me.

["Arma 3","Arma3",181,144418,"Development",true,"Windows","x64"]

New Marid variants have incorrect Simple Object configuration ... looks like they need some config work in general ^

E0C1669AD0D5B0502FB45E06B452BDFF8BB49BEC

^ thats this variant:   o_t_apc_wheeled_02_rcws_v2_ghex_f     <----- needs ghex livery as well

On 03.03.2018 at 4:22 PM, R3vo said:

Can anyone confirm that somethings wrong with the Marid? Customising it change's its paint for example.

Yes. In the editor is not available for vehicles - all the color change settings that are available in the garage.

In the garage there is a problem, when changing the color of vehicles, the dependence of the color of protection is lost.

5 hours ago, lex__1 said:

Yes. In the editor is not available for vehicles - all the color change settings that are available in the garage.

Would be nice if all colours would also be available in Eden, similar to how it is in the Garage. That way we don't need to replace a default NATO tank with a pacific one just to change its camo.

Edit: Nevermind, I've just noticed that the pacific colour for nato vehicles is also not available in the Virtual Garage. :icon_confused:

• Like 1