kllrt

Tanks - Armored vehicles customization

In today's Dev-Branch we've added an ability to customize the appearance of all vanilla armored vehicles. It is possible to do it via the Virtual Garage and in Eden Editor.

The customization not only brings new ways to give your vehicle unique appearance, but it also affects the durability of your vehicle. Cage armor will protect you against RPG rounds, and camo net will make you less visible in Thermal Imaging.

D5NUzyl.gif

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

To everyone who thinks "eh, just a cage?" ... this thing has a damage model and can get blown off. :D

1JcPNwt.png

• Like 9

Will it be possible to modify the camouflage net directly in the game? Like BW3:

• Like 1

How can we customize the tanks in the editor? 
Huge +1 from me, the tanks actually look the part and are finally customizable to mission specs!

2 minutes ago, scavenjer said:

How can we customize the tanks in the editor? 

You need to go into the Garage Arsenal.

2 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

You need to go into the Garage Arsenal.

Thanks, but where is that in the editor ? >.< I know how to do it in the virtual test world but not in the editor 

1 minute ago, scavenjer said:

Thanks, but where is that in the editor ? >.< I know how to do it in the virtual test world but not in the editor 

Right click vehicle. Go to Edit appearance (has a garage symbol next to it)

Just now, Strike_NOR said:

Right click vehicle. Go to Edit appearance (has a garage symbol next to it)

Ohhhh right, ofcourse!
I was looking in the wrong spot xD

Right, tested all the different modifications, couple things of note: the Kuma and the tanks themselves have fairly limited options as opposed to the Mora and Kamysh, (same for the AA version of these), It would be amazing to see more camos (NATO camo for kuma?) and more optional stuff like ERA modifications.

So far, looks absolutely amazing though!

2 hours ago, kllrt said:

and camo net will make you less visible in Thermal Imaging.

Maaaybe even affect PCML and Titan lock? :D

(PCML because it is visual camo too...although that may be complicated - a tank with green camo would still be conspicuous in a desert but less in a forest)

2 hours ago, SuicideKing said:

PCML because it is visual camo too

Technically speaking. The real life counterpart of the PCML (the MBTLAW or NLAW) is not continuously guided. It actually behaves a lot like tank FCS currently does ingame. You are supposed to track the target for 3 seconds while ranging it with a laser. This angular movement and range is fed to the missile 'guidance unit' and then fired. The missile exits the launcher and immediately corrects its course to a predicted impact point. Once it flies over the target, optical and magnetic sensors detonate the missile. 

In ArmA, the missile itself acts exactly like this in terms of flight path, but the lockon feature is a compromise as neither the missile or launching unit have a camera (irl). The visual model of the PCML missile in arma does not have a seeker either.

Would be cool if BI pulled off this feature, as it can't be fooled by popping smoke, but changing speed/course will make it miss.

• Like 2

Things to note:

1. : the camo nets do not effect thermal as much as they probably should.
  2. : the SLAT armour gets destroyed too quickly (1 RPG) it would be better if it took 2 or 3 rockets depending on type or size.
  3. : the ERA gets destroyed by HE all over the tanks, also isn't the Varsuk in specific supposed to have ERA on the "bottom" of the turret? https://imgur.com/a/AKXuk
  4. : there is no description on rockets or missiles stating what kind of warhead they have (HE, HEAT or tandem HEAT)
Edited by scavenjer
Woops wrong thread D:

@Grumpy Old Man

Maybe Grumpy can port his in game aircraft load out editor to work with the ground vehicles.

His aircraft load out editor is really nice.

Reed

SLAT armor tends to get deformed more than destroyed outright (although 2-3 warheads to a single piece could make it fall off, I suppose):

• Like 2

This is super good stuff!

Things:

- The Scorcher's camo net has a raised area for the ammunition cases on the front of the turret, regardless of whether the cases are actually present or not

- NATO Pacific vehicles having different camo nets is awesome! Except for the Scorcher and M2A1 Slammer, which have the same pale green net on both the Mediterranean and Pacific versions. Be nice if they could have the brown/woodland distinction like the others.

- A few vehicles have mislabelled options. For example, the Gorgon has a "Bags (Turret)" option, but it actually places a sleeping mat in the rack on the rear of the hull.

- Camo nets for MRAPs and LSVs (maybe even trucks) would be super cool, though I know it's unlikely.

• Like 3

Customization for the Hunter and Strider specially would be awesome. Removing the tarp on the back of the former, or draping a camo net over the reconnaissance-oriented Strider.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dragon01 said:

SLAT armor tends to get deformed more than destroyed outright (although 2-3 warheads to a single piece could make it fall off, I suppose):

This kind of deformation in the image is more the result of careless driving than anything

Possibly why it was ineffective when a warhead did strike it

• Like 2

Some feedback and a small wishlist:

-T100 Varsuk needs rear projection SLAT armor option

zsgBkFK.png

*for inspiration

Spoiler

zaschita_proekcii_tanka.jpg

-Strider, Ifrit and M-ATV are ought to have the same options since they effectively are LAR - Light Armored Recon, so thermal/visual camo is a must + SLAT option for urban/COIN ops.

*some inspiration

Spoiler

armored-vehicle-dutch-army-fennek-armour

Fennek-IW17.jpg

800px-thumbnail.jpg

• Like 7

Holy shit yes! This is great!

One quick question @kllrt, will there be documentation coming with this feature so modders can readily add it to their vehicles? 

i really like the new options you added. just wondering, do you plan to add some pacific jungle camo for the NATO vehicles this time around? I think many people myself included were a little disapointed when NATO didn't get proper vehicle camo for Tanoa.

• Like 6

Altogether looking nice.

Just a heads up; I noticed that the Kamysh Jungle version currently uses the desert camo nets.