mrmark

New Terrain - Montella Terrain mod (Inspired by Southern Italy)

MONTELLA TERRAIN MOD

============================================================================================================================================================================================================================

387V6oY.png

============================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Hello everyone,

Its been more than two yeard since I started this project and I think it is time to make it public and breathe a sigh of relief. I hope  you will enjoy every piece of it, just like i did making it.

The Terrain is inspired by a mountainous region in Campania (Italy) south of Naples, yes it’s not an island. The vibe is the same as in “Chernarus” but with a touch of Italian Culture. The map is a scale 1: 1 with the real areas (Parco Regionale Dei Monti Picentini - Irpinia). It is essentially a big valley between two large mountains “Verteglia” and “Laceno” both with their points of interest, towns and much more. The valley has 3 big towns: the most important “Montella”, then “Bagnoli” and “Cassano”, two of which have already been completed. Also, an entire section has been removed to create an area that actually does not exist in real life, the “Irpinian Sea”. Being a rural area there are not many roads that connect the town easily therefore you will have to cross rivers and ride on top of high cliffs and mountains.

The map uses at its best the Arma 3 assets both the vanilla and the Tanoa ones also, we imported some from Arma 2 and other mods.

Update: Terrain is still Work in Progress

The terrain is now in a condition i feel many of you can consider "playable".

This does not mean that the mod is completed or that it represent a finished product, it still is a Work In Progress.

You can download the mod from the workshop here:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053485750/myworkshopfiles/

Latest Video:

Spoiler

Montella Town

Mf7p2nU.jpg

hMCksZ8.jpg

Cassano Town

IexSUno.jpgXuoSt3H.jpgW2RiF0j.jpg

Road sp164 (connects the two side of the map)

AmKVebe.jpg

Irpinian Sea

lWpUXo2.jpg

- Object count (up to February 2018) is 2.321.126

- Map size is 10240x10240m
- Grid size is 2048 cells
- Cell size is 5m circa

- Sat/Mask size is 15360px

- Citys and Villages 6

- Airports 2

Spoiler

Real life Comparison

OJHQxnU.jpg0wXoCGW.jpg

Completed Task:

- Towns: “Montella” and “Cassano” with their surroundings.

- All the areas covered by trees are completed.

- 20 km of rivers.

- Almost all of the roads are completed and connected.

- Custom highway that joins the two sides of the map.

- Custom handmade “satellite map”.

- Custom “mask map”.

- All configs are written and ready.

- A test server with a Custom made Exile Mission is fully functional.

To do list:

- Second largest city “Bagnoli”.

- Small city on “Laceno”.

- Harbor and its surroundings.

- Fields and houses to fill the areas between each town.

- A lot of small adjustments in cities like light-poles benches garbage’s bin and many other small details.

I regularly post updates on my twitter and my YouTube channel and sometimes Stream at:

https://twitter.com/MontellaTerrain

https://www.youtube.com/user/avatar1924

https://www.twitch.tv/mistermark

My Workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198053485750/myworkshopfiles/

If you want to contribute and help with the project you are welcome to Support the Team at: 

YdT9Vmj.gif

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=22T9PSBBVQD2U

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Wow! Nice job! Wife and I were in that region a few years ago and you certainly captured the feel of the area.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

This looks really nice!

Can the AI handle driving on this map and can foot AI path find their way around in the cities?

One thing about filling in the country side between cities and towns, make sure you don't over do it. It's nice if there are areas of wilderness to create  missions in, too many maps have such bad urban sprawl that there really are no forest areas, Tanoa being one of the worst offenders (walk 50 to 100 meters in any direction and you hit a road or house.) Being as this map is based on real terrain however, if the area it's set in really is saturated by housing then of course that's different and makes sense.

Looking forward to this, it really good!

• Like 1

would you please make the highway like a border such as in this clip at 1:47 and 3:44 where you can see the fences on the side of the highway? 

28 minutes ago, hybridcobra said:

would you please make the highway like a border such as in this clip at 1:47 and 3:44 where you can see the fences on the side of the highway?

-snip-

Pretty sure that would mean he'd have to go back and redesign a patch of area to look like that or similar to it, along with making custom props, etc...

Something like that should be considered at the beginning of making a mod and not near the end, especially with terrains because they aren't as simple as a new uniform config.

Just now, Victruso said:

Pretty sure that would mean he'd have to go back and redesign a patch of area to look like that or similar to it, along with making custom props, etc...

Something like that should be considered at the beginning of making a mod and not near the end, especially with terrains because they aren't as simple as a new uniform config.

i didn't mean he had to make custom props, just work with CUP assets, etc. but i've never made a map but if this was added i'd play it for hours on end. 

This looks great, awesome job so far mrmark! :thumb:

The compare to IRL is sweet!

Waiting for this one for sure.

hybridcobra: It is better to keep assets vanilla or use custom made for the map, not have massive addons as dependencies IMHO. 

• Like 1

my only weakness... beautiful terrains with mountains on em!! this is awesome!! looking forward to the release! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sputnik monroe said:

This looks really nice!

Can the AI handle driving on this map and can foot AI path find their way around in the cities?

One thing about filling in the country side between cities and towns, make sure you don't over do it. It's nice if there are areas of wilderness to create  missions in, too many maps have such bad urban sprawl that there really are no forest areas, Tanoa being one of the worst offenders (walk 50 to 100 meters in any direction and you hit a road or house.) Being as this map is based on real terrain however, if the area it's set in really is saturated by housing then of course that's different and makes sense.

Looking forward to this, it really good!

Thanks for the comment and the advice ;)

I tried a AI-patrol plugin on the test Exile server, and it seemed to me that it works great.

However probably it wont work perfectly in every section of the big town (Montella).

And about the country side, you are perfectly right, however as you sad it is 1:1 scale so it not easy. We already tried to cut some parts, making it less realistic but more enjoyable and with higher performance.

Anyway there are many areas of wilderness i think you will love. The reality is that they are not so interesting to see thas why there are not many images.

Maybe in the near future I will post an entire video showcasing only the beauty of the Italian nature and wilderness in the map.

• Like 3

Now that's some beautiful countryside to drive in! When this is released I'll cancel everything else and spend a week as a virtual tourist :)

And you even managed to include a river and a lake! I though that wasn't doable in Arma 3. Learn something new every day, I guess :D

• Like 3

the greens in the satmap are looking too dark and in terms of RGB theres way too much blue and not enough red, it looks like a dark teal almost and that not only clashes with your grass and foliage since theyre more of a red-ish green, but generally looks a bit unnatural. I also kind of dislike the choice to use those Arma 1 houses and would have replaced them with Arma 3 and malden ones, because the old ones look dated and their styling is inconsistent with the others. just some constructive criticisms, everything else is very very well executed though and I highly look forward to this release.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, wsxcgy said:

the greens in the satmap are looking too dark and in terms of RGB theres way too much blue and not enough red, it looks like a dark teal almost and that not only clashes with your grass and foliage since theyre more of a red-ish green, but generally looks a bit unnatural. I also kind of dislike the choice to use those Arma 1 houses and would have replaced them with Arma 3 and malden ones, because the old ones look dated and their styling is inconsistent with the others. just some constructive criticisms, everything else is very very well executed though and I highly look forward to this release.

You are 100% right with arma 1 assets, they looks outdated and also are not enterable, however with such a big city, arma 3 does not give many choices, it only has a few type of houses. For example every section of Kavala looks identical to me, taking ways realism and variety. A few weeks back i started using apex assets and replacing some of the old ones. However in Italy, in towns build on high slopes, houses are all connected without having space between them, and here comes very usefull using those not enterable assets as you can see in the second town with the big castle shown in the video.

Regarding to the Satmap, i tried many times adjusting the colors but its hard because everything but the green areas looks fine to me, this makes it hard to change all the colours. Making the green areas look great makes everyting else unrealistic.

Anyway ill try my best to improve it and look into the RGB stuff.

Finally a challenging comment, thank you ;)

• Like 2

Astonishing, I'm shocked by this! The variety is incredible. The Arma 1 assets choice, even though they look subpar, seems necessary for the moment, considering performance on such big towns (seriously lacking in existing terrains) and variety. Nonetheless you should include Malden assets, maybe I missed it but I didn't see any.  Also like the fact that it is not an island, there are way too many of those, especially in small maps. Only thing I didn't like are the water areas, those rocks, the texture of the sloped terrain and the water itself look cartoonish, that is a frequent problem in arma terrains. I wonder if you use lots of tall grass around the water it makes it look better, I don't know. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrmark said:

Regarding to the Satmap, i tried many times adjusting the colors but its hard because everything but the green areas looks fine to me, this makes it hard to change all the colours. Making the green areas look great makes everyting else unrealistic.

Anyway ill try my best to improve it and look into the RGB stuff.

yeah, I understand how that can be difficult without messing up everything else. not sure what image editor you use, but I know that in paint.NET if you hold shift while selecting regions with the magic wand tool, it will only select everything of that color in the image. you could then copy that selection in to a new layer on top, and then modify that layer, only changing things within the color range of your choosing. if the edges of the colors get too sharp and defined after the color change, you could try duplicating the color-fixed layer so there's two, and then blur the lower one so the color blends better. after that just merge all the layers down and save.

Now this is an awesome piece of work.  The attention to detail is fantastic.  It feels right too, very atmospheric.

I don't want to fight a war on this island.

I want to find a beautiful Italian woman and live out my days strolling through the rolling hills and picturesque streets. :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SnakeDocc said:

Can you confirm this won't have any other mod requirements, ie cup.

It only requires Cup - Core

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, SnakeDocc said:

Dam thought "imported" meant all the Arma 2 stuff was part of the mod

That would be quite a lot of work to make part of one single download. Much easier to use CUP, unless of course you don't like CUP.