WBshCY6.png

Hey!
Today I want to announce our latest project, the "Advanced Combat Animations" mod, by "our" I mean Mihal, Maximili and me.

This project has been a Team effort from the beginning on and this team has brought this mod that far, that we can finally share this with you guys.

So what is this mod even about?

This mod adds many new Animations to be used in PvP or even PvE Combat.

Many of these Animations are from an Arma 2 mod, called "SMK" by Smookie, he did an awesome job on these animations, but sadly he's not active in the Community anymore.

So we decided to bring his mod back alive in Arma 3, but this mod won't be a straight port of his mod, we are adding new animations and features, building up upon his mod from Arma 2.

What's the current Status and ETA of a release?

Well, we've been working on this for several weeks now and we only got a few issues to fix.

Once these Issues are solved we will release this mod on the official Forums, Armaholic and Steam Workshop.

We are aiming for a release before the end of march.

If you are interested in the development of this mod, make sure to join our Discord Server here!

Here are some screenshots:

ZrhioFN.jpg

by Eladorn

BFD93AD0F348D6E26E2ED3CC4B8B4CA67F5B1731

9F2C9E1F037EBD386E10E4D80FF585D0AB937474

A375A0ECD16A8F4FD8A179998FCC473E10F4D833

86989692794AF11CDC1772627DA2772FC849836F

More Screenshots and Videos to come!

LICENSE CLARIFICATION

To clear this up at the beginning, I was unable to reach Smookie to ask him if we are allowed to port his mod, if he somehow gets back to us, I will talk to him about this.

We are not stealing anything or trying to say that his work is ours. We highly respect him and his work.

I've talked to Bohemia Interactive about this and this was the answer:

in case a mod creator did not publish any license on its own, the work is
automatically licensed under the standard Arma 2 share-alike license (APL-SA)
by default:

https://www.bohemia.net/community/licenses

Since he did not prohibit it, you can convert the mod into Arma 3. Just please
keep in mind three things:
- The APL-SA license prohibits you from earning money from this work in any way
(accepting purely freely given donations without any counter-value is allowed).
- The APL-SA license prohibits you from porting this into anything other than
Arma games (so no DayZ, no Ylands, no GTA-anything, etc.).
- As you said, please give the credit to the original author. :)

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

Nice, looking good so far. Very, very nice to see this mod picked up and continued, was definitely one that I miss. Was wondering if something like that was ever going to make it to A3...not many people making active animations these days. You had mentioned new animations (apart from the ones ported), if you don't mind me asking, what type of animations will you guys be looking into? Any kind of non-combat animations or will it all be focused directly towards combat interactions? Anyhow, will be following this and looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for bringing it back to life.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Siege-A said:

Nice, looking good so far. Very, very nice to see this mod picked up and continued, was definitely one that I miss. Was wondering if something like that was ever going to make it to A3...not many people making active animations these days. You had mentioned new animations (apart from the ones ported), if you don't mind me asking, what type of animations will you guys be looking into? Any kind of non-combat animations or will it all be focused directly towards combat interactions? Anyhow, will be following this and looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for bringing it back to life.

The animations from SMK are just "Cover" animations, beside of those we are currently working on takedown animations, surrendering, arresting and other actions.

We will add more at a later date, but for now we want to get the core of this mod out there.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KokaKolaA3 said:

The animations from SMK are just "Cover" animations, beside of those we are currently working on takedown animations, surrendering, arresting and other actions.

We will add more at a later date, but for now we want to get the core of this mod out there.

Now you've gotten my attention.

sGdoxAo.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T. Ditch said:

Plans to port the SMK pistol switching?

We haven't planned adding this for now, but we will consider adding it in a later version. Thanks for your suggestion. 

• Like 1

Nice.  I always enjoyed the SMK animations and I know Smookie was hired by BI to do the anims for A3.  I was surprised when there was no "cover" animations.   I second the pistol switch idea, really don't get why they have characters sling the weapon on their back (with the barrel pointed up no less)

• Like 3

We have made some progress. We expect our mod to be ready for release within 3 weeks. We also have plans for more stuff like "pistol switching" for future updates.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Wow, this looks awesome. And it looks like lots of key combinations to use them, or am I wrong? :icon_biggrin:

Keep it up, guys! :icon14:

48 minutes ago, Undeceived said:

Wow, this looks awesome. And it looks like lots of key combinations to use them, or am I wrong? :icon_biggrin:

Keep it up, guys! :icon14:

Well, there are very simple key's for it, nothing too complicated :P

• Like 1

Very nice. Good to see his awesome work come to A3. Looking forward to it

We are making some last changes before we will hand out a version for our testers. 

If no major issues are discovered in this test period, we will release it in a short manner. 

• Like 2

i'm not familiar with the original work.. are these static animations for screen shots? or moving anim's that can be used with 'ambient combat animations'?

looking good either way :D

58 minutes ago, lordfrith said:

i'm not familiar with the original work.. are these static animations for screen shots? or moving anim's that can be used with 'ambient combat animations'?

looking good either way :D

That's an additional movement system which allows you to use much more advantages in combat :uzi:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maximilionus said:

That's an additional movement system which allows you to use much more advantages in combat :uzi:

well thats much cooler than either of the things i thought...

Update 05.04.2018

This is the last update before release, we've invited more testers to get more results and to not further delay the release.
We will be hosting a small TvT Event on Saturday, if you want to participate in this test, join our Discord for more information.

• Like 3

This looks amazing!

are these cover animations going to be utilized by AI also?

29 minutes ago, redarmy said:

This looks amazing!

are these cover animations going to be utilized by AI also?

No, this is something we would like to implement, but we don't have any plans to even look on how to implement it yet, AI is a quiet complicated topic and our skills are limited when it comes to scripting.

34 minutes ago, KokaKolaA3 said:

No, this is something we would like to implement, but we don't have any plans to even look on how to implement it yet, AI is a quiet complicated topic and our skills are limited when it comes to scripting.

Understandable

I remember seeing SMK and asking the author if he was planning to impliment this to Arma3 and to my sadness he said no,something to do with the new engine,so,im delighted you guys are making this,its something that really adds depth to a fundemental aspect of infantry gameplay.

good luck with the release and cheers!

• Like 1

It's been a while since we gave a status update. Just to clarify at the beginning: No, the mod is not dead.
I've been quite busy in the past few months and couldn't spend alot of my free time on this mod, the other 2 Dev's had similar situations.
We are back and we are working on it, but there has been a big change. As you might have seen in the Initial Post, SMK has no License, so I contacted BI to ask if they could tell me if we can use his work or not.
They came back to us, explaining that a mod without License, is automatically licensed under the APL-SA License. But now, a few months later, we discovered randomly that this is not the case, we are basically not allowed to edit, distribute and work upon his mod.

This is a big issue, as we originally planned to port his mod and work upon it. 
But we are not stopping here and ending the development, instead we decided to scrap what we have right now and make a similar mod, but completly from scratch. Also our MP Tests have shown that the Animations and how they work weren't giving you a big advantage, so no one really used them, meaning they would need to be remade in one way or another.

That being said, we are now looking for additional animators, who can help us make some Animations for this mod. Two of us are experienced with animations, but we also have to focus on other stuff of the mod, so Animations lack behind currently.
Those Animations aren't super complex, we have some tricks to make the animations look good, without the need of Motion Capturing.

We can't pay you, but you'll get any assistance you need when working on the animations. 

If you would like to help, but have no experience with Animations, you can join the Team and we will teach you how to do it. In the end we hope you stay and become a major part of the Team.

Interested? You can contact us via this Forum: @KokaKolaA3, @mihal190, @maximilionus. Or on our Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/bjPEB26.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4