Sign in to follow this  
flv*venom*

Wasn't there a proper SP version of Apex protocol in the making?

Hi there,

I know that Apex was meant to be a Coop campaign, but I've read somewhere that the devs wanted to do a proper SP variant as well for us few "I don't have friends who play Arma" gamers. If this project was shelved, cancelled, whatever, is it allowed to rewrite the campaign into sp? I really get the impression that the campaign could be fun, however not in the current state. 

• Like 4

Hm,

I don't know. I haven't followed this section of the forum closely for quite some time. Btw, I was just curious. Since I got my "no" and don't ask answer, I think a moderator might as well close the thread :)

Still would like to see a propper SP version too!

Player controlled AI squads and connected missions.

• Like 1

I believe they mentioned in November of 2016 they had plans to make a single player version of Apex Protocol.

Unfortunately, due to the silence from Bohemia about this push for over a year now, it may appear to be cancelled. Unless they plan on releasing this with the Tanks DLC, I don't see it coming.

Sounds like I ain't playing the Apex campaign anytime soon... :dozingoff:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haleks said:

Sounds like I ain't playing the Apex campaign anytime soon... :dozingoff:

You can in coop

Yeah, sure... But not everyone has the time for coop missions. ^^'

I was really expecting a proper SP version to enjoy that campaign - I play very little here and there, when I have the spare time and the motivation. A coop campaign simply won't do it for me : if I can't take a break, save in the middle of a long mission, or even just pause a mission, I know already I won't enjoy it...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, haleks said:

Yeah, sure... But not everyone has the time for coop missions. ^^'

I was really expecting a proper SP version to enjoy that campaign - I play very little here and there, when I have the spare time and the motivation. A coop campaign simply won't do it for me : if I can't take a break, save in the middle of a long mission, or even just pause a mission, I know already I won't enjoy it...

Yes, I started playing the campaign as a single player, and it wasn't all that great. I stopped playing the campaign, and never finished it when I read that they were going to do single player version. I have been waiting ever since.  

I wish BI would give us confirmation if they still plan to make the campaign into single player.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wiki said:

@haleks

@stburr91

If interested, we can play it in coop if you want

Thanks for the offer, its really cool for you to offer, but right now I don't have time for gaming. 

Well, we finally got an official answer, no single player Apex campaign conversion...bummer.  

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, OMAC said:

Major bummer.  Where did you hear this news?

In response to feedback, last year we commissioned an internal experiment to try and port some of the "Apex Protocol" co-op scenarios (the campaign that shipped as part of Arma 3 Apex) to a fully fleshed out single player experience. While technically this proved feasible, we found that a lot of additional work would be required, such as additional voice acting sessions and rewriting most of the scripts. Unfortunately this proved not to be possible with our current resources. For that reason, we've now formally decided to cease this effort and discontinue the development of the conversion. Of course we understand that this was something many of us would have liked to see. Still, even though it's more geared towards co-op gameplay, we believe that the Apex Protocol campaign experience in its current form is highly enjoyable.

https://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00217

Thanks.

Still, even though it's more geared towards co-op gameplay, we believe that the Apex Protocol campaign experience in its current form is highly enjoyable.

Nope it isn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ProfTournesol said:

Nope it isn't.

Why that?

Just now, Wiki said:

Why that?

In tne current state of the APEX protocol campaign, i don't enjoy it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OMAC said:

Perhaps SP campaigns will largely be a thing of the past from now on in FPS gaming...

If that is the case then me buying FPS games may also be a thing of the past.

This is disappointing news. They said one of the reasons was all the additional voice acting that would be required. i can't imagine what extra voice acting a single player version would need. Surely they just needed to add the ability to save and AI squad mates????

• Like 5

From @bis_iceman:

Sure, we could have made the MP missions somehow playable, maybe even to an acceptable degree, but in our view it would not justify the effort (because it can easily be done by skilled community scripters like yourself).

What exactly would justify the effort?

From where I stand, Tanoa only has a couple game modes : one is a coop campaign, the other one is, guess what, a MP mode quickly ported to be playable in SP.

All other terrains, including Malden, have interesting, fully fledged modes in both SP and MP. So yeah, really, what would justify the effort for a paid DLC such as Apex, I wonder?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, haleks said:

From @bis_iceman:

What exactly would justify the effort?

From where I stand, Tanoa only has a couple game modes : one is a coop campaign, the other one is, guess what, a MP mode quickly ported to be playable in SP.

All other terrains, including Malden, have interesting, fully fledged modes in both SP and MP. So yeah, really, what would justify the effort for a paid DLC such as Apex, I wonder?

There still are some usermade missions on Tanoa ;-)

I just finished re playing the east wind campaign.

After all the new mini campaigns it was nice to see the original timeline and all the locations!

Then I saw the news about the apex SP campaign.....

Such a shame I really hoped for a release of a proper SP campaign.

The original campaign is quiet open ended so the Apex campaign is really important to conclude the story!

For me the apex campaign really is a let down in SP

Could you consider to give the campaign contend to the community so it can be converted  as a Third-Party DLC?

• Like 2