pingopete

x64 always crashes on startup, x32 works everytime [ISSUE RESOLVED]

I found the solution to this crash was none of the issues below but instead running MSI Afterburner Riva Tuner, and C++ Redistributables (See Bottom Post)

About 3 months ago, I used to be able to run ARMA 3 x64 just fine. However gradually it began to crash on startup more a more frequently. At first it was only every 1 in 10 tries it would crash, then it became 1 in 5, and so on until I had to start the game 4 or 5 times before it would run without crashing when it started loading (this degradation happened over the course of 1-2 days).

I have spent literally weeks researching every solution I can find relating to startup crashes for x64 bit ARMA on the internet and have tried every solution that was suggested. I really can't face reinstalling windows just to run the x64 version of ARMA as it's the only application (and x64 application) I have that doesn't work.

ARMA 3 x32 works every single time without exception, with or without mods.

Since writing this I tried re-plugging in tons of stuff to my USB slots and managed to get one successful start with all parameters unset except for x64, and with no mods running on the dev build and on the normal build. But it was only once and I ge the same crashes since.

Once the game is up and running (when it occationally doesn't crash) it runs indefinitely without crashing.

Here are just some of the things I have tried, I can't remember every single thing though:

-Idividually tested each of my corsair DDR3 4gb Ram sticks starting up ARMA

-Verified integrity of game cache

-I have removed all mods

-Unsubscribed from all workshop content

-Reset all parameters to default

-Removed all my profile data

-changed various values in the registry that supposedly relate to x64 crashes (after x64 ceased to run not before)

-Completely reinstalled ARMA 3 from scratch with no mods

-switched to the dev build

-Checked my memories health (ram)

-Underclocked my cpu

-Tried launching with or without battleye

-Tried launching using battleeye.exe

-Updating graphics card drivers/rolling back drivers

-Creating/Removing and editing the nvidia control panel 3d settings for ARMA x64 .exe

Crash log rpt: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p6ecjmu898osqoo/arma3_x64_2018-02-12_18-58-26.rpt

Crash Log Output: http://www.mediafire.com/file/c1qjwbjk75b9628/ArmaReport_Log_20180213T102712_Pete.zip

GajcLGA.png

The image above shows the current crash messages however different messages have been displayed when it crashes before too.

The nature of the crashes:

Start ARMA 3 with x64 selected in parameters in the launcher, and no mods or other parameters selected.

ARMA 3 logo with orange loading bar displays on my desktop.

The screen then goes black for 2-3 seconds as if it's about to go into the fullscreen loading screen.

Then the crash messages pop up and the game closes back to desktop.

My current hypothesis:

-I really don't want to have to reinstall windows (this is the only application that doesn't work on my PC)

-The slow nature of the issue arising is really weird and unusual for anything software related however:..

-Almost certain this isn't Hardware related (multiple tests on Ram + CPU & GPU running at normal temps)

-95% not ARMA (fully reinstall from scratch, plus tried dev version and verified game cache)

-Could be registry related?

When you say checked your memories health?  Did you check it with a memory testing program that checks for faults in the architecture?

Remember, 32-bit exe only uses 4-8 gig of memory and the 64-bit exe will use 8 gigs and above.   

There are some free memory testing programs out there, just google it.

Be sure you are running a 64-bit version of Windows. I would at least double check to make sure. 

I had this problem for a LONG time right about BEFORE the x64 version came out and occurred even more in x64 than x32. It was memory leaks for me and you need to make sure of the following things:

• Make sure your C: or whatever HDD/SDD that the SWAPFILE is set to has ~ equal FREE HD space as you have RAM
  • Make sure you have at least 16 GB of RAM, and do a clean boot into Windows or the OS before you play ARMA. Close all background tasks such as web browsers, torrents, video and audio player and etc...
  • Make sure the HDD or SDD drive where "My Documents" folder is SET to also has a ton of free space because ARMA 3 sets and saves your profile in the "My Documents/ ARMA 3/ PROFILES" folder.  It is usually the C drive but I moved my folder to another HDD for backup purposes. The game logs the RPT file in there and can eat up space if you open and close ARMA a lot. Or just do what I do and set the -nologs checkbox in the ARMA 3 Launcher.

I previously had 16 GB of ram and still crashed out after 45 mins to 1 hour of play due to LOW HDD space for the swap file.

I have since fixed it by literally upgrading to 32 GBs of RAM. Seriously this fixed my low HDD space problem for ARMA 3 x64. Other game engines such as Unreal Engine or Photoshop has the same problem if you have LOW HDD space for the swap file or no swap file. It is just the way those engines are built and work in Windows.

Not sure if it has the same problem under Linux or Apple OSX but for Windows 7, the above fixed my problem until I upgraded my RAM.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:53 PM, swtx said:

I coincidentally have just replaced my pc due to water damage, I have 16GB of new ddr4 ram, a new processor and a new motherboard. Still the same issue.. and yes I've checked I'm on x64.

VAlken: I used to have that issue too until x64 came out then it was fixed - before these issues. But as above, I have new ram and a new cpu with more than enough memory  and still the same issue. I did try to create a new page file space but no luck still the same bug.

Does anyone know where I can find the listed cause of the crash in the .rpt as someone wrote that they found it was crashing during detecting my joysticks but I have since removed all of them and unsiatlled drivers and software with no luck D:

For 6 months or more I was pulling my remaining hair out: 64 bit builds crashed every time just after the startup splash, if running CUP. 32 bit builds worked fine regardless of mods. In desperation I disabled MSI Afterburner haven't had a 64bit +  CUP crash since. YMMV. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tpw said:

For 6 months or more I was pulling my remaining hair out: 64 bit builds crashed every time just after the startup splash, if running CUP. 32 bit builds worked fine regardless of mods. In desperation I disabled MSI Afterburner haven't had a 64bit +  CUP crash since. YMMV. 

Thanks for the advice, I tried running x64 without msi running and it actually now works about 50% of the time?! Really don't  understand what's going on on my rig but I'm now guessing it's some combination of issues, as I tried running x64 before without msi and it never worked but now since uninstalling my joysticks etc it works more often, though still getting the access violation crashes sometimes 

EDIT: Actually that seems to have done the trick, it runs all the time now with presumably some of the changes I made in the original post along with keeping msi closed. Thanks so much man! Finally I can utilize my new build to its full potential!

3 hours ago, Horus said:

@tpw  @pingopete Did you enable 64bit support service in RTSS?

Yeah mate, it's always been active. Just some combination of A3 and CUP stopped it working 6 months ago. 

3 minutes ago, tpw said:

Yeah mate, it's always been active. Just some combination of A3 and CUP stopped it working 6 months ago. 

Thats odd i have no issues with CUP and A3 on 64bit.

18 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Thats odd i have no issues with CUP and A3 on 64bit.

I figured I was an edge case, otherwise there would have been widespread anguish!

• Haha 1

So I got the issue sorted permanently doing one or more of the following: 

- Reinstalling my c++ redistributables manually with the latest ones I could find from Microsoft and force removing all the old ones

- Uninstalling riva tuner and MSI Afterburner

The official issue is now closed but for your future reference, here's the updated version of this:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T127716

Best of luck fixing your x64 issues