Omurice.

Setting the aim direction of a player

I have been looking all over and I can't find any way to set the aim of the player character. 

I need to be able to set the aiming direction of the player character to the position of an object.

So if I have a target range set up and I use cursorObject to get the Object I'm looking at and then snap the player's aim to that object and fire. Just need a way to change the aiming direction of the player.

I've just gotten BIS_fnc_dirTo to work so now I can snap my characters aim TOWARDS an object. The only problem is that this only controls the direction the character is facing but not the elevation that the character is aiming at. Edit: As it turns out, BIS_fnc_dirTo sets the aim to be slightly to the right of the target rather than dead center. So this will not work.

39 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

I have been looking all over and I can't find any way to set the aim of the player character. 

I need to be able to set the aiming direction of the player character to the position of an object.

So if I have a target range set up and I use cursorObject to get the Object I'm looking at and then snap the player's aim to that object and fire. Just need a way to change the aiming direction of the player.

16 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

I've just gotten BIS_fnc_dirTo to work so now I can snap my characters aim TOWARDS an object. The only problem is that this only controls the direction the character is facing but not the elevation that the character is aiming at. Edit: As it turns out, BIS_fnc_dirTo sets the aim to be slightly to the right of the target rather than dead center. So this will not work.

Being able to control a players aim via scripts would make it possible to allow aimbots, which also seems to be the case in your question.

No aimbots in arma, move along.

Cheers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Being able to control a players aim via scripts would make it possible to allow aimbots, which also seems to be the case in your question.

No aimbots in arma, move along.

Cheers

True. 

For those who read this that aren't trying to make an aimbot: Snapping the camera view around is jarring and bad design. If you want the player to look at a certain spot use visual cues instead. DrawIcon3D is a good place to start. 

• Like 1

I figured that I would get a reply similar to that. I'm creating a spreadsheet with every little bit of detail that I can get into firearms and I want to get the MOA accuracy of the guns. I can't do that without being sure that the gun is pointed at the same place every time. It's not that I'm looking to create an aimbot for me to use online or anything and quiet frankly the prejudice is irritating.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

I figured that I would get a reply similar to that. I'm creating a spreadsheet with every little bit of detail that I can get into firearms and I want to get the MOA accuracy of the guns. I can't do that without being sure that the gun is pointed at the same place every time. It's not that I'm looking to create an aimbot for me to use online or anything and quiet frankly the prejudice is irritating.

You should have started with that then. You would have received a better reception.  :) The answer's the same though. Maybe use an AI to do your gun holding instead. 

Just now, mrcurry said:

You should have started with that then. :) The answer's the same though.

I figured I wouldn't have to since this is an area dedicated to scripting help. Regardless of any of that I do know that it is possible due to aimbot scripts already existing. Some of which teleport the bullet to the target. Some of which autoaim. I can go look around for a specific aimbot script or use one of the several open source c++ aimbot mods available for arma 3 to do what I want. I would much rather just have someone help me here which is an area dedicated to helping others with SQF scripting.

18 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

I figured I wouldn't have to since this is an area dedicated to scripting help. Regardless of any of that I do know that it is possible due to aimbot scripts already existing. Some of which teleport the bullet to the target. Some of which autoaim. I can go look around for a specific aimbot script or use one of the several open source c++ aimbot mods available for arma 3 to do what I want. I would much rather just have someone help me here which is an area dedicated to helping others with SQF scripting.

I updated me previous post just as you posted. There are no script commands that will do what you ask. A workaround or a different testbed is required if you want to do it the "legitimate" way. Like I suggested above it might be possible to use an AI to do the shooting. 

If that fails take multiple measurements, the average result might not be as accurate but will  get you closer to the actual value. Consider that you have things like breathing and other "human" effects simulated in the game which might skew your results. 

Btw, it always helps to specify your intentions when asking for assistance. Those that help you can better understand what you need and offer deeper insights and alternative solutions that you might not even have considered. It's just good communication. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrcurry said:

You should have started with that then. You would have received a better reception.  :) The answer's the same though. Maybe use an AI to do your gun holding instead. 

I've actually tried to make an AI do the shooting but the only way to force an AI to fire at a target is when they are inside of a vehicle with fireAtTarget. The only way to make them shoot while on foot, to my knowledge, is forceWeaponFire. ForceWeaponFire does not allow you to specify a target or direction to shoot in.

18 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

Well you registered a few days ago, dropped a three liner post without essential info and what looked like an aimbot attempt covered by some shooting range excuse.

Next time put as much info as possible to the OP.

11 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

Exactly, there's already plenty of harmful (for MP) stuff out there, so no need to further extend that arsenal.

As to your MOA attempt I'd say using an AI with all skills set to max, weaponDirection used to track any deviations of aim and making the AI fire at the target should be a start,

since aiming deviation would be extremely small using AI with all sliders dialed to max.

I'm using AI gunners for my own artillery script, allowing to call in low angle fire.

AI are incredibly fast when aiming and the precision higher than what has to be a tenth milrad.

When trying to match their aiming direction with rotary wheels on a hotas set as fine as possible it usually takes me 20-30 seconds to aim with the same precision that AI turret gunners can.

Arty shells fired that way land on the target location 100% of the time.

I believe the same to be true for AI and handhold weapons.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Well you registered a few days ago, dropped a three liner post without essential info and what looked like an aimbot attempt covered by some shooting range excuse.

Next time put as much info as possible to the OP.

Exactly, there's already plenty of harmful (for MP) stuff out there, so no need to further extend that arsenal.

As to your MOA attempt I'd say using an AI with all skills set to max, weaponDirection used to track any deviations of aim and making the AI fire at the target should be a start,

since aiming deviation would be extremely small using AI with all sliders dialed to max.

I'm using AI gunners for my own artillery script, allowing to call in low angle fire.

AI are incredibly fast when aiming and the precision higher than what has to be a tenth milrad.

When trying to match their aiming direction with rotary wheels on a hotas set as fine as possible it usually takes me 20-30 seconds to aim with the same precision that AI turret gunners can.

Arty shells fired that way land on the target location 100% of the time.

I believe the same to be true for AI and handhold weapons.

Cheers

The only way for me to get an AI to shoot and to test the MOA is by setting two enemy soldiers, one with AI disabled and the other set to fire when I told it to. I have a model that is the target. It's the target because it has inch markings on it so I can actually find out what the measurements are. I can not force an AI to fire at an object, only units. Also an SQF aimbot script is so out of date it would literally never work in a server. You can't blame me for you jumping to conclusions.

I think doTarget will make AI aim on anything you desire. I used that to get AI to aim on target at a simulated firing range. The forceWeaponFire cmd is your friend to get them to shoot. 

Like grumpy said max the skills. 

7 minutes ago, Omurice. said:

You can't blame me for you jumping to conclusions.

Yes we can, it's up to the person who wants a message delivered to make sure that the message is received and understood correctly. That is a core basis for good communication. 

• Like 2

Just now, mrcurry said:

Yes we can, it's up to the person who wants a message delivered to make sure that the message is received and understood correctly. That is a core basis for good communication. 

Or you could take my post for face value and not immediately assume that I have malintentions.

Spoiler

csJ1LPE.png

Spoiler

tiu2xkF.jpg

Just now, Omurice. said:

Or you could take my post for face value and not immediately assume that I have malintentions.

Reveal hidden contents

csJ1LPE.png

Reveal hidden contents

tiu2xkF.jpg

And you still fail to see how it would be a good idea to put that stuff into your first post?

Folks these days...

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Just now, Grumpy Old Man said:

And you still fail to see how it would be a good idea to put that stuff into your first post?

Folks these days...

Cheers

I did put pretty much exactly what I was going to do in the first post. But no I didn't add EXACTLY WHAT AND WHEN AND WHY. So therefore I am clearly trying to make an aimbot to ruin all of the Arma community. Muahahaha. If only my dastardly plan hadn't been ruined by you meddling kids.

I haven't played around with these things, but I guess you could attach the unit a dummy object to freeze it in place. Remove recoil (setUnitRecoilCoefficient), remove sway (setCustomAimCoef), and then manipulate the direction of the object/player.

I don't know how will you match the direction with the target though. Perhaps by first aiming manually by hand and then attaching.

This is pretty much the closest I'm going to get. As much of a salty bitch that I am I do appreciate the help.

shooter doTarget Target; shooter forceWeaponFire["hgun_Rook40_F","Single"]

Only problem is that I have to manually switch the weapons of the AI using classnames. And I can replace the classname in forceWeaponFire with currentWeapon.

Spoiler

5ZMhlHo.jpg

• Like 1

Nice work! I hope you release your project to the community at some point. It's off to a great start. We love data.

If you are looking for raw MOA and other weapon data (ie locked in a vice, no sway, environment, etc); you can just look at the in-game config values.

Your way looks more fun though. Organic.

1 minute ago, Von Quest said:

Nice work! I hope you release your project to the community at some point. It's off to a great start. We love data.

If you are looking for raw MOA and other weapon data (ie locked in a vice, no sway, environment, etc); you can just look at the in-game config values.

Your way looks more fun though. Organic.

I do prefer to do things by hand. I figured there were values out there that would show me the accuracy of each weapon. However the way that Arma handles bullet drift intrigued me. It seems to do most if not all of the bullet drift at the muzzle instead of during travel. So here I am testing that.