short142

How to keep Maps from being run on other Servers?

Currently spend countless hours Editing Maps to be run on our dedicated servers.  Have notices in-map and in the mission file notating our maps are not for redistribution, publication, or use on any other servers without our written consent.  All of our maps are made with objects, terrains, vehicles, etc available in-game.  All scripts are available in the public domain and the authors have been given credit.  My question is, how do we keep others from simply taking the edits we have done and putting the maps on their server as if they are their own?  

i think you are talking about mission files (scenarios) not maps (islands), make your server private (password protected) or create missions as "addons"

On 2/8/2018 at 5:14 AM, short142 said:

Currently spend countless hours Editing Maps to be run on our dedicated servers.  Have notices in-map and in the mission file notating our maps are not for redistribution, publication, or use on any other servers without our written consent.  All of our maps are made with objects, terrains, vehicles, etc available in-game.  All scripts are available in the public domain and the authors have been given credit.  My question is, how do we keep others from simply taking the edits we have done and putting the maps on their server as if they are their own?  

-serverMod startup parameter, from:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters

Put your valuable work into the addon and keep it outside your arma 3 directory (use absolute path in startup parameter to point to the mod file), and ensure only you have access to the hardware.

thats the safest way.

• Like 1

But then, you should ask yourself why.

If you make money with that content in any way, you are breaking EULA. Which makes it an illegal act.

If you make content just for yourself, you are one of those who are turning the community to waste. A community where every modder had one goal: to make the game greater every time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crielaard said:

But then, you should ask yourself why.

If you make money with that content in any way, you are breaking EULA. Which makes it an illegal act.

If you make content just for yourself, you are one of those who are turning the community to waste. A community where every modder had one goal: to make the game greater every time. 

this is just bullshit though ;)

publish = other servers steal = your server has 25 players instead of 50 = your mod project is weaker due to less play test/player time/etc.

also server cost money. 50 player = 5 donate = cover cost month to month. publish your work, other servers copy, 25 player = 2 donate = cant cover cost = no server.

on paper it sounds nice to have share-bear community, but in the real world, there are 2 of us discussing this while there are 50 people who will lurk/leech from the conversation and contribute nothing. server/MP community works the same way, and if you dont meet next billing cycle, your server shuts down.

Imagine if Sa-Matra publishes KotH freely. 100 servers would open up and it would look like Exile, with ~5-10 players on 50 servers having shit experience. Without sharing, there are 50 players on 10 servers = fun experience.

If you are skilled at modding and value your work, and have run servers and know how scummy the arma MP community is beneath the "mature milsim" facade, you would think twice before publishing anything.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2018 at 7:14 PM, short142 said:

authors have been given credit.  My question is, how do we keep others from simply taking the edits we have done and putting the maps on their server as if they are their own?  

I read that as

"I'm happy to use content and property from others, and hide it away after I've changed it. I've given credit to the original authors which makes that OK."

• Like 5

The fact that you feel the need to do this is my whole point. 

In the real world, someone is making money from it this way.

but lets not turn this in a discussion other than the OP. I just advice not to do it. If people want to, they will extract your content anyway. 

20 hours ago, Crielaard said:

The fact that you feel the need to do this is my whole point. 

In the real world, someone is making money from it this way.

but lets not turn this in a discussion other than the OP. I just advice not to do it. If people want to, they will extract your content anyway. 

how would you extract a script execVM'ed serverside from mod files stored outside the arma 3 directory?

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2018 at 10:30 PM, fn_Quiksilver said:

-serverMod startup parameter, from:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters

Put your valuable work into the addon and keep it outside your arma 3 directory (use absolute path in startup parameter to point to the mod file), and ensure only you have access to the hardware.

thats the safest way.

Thank you very much!

Why do I recognise your name? Are you connected to the ip thief, eula ignorer, server operator who charges for access in contravention of monetization and bans anyone who questions you and general despicable user called short apx?