x3kj

Documentaries Chernobyl 1986

Hey guys, i'm very curious/interested in the reactor accident of chernobyl in 1986 since quite a while (not only, but also thanks to S.t.a.l.k.e.r).

I recently stumbled upon some very nice video snippets from the time, with commentary by one of the leading scientists during liquidation work on the roof (if i got that right) - Walerij Starodumow .

Thought i'd share. But also, i'd be interested to know if anyone of you may have found other good documentaries/ video treasures somewhere

This is the more "commercial" one. That channel several more snippets, some with direct commentary by him - very much worth watching imo (all have subtitles in english at least).

(please no american TV style spectacle-drama or reenactment BS...)

• Like 4

I watched a lot of Chernobyl videos in 2016/17 when I worked on my last campaign since part of it is in Chernobyl Zone. One channel I recommend is Bionerd23 which I used as research. She spent a lot of time exploring the area, visiting reactors, and talking about radiation.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bionerd23

• Like 1

I found another short video (in russian) - i dont understand what it says, but there are a few original recordings you don't normally see

• Like 1

Little known fact:

Although most of the fallout happened in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, some 4-5% of the total fallout landed in very widespread areas of Norway. As a direct result of the incident, about 550 tons of reindeer, and 2300 tons of sheep had to be scrapped (yep, euthanized). Even in 2014, certain mushrooms which are susceptible to extract radioactive cesium from the earth showed very high levels of radioactivity. These mushrooms are eaten by certain animals, which in turn may be eaten by humans. So there are still issues related to the incident in 1986.

Says a little about how dangerous nuclear fallout can be.

• Sad 1