Hello,

In bits and pieces I've been working on a way to breach walls (stand-alone walls, not building building walls). I think I'm at the end of the process, and part of it includes a way to indicate to the player whether they are far enough away from the charge to avoid any negative effects. I've used two objects to achieve this, a balloon or a mobile phone, and while I prefer the phone I figured I'd canvas the crowd, and see if anyone had any other thoughts on how this could be done.

Balloon

Mobile Phone

Thanks.

• Like 3

This is cool Beno!  Definitely the phone.  The balloon is big immersion breaker.

Another option would be to have a little dialogue pop up in the hud with a red or green distance indicator.  It would only be present when you a place a charge, and would disappear after charge detonated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate. I had thought about using a display. I could easily make it definable by the user with a true/false param when it's initialised.

Definitely phone, like @johnnyboy says ballon is immersion breaking.

Ok, so a bit of an update. I've been working through this the past couple of days, and set up a little shoot house CQB scenario to test it out COOP.

*** Trigger warning: the drills seen in this video (and it's automatically generated thumbnail) may induce cringing, except mine. Mine are on point :icon2:

*** EDIT: video was bugged, it only played correctly if it was embedded. Playing from YouTube caused it to stop video playback after about 30s. Here's a new upload (that seems to work):

Things that have been changed/fixed since we ran the test (which was last night), and that may be apparent in the video, are:

- All players (not just host) can now breach properly (previously, non-host breach wasn't hiding the wall for anyone).

- Rubble no longer spawns when breaching shoot house walls.

- The word "DOOR" is spray painted onto walls to indicate doors, rather than using coloured phones to mark them, but that's more to do with the scenario than the wall breaching.

The peanut gallery wants randomised doors, AI locations and multi-storey takedowns with helo rappelling, so I guess that's on the agenda now to help continue testing the wall breaching. Hopefully it's almost complete. Then all that's needed is a tidy up, because at the moment the code is kinda shotgunned across 12 different sqf files in a somewhat random way.

Edited by beno_83au
Fix video.
  • Like 5

So, a little bit further down the track I've got the wall breaching complete and, as far as I can tell, bug free. The only thing left to do is to continue tidying up the files (I've almost halved the amount I was using thanks to organising things better). I've also made a few more coop demo scenarios to showcase the breaching so I'll put them up as part of the package soon hopefully. For now though, a short video of it as it stands. Nothing ground breakingly new, just everything's working properly:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AWESOME!!! My WIP Ghost Recon campaign really need that!!! Looking forward to release, mate!

• Like 2

Oh yes. I'd like to use this when it's released

• Like 1

Thanks for the help/support. Release thread is right over here.

• Like 2