Sign in to follow this  
Mowgli

Ofp and radeon 9700 pro

With OFP and the latest Radeon line of cards, there's a flashing shadows, flickering texture problem.

Has anyone found a card or driver setting that remedies this? Does anyone know the best way to bring this issue to BIS's or Codemaster's attention?

I feel its actually related to z buffer or depth rendering.

Why? The reason I say that is that if you watch a water's edge closely or look closely at the bottom of some buildings or at a road texture you see that in actuality the ground polygon is "pulsating" slightly. That is, its moving very slightly up and down nearly vertically. But the overlay texture (the ground or shadow or road texture) is not translating with it. Hence, sometimes you see the road texture, and sometimes its occluded by the ground itself, and THATs the texture you see. Hence - "flickering textures". For wall textures, it seems to be in the plane of the wall.

Any way to really tweak the depth settings in the Radeon? I've used a couple of the tweak programs out there for ATI cards.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input.

That thread, which BTW I posted in several times, does not show the solution to this problem. It actually has nothing to do with this problem.

In fact, a solution to this problem does not, as yet, exist.

But thanks for your help.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mowgli @ Dec. 07 2002,05:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, a solution to this problem does not, as yet, exist.<span id='postcolor'>

It doesn't yet but should soon.

After reading your posts we replicated the problem here and after communicating with ATI they also replicated the problem and produced a fix which will appear in an upcoming driver release.

We don't know which release this will be and the latest beta/developer drivers released before christmas do not fix the issue but it should be soon.

I'll let you know if I find out more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MartinH @ Jan. 09 2003,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We don't know which release .....<span id='postcolor'>

at that time it'll be second xmas for me... mad.gif

2Mowgli: sorry, wrong solution. I got R9700 too and now I know what are you talking about. Btw. ... it is driving me crazy...

well, it's near the end of Janurary... still no fix.

So the fix which was mentioned before, is suppose to make it into a new driver release. Wow, sure didn't make it into 3.0a on the 10th.

I don't know why I still check the forums... habit I guess. I haven't played OFP for some time now, mostly because of this problem. I could have, but something about this really annoys me. I could turn off T&L... I could get back into it and love the game. I could just accept the problem... but I don't have to. There are plenty of other sims to get into and enjoy. Who knows, maybe I will shutdown the pc for once and do something real.

Yup, I think this issue is the cause of my breaking point. I can no longer be a slave to Ati and their driver issues. Why did I spend so much on this freak'n card? Oh yah, that's right, I got it cheap from someone who couldn't play BF1942... he sold it real quick and got back his 4600. Come on FX, I am waiting for you. Help me, sooth me, leave all these driver issues behind.

As the Ati stock prices drop, I laugh, but cry because I was fooled into thing they turned things around, thought they could be more like nVidia. Sold off my shares at a loss and put the money into micron. Oops. Live and learn.

Is this off topic? Maybe a little. But this mess of a message is a reflection of the turmoil caused by my hatrid of the 9700 and Ati's inability to adress some stupid flickering textures.

Really, no reply is needed. Unless I missed something?

mad.gif

Yes, I agree this flashing texture issue should have been solved a long time ago but they said they have fixed it and it will be in the next driver release. The CAT3.0a wasn’t really a new driver, it just fixed the OpenGL stuttering problem some people experienced in CAT3.0. I think I read the new driver still is some weeks away, not sure though.

But really… is this texture-flashing thing really that bad? Before I bought the card I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to play because all textures would be flashing but when I installed the card and got OFP running I was relieved to see that it was not the case. I just got some flashing shadows sometimes and some flashing road texture once in a while. I can live with that for a couple of weeks more.

Other than that I think ATI is doing a great job. The 9700 is a really great card and they are getting better and better on driver support.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With OFP and the latest Radeon line of cards, there's a flashing shadows, flickering texture problem.

Has anyone found a card or driver setting that remedies this? Does anyone know the best way to bring this issue to BIS's or Codemaster's attention?

<span id='postcolor'>

The problem was caused by ATI driver bug. To fix it download ATI Catalyst 3.1 driver from ATI Web Site.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HK (HunterKiller) @ Feb. 18 2003,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> ....i hope they removed the Spyware from their drivers too  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

From the brief research I've just done on this it would seem it's not spyware it's related to checking with the Microsoft site for WHQL certification, you can read a Tom's Hardware article about it here smile.gif

I know the rules, sorry for bumping this really old thread sad_o.gif

But i searched the forums for a problem that i have and this is really the best suiting thread for it.

I have an ATI 9600 Pro ez.

I use the Catalyst 3.8 and the flickering appears on units/objects (the most on Helmets&Turrets) that are farther away than 400-500 m. With bare eyes it´s not so obvious but if looked through a scope or binoc it looks awful.

Only thing that i´m sure of is that it has nothing to do with OC´ing my VidCard.

Does someone know how to solve this texture bug ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Doh...forgot the FAQ again crazy_o.gif thx for the speedy reply smile_o.gif

Now i read it and none of the solutions is good for me.

I don´t want do install DX 8 cos i have 9.0b and some games i play need it. Changing to no HW/T&L is also not good.

Try running OFP in a lower Resulution rock.gif? nooooooo...why the hell should i rock.gif

I´m already running v1.94.

G Aperture size seems not to affect the flickering...i´ll give it another look after work.

txs anyway .. i´ll hope for some Godlike ATI Driver as x-mas present sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But i searched the forums for a problem that i have and this is really the best suiting thread for it.

No, it is not. This topic seems to be completely irrelevant to your problem - it would be better to create a new one.

Closing.