Sign in to follow this  
AlexVestin

ArmA3 Combat-pace and why it is flawed. (Pictures included)

I'll just try to keep it short and start of with why I think combat-pace is flawed and can be improved.
For those who do not know what I am talking about; combat-pace is the mode that can be toggled that makes you character run with his rifle raised and aimed down range.

Now, there are some things about it that make it seem broken/buggy. Best examples I have is:

• Walking with no weapon, toggling combat-pace to ON will lock you in walking mode, no matter if you try to toggle run/walk in any way.
  • There's no way of letting the player know if combat-pace is ON/OFF visually on the character, except for running with a rifle.
  • The system is intentionally or not, set up to give the player a second mode of moving, wich lacks several animations to be complete.
  • No visual clues if it's ON/OFF. Icons are not the right way to go since even more extra hud clutter is often not what players want.

Here's a picture showing exactly what I am talking about.
First row, GREEN, ArmA3 default animations with combat-pace toggled OFF.
Second row, YELLOW, ArmA3 default animations with combat-pace toggled ON.

animation_sets_and_fixes_DEFAULT.jpg
Click this link for larger image: https://image.ibb.co/nnAHyb/animation_sets_and_fixes_DEFAULT.jpg

Here's a picture showing suggested fixes, changes and animation stances that would complete the combat-pace mode.

First row, ORANGE, suggested fixes/changes for animations with combat-pace toggled OFF.
Second row, RED, suggested fixes/changes for animations with combat-pace toggled ON.

animation_sets_and_fixes_FIXED.jpg
Click this link for larger image: https://image.ibb.co/ePeGrw/animation_sets_and_fixes_FIXED.jpg

Open the two pictures and compare them next to eachother, and the changes will be more obvious.
Basically, what has to be done in these pictures is to have the animation on the first row have a different animation for the row below in combat-pace. Thereby making combat-pace visually enabled for all standing poses.

There are of course similar fixes that can be made to animations for pistols and launchers, also standing and crouching, for this to be a complete functioning combat-pace mode. I chose to just show this for the rifle animations since those are most used.
The animation for walking with a rifle lowered already has different versions of animations tested. The one I added for walking with a rifle lowered and combat-pace enabled is already available in the A3 files.

Would BI themselfs consider this worth fixing for the time it'd take? It's for the main movement system for ALL characters after all, and would just improve and add depth to the overall movement for everyone.
This would need some careful testing, and probably make the idle animation for standing with a rifle raised use the equivalent animation for combat-pace ON whenever you try to shoot or aim down sights.
If implemented right, watching players aim down sights are also going to be more visually displayed on their character.

I'd really like to hear some thoughts on this, or just some general discussion, since I feel this have been a problem for a few years now and it does not seem to get any changes to remove the clunkyness. I have not stayed around the forum, so I am not aware of any already given answers.

TLDR; Combat-pace is missing visual clues and animations to be a complete mode of moving.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nice analysis and pics, you make a clear and relevant point. However, I estimate the chances of BI working on this to be around zero. There was the development of the fatigue system and the addition of the limping leg. I think the default animations are considered by BI and most players to be 'good enough'. Nothing in Arma is perfect so I would be very surprised if BI launched a new project, opening the animation mechanics to really optimize this system. A final thing is that BI have announced that development on Arma is winding down, in order to move to other projects, which again makes it unlikely that they will touch the animations or animation system. Maybe Arma 4? :-)

• Like 1

I get killed all the time because I don't know if combat pace is ON or OFF. 

If its OFF and I try to strafe sideways and shoot, the gun won't fire, very annoying.  

Players actually use combat pace?

You have the same speed jogging with your iron sights up as you do in combat pace so I just prefer to have my iron sights up.

• Like 1

On 2018-02-05 at 1:56 PM, Imperator[TFD] said:

Players actually use combat pace?

It does have some benifits. If you want to move a bit slower, and be able to see more on the screen, combat-pace is viable. It's what it's for if you're after that little bit slower pacing moving into an area. Hip-firing is also a bit faster in the heat of the moment if combat-pace is toggled on. It's all optional, wich is good.

• Like 2