Jack Painz

Can i have workshop content on another hard drive ?

Hey there i have a small issue:

I want to play the breaking point mod after a very long time. I have installed Arma 3 on a small SSD. The SSD has now 8GB of free space left, but breaking point needs 9GB+. I dont want to install arma 3 on a HDD cuz i have only issues with the game then.

Is there a way to change the workshop path ? 

I changed the mod path in the arma 3 launcher and unsubscribed, then subscribed back the breaking point mod but it still tries to install them on my SSD and it won't work cuz not much space and the launcher gives me the message "path could not set correctly". I believe it tries to install it on my SSD.

When i move my game to my HDD and try again it works fine but i dont want the game there. I moved the game back to my SSD and left the mod on my SSD but it doesnt detects it lol.

Any ideas ?

Ps. Someone told me to use armasync, how does that works ? how can i change there the mod path ?

Pps. i tried already using the a3 launcher to install the mod, i also changed there the mod path but it wont install and tries still to install it on my SSD which makes no sense, i mean i changed the path but it still wants my SSD.

• Like 1

You can't - not without 3rd party tools.

I don't even know why the launcher has such an option : all it does (when it works), is duplicating donwloaded content to the specified path...

Well rip then, so i cant play arma 3 anymore. I bought it only because breaking point ago 2 years. I got recently a new PC and since that i cant play it GG. 

You can move the workshop folder somewhere else and create a symbolic link for it to the original location. Steam and Arma will see and use the link just as if the files were really there.

This has worked flawlessly for me for years. 

I've used a small and simple program called "Link Shell Extension" to create the links/junctions.

• Like 3

Just now, Greenfist said:

You can move the workshop folder somewhere else and create a symbolic link for it to the original location. Steam and Arma will see and use the link just as if the files were really there.

This has worked flawlessly for me for years. 

I've used a small and simple program called "Link Shell Extension" to create the links/junctions.

Alright gimme a short tutorial and i gonna do that, sounds perfect.

Find the Link Shell Extension program and install it. (There are others programs like it and you could do the same with mklink command too)

Close Steam.

Find your Workshop folder. It's in your Steam library folder on the SSD: <somethingsomethingsomething>\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content

In there you'll see Arma's folder "107410". Move it to your HDD. Right click the folder and select the Link program's "Pick link source" option from the context menu.

Go back to the folder where you moved the 107410 from. Right click on there and select "Drop As..." -> "Symbolic Link". This should create a 107410 link that looks like folder.

Open it to make sure it has a bunch of mod folders in it. (or maybe there's just the BR one if you don't have any others installed) They're named after the mods' ID numbers, so they don't say "Breaking Point" but something like 12345678.

Start Steam and Arma.

Note that I take no responsibility it something breaks because of this. But even in the worst case, you'll only have to delete the link and redownload everything.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jack Painz said:

Well rip then, so i cant play arma 3 anymore. I bought it only because breaking point ago 2 years. I got recently a new PC and since that i cant play it GG. 

You should consider the Ravage mod... a lot of really awesome things happening with this mod. Zombie apocalypse, etc. The mod is only 255MB and you can install it on any drive you wish. Several content creators (including myself) have zombie themed missions. There have been some dedicated servers out there as well. Ravage is not on workshop currently. You have to get it on the BI forums at the link below...

• Like 2

Just now, Donnie_Plays said:

You should consider the Ravage mod... a lot of really awesome things happening with this mod. Zombie apocalypse, etc. The mod is only 255MB and you can install it on any drive you wish. Several content creators (including myself) have zombie themed missions. There have been some dedicated servers out there as well. Ravage is not on workshop currently. You have to get it on the BI forums at the link below...

Big thanks for telling me this, i am ready to check out more zombie mods :).

I heard earlier also about exile etc. but i never played them cuz people said its a zombie survival server, and where i joined there, i never saw zombies etc. 

I hope you offer zombies !! and fractions or atleast later :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Painz said:

Ravage is a framework mod, which has Zombies and factions. :f:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jack Painz said:

Big thanks for telling me this, i am ready to check out more zombie mods :).

I heard earlier also about exile etc. but i never played them cuz people said its a zombie survival server, and where i joined there, i never saw zombies etc. 

I should clarify that Ravage is a framework mod. That means you can't just download the mod and automatically play. You have to find missions that use Ravage. You can search on workshop for Arma 3 for just the word "Ravage" and you'll find a ton of missions to play

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greenfist said:

Find the Link Shell Extension program and install it. (There are others programs like it and you could do the same with mklink command too)

Close Steam.

Find your Workshop folder. It's in your Steam library folder on the SSD: <somethingsomethingsomething>\Steamlibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content

In there you'll see Arma's folder "107410". Move it to your HDD. Right click the folder and select the Link program's "Pick link source" option from the context menu.

Go back to the folder where you moved the 107410 from. Right click on there and select "Drop As..." -> "Symbolic Link". This should create a 107410 link that looks like folder.

Open it to make sure it has a bunch of mod folders in it. (or maybe there's just the BR one if you don't have any others installed) They're named after the mods' ID numbers, so they don't say "Breaking Point" but something like 12345678.

Start Steam and Arma.

Note that I take no responsibility it something breaks because of this. But even in the worst case, you'll only have to delete the link and redownload everything.

I tried your guide right now but the arma 3 launcher wants still to que BP and try to download it but says still "path could not set correctly".

I installed Link Shell Extension, closed steam, then i copied the folder "107410" from my HDD (not SSD, cuz like i said i have no space left  on the SSD) to a new folder for all case, then i right clicked on the folder "107410" on the HDD inside the "SteamApps\workshop\content" folder, and choosed "pick link source".

Then i moved to my SSD and there to "SteamApps\workshop\content" and then right click and "drop as" -> "Symbolic Link". The folder is fine, i opened it and everything is in.

The problem is, that steam dont wants to detect or pick rly this folder. It makes no sense. I tried also to unsub the mod, and try the steps again from my copied "107410" folder ... still same result.

Ps. When i rename the folder to @BreakingPoint (from the HDD) and drag and drop it into the arma 3 launcher it loads up PERFECT.

But i am not able to update it when the mod should get a update in the feature in steam workshops ... 

On 2018/1/24 at 2:17 AM, Greenfist said:

Close Steam.

Start Steam and Arma.

Hey Greenfist, your method works very well for me, thanks very much!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 5:17 AM, Greenfist said:

Link Shell Extension

Wonderful. Had this bookmarked for far too long and finally decided to take the couple of minutes it took to do this. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2018 at 7:17 PM, Greenfist said:

Close Steam.

Start Steam and Arma.

If I do this and download new mods, will they go there? Even for updates?

39 minutes ago, Thedoc_tv said:

If I do this and download new mods, will they go there? Even for updates?

Yes they will. The folder acts like a real folder.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 2:17 AM, Greenfist said:

Close Steam.

Start Steam and Arma.

Hey man, I tried doing this and Arma keeps saying the mods are corrupted, when I install the mods again, it just installs them on my SSD. Ive tried multiple times but still no success. Any help would be appreciated